Deaf in both ears with ONE cochlear implant

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s been awhile since we chatted about this so just introducing the topic again.

Many people are only able to get one CI even though they are deaf in both ears.  There are some situations that make it very difficult to have only one CI, like when riding in the car and the CI side is facing the window and the deaf ear is towards people.

Some users find ordering a long cable to be helpful in those situations because with a long cable the Sonnet or OPUS 2 can sit on the other ear and its mics can pick up speech better.

Its a great work around.

On 7/14/2019 at 8:47 PM, Mary Beth said:

It’s been awhile since we chatted about this so just introducing the topic again.

Many people are only able to get one CI even though they are deaf in both ears.  There are some situations that make it very difficult to have only one CI, like when riding in the car and the CI side is facing the window and the deaf ear is towards people.

Some users find ordering a long cable to be helpful in those situations because with a long cable the Sonnet or OPUS 2 can sit on the other ear and its mics can pick up speech better.

Its a great work around.

Hi Mary Beth 

Every now and again my left ear hearing aid battery fails and I forget about it. The CI takes over. I'm very pleased about that. 

My problem is when training. Wether you get the best results by using HA and CI together or pulling out the HA. training the HA side must be good. 

Had to laugh yesterday, was using Angel, took out my HA and had a workout with the noise module with the babble option. I was doing reasonably, I swear there are a couple of mistakes in there it's a real challenge. I went to adjust the volume and discovered the headphones weren't plugged in. Had been hearing the speakers through the head phones. I try to decode the word first time without seeing the screen. 

I also realized that one could use the preview and take random shots, you can keep repeating until the word becomes real. 

Otherwise very happy, pat Boone sounded good 🤗

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds great @pdk

You made that listening challenge even more challenging!

• 1 month later...

I was interested in the comment about car use so I bought a 28cm dl-coil cable to give it a try. I must say it certainly helped me. I have a truck so there is a lot of wind noise compared to a car. Since I’m the driver, the wind noise can be pretty loud with the Sonnet towards the door. With the Sonnet on the right ear, I certainly noticed less wind noise, music seemed a bit better and it was easier to talk to my spouse. She’s telling me I should use it in the golf cart also😀 Actually I should probably use it all the time as she sits to my right almost always.

The cable isn’t cheap but I drive long distances enough I’m glad I took a chance and bought one. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I am so happy the longer cable helps you!  That is terrific @Hicksy!

I have to make an effort to read up on medel devices. 

I would be able to use my mini mic and let my wife wear it. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@pdk

Med-El has remote mic options too.....third party remote mics as well as Med-El’s AudioLink.