Pros and cons of using a hearing aid when rehabbing with first implant

Eugene Vahlkamp

I was activated with a Rondo 2 on 17 July for my right ear and have a hearing aid remaining in my left ear.  My speech recognition is coming along quite nicely, but my work with music is somewhat behind where I would like it to be.  I try to do a couple hours of "dedicated listening rehab" every day. I would judge my activation was a very successful as I could understand my audiologist immediately without any problems and the only noises that bothered me after activation was that I was hearing the low level ventilation noises in the room which I wasn't aware of before.

I  am wondering if any one has some guidance on whether it is best to do my rehab with or without my hearing aid in place.  I keep trading off for the time being. I'm looking forward to this October to find out the date when I can get my second implant done.  Then I will have a "balanced head".

I've been keeping good day-by-day notes on all my experiences (which I'm willing to share) and have been mentoring two others in the local area, one just was recently activated and the other one is planning for a September surgery.

My experiences with having a Cochlear Implant.docx

• HearPeers Heroes

HI @Eugene Vahlkamp

Congratulations!  It sounds like you are off to a fantastic start.  Being bilateral is awesome.  Keep us posted on your second surgery date.

I trained music differently than speech.  Speech I trained each CI side alone and also together.  Music I trained ONLY together.

Before I received my second CI, I trained my first CI solo and spent as much time as possible CI alone.  At first that was after work until bed.  Then it increased to part of my work day too.

32 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Eugene Vahlkamp

Your attachment is not working for some reason.

D495BB04-ED62-4BAA-A747-06AC6B45ADC3.png

I finally figured out what the problem was with my file.  It was 8.1KB over the limit for attachment.  I put everything in one Word file for my convince re table of contents and pagination.  If you want the whole thing I did, I need to break it up and send the main body in one file and all the attachments in another file.

Eugene Vahlkamp

• 1 year later...

I'm new to HearPeers but I have been implanted in my right ear since August 2019, and getting my left side implanted next month! Browsing through the topics..

I had my hearing aid on in my left ear after implantation for mayyybe 1-2 months post activation. I started noticing a big difference in the sound quality coming in from both ears and it felt, hindering. I took my hearing aid out, but kept it in my purse just in case and never felt I needed it. Months later I put it back in for curiosity and OH MY GOODNESS, it sounded HORRIBLE. 

Music is definitely something I pushed for myself. It is something that I was probably the most nervous about in pursuing implantation. Almost as soon as I was activated, I started listening to music, but mostly songs I already knew well. So I could pair my memory with what I was hearing. There was one day I was in the truck with my boyfriend and there was an abrasive noise during a song and I asked him what it was. He listened for a bit and said it sounded like cymbals. When I learned what it was, it was like my brain started comprehending what it was and it started sounding more like a sound than a noise. I would also watch videos of instrumentals to pair the sounds with a visual cue. 

Now I have no issues with music. I noticed recently that I'm no getting better and understanding lyrics without having to look them up. It's a crazy journey and I'm excited to see how things progress after my left side is implanted next month. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @Samantha

Sounds like your first CI journey has been terrific.  You will love being bilateral!

Which processor are you using?

@Mary Beth (just figured out how to tag) 

I'm using the sonnet and rondo 2.

Sonnet mostly at work because of streaming with phones and EAS. Rondo usually other times as its easy to just grab and go.  During the summer months though, we spend a lot of time on the water, so i leave it in the waterwear for a few extra uses. ;)