Newly Implanted 11/7/19, New to forum

Roxane

Hello! 
My husband was implanted with the Synchrony on 11/7 and is set to be activated on 11/21 with the Rondo 2. He has Single Sided Deafness (sudden onset), sensioneural hearing loss. 42yrs old. 

Thank you to all who share on this forum. It has been so helpful to prepare for surgery and everything to come/expect/anticipate later. This weekend alone, I referenced the forum several times a day! If we had a question, someone had an answer! 

Recovery has been decent and  what to expect thus far. Pain is manageable and he is opting not to take anything.  Slight balance issue when initially standing. He is however very bothered by the swelling and the “squishy” feeling he has on his head, not so much the incision site. Then there is the taste issues.  Hopefully this will all subside in time. If anyone has any suggestions on the swelling we would love to hear about it. He tries to stay upright during the day and has been very low key. 

Many thanks again to you all! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome to HearPeers @Roxane and congratulations to your husband on his CI!

I recommend sleeping with his head elevated for a bit to reduce swelling.  Some people sleep in a recliner.  Others prop themselves up with pillows.

Roxane

i was implanted last March and activated in April. While I didn’t experience any balance or taste issues I did have swelling - or what I thought was swelling - over the implant site. I called my surgeon and, after checking with him, his nurse called back and said it was just the magnet/implant not being flush with my head. While I thought the implant would be flush and I’d have no “bulge” apparently I was wrong. The surgeon confirmed that at my one month follow up. However, my bump wasn’t squishy - so I would recommend you talk to your husband’s surgeon just to be sure. 

Thank you both for all the info. The squishy feeling has subsided quite a bit. Today the nausea and vomiting hit him out of nowhere, which was an unpleasant surprise since he had been feeling pretty good. He hoped to return to work tomorrow but I’m thinking he may feel otherwise and I am fine with that. No need to rush this recovery. He was wearing an anti nausea patch until yesterday, so I’m assuming things are crashing down now that all the meds are out of his system. Took a couple Bonine/Meclazine and I did follow up with his surgeon as well to be safe.