Roger Pen

Morgan

Hello! 

I haven't posted on here in awhile and I'm not too familiar with how hearpeers works. I am hoping this is ok to post though. I know MedEl now came out with the audiolink ( I have one I absolutely love it). I have a RogerPen that is barely used, along with both of the sonnet battery covers to go with the pen. Would anyone be interested in it? I havethe charger and all of the cables as well. The pen works perfectly, I only used it like twice. Let me know if you're interested!

Thanks,

Morgan 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Morgan

I am glad you love your AudioLink!  How are you using it?

Yes I love it! I have been waiting and waiting to get it as soon as I saw that MedEl was coming out with it. The day it came out I literally had a timer set to refresh the page LOL. I use it a lot though. I use it mostly for music when I'm at work. I've used it a few times when we go out to eat with friends but when it is just my husband and I, I don't. I also have used it quite a bit for tv. I still keep the captions on sometimes,frankly because it's habbit. I love the audiolink on the plane though! I was watching a movie and I love that it just completely drowns out the noise around me with the mic setting. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Morgan

I am glad you are doing so well with the AudioLink.  It is giving me problems so I’d like to learn from you a bit.  I hope you don’t mind more questions.

When you listen it music with your AudioLink, do you have it plugged into the sound source?

When you listen to the TV with your AudioLink, do you have the dock plugged into the TV?

I LOVE questions lol. Ask away. 

When I listen to music at work, I have the audiolink plugged into the computer. I have to use two cables for that, please see the attached image. The one cable plugs into the computer and the other connects cable to the audiolink. It then uses the bluetooth to stream to your processors. With music you HAVE to have the audiolink plugged into the sound source. You cannot use bluetooth for music. 

When I watch TV with the audiolink, I set my audiolink on the doc and my wonderful husband connected the doc into our tv for me. It then uses the bluetooth to stream to your processors, but only up to 10 feet. 

I hope this helps!

IMG-0209.jpg

Hi guys 

Just wondering Morgan if you can tell me about the roger,  i've been using mine today plugged into my phone to listen to music and there's a lot of environmental noise coming in at the same time.   Is it something you noticed when you tried the pen?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Nikki

Med-El and Roger using Roger 21 integrated battery door receivers or Roger X (02) set to the Sonnet setting always mix our mics and Roger audio input.  

You can get 100/0 mix ratio (streamed sound only) using Artone neckloop on T or using the AudioLink (stay on M and set the mix ratio with the button).  I get much better range using the Artone and it allows me to keep my phone in my pocket.  The AudioLink works best cabled into the phone for music (2 cables required or a 3.5 to 2.5 special cable) and it has a small range.  But it does have true left right stereo for music.

Best music sound and true left right stereo for music for me is BOSE QC35 BT headphones.

@Morgan Have you ever tried the BOSE QC35 BT headphones or the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop for music?  If you have, how do you find they compare to the sound quality of the AudioLink for music?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Nikki

I would encourage you to try the AudioLink at a Med-El meeting and then decide if it is a good fit for you.  It gives me many problems.

I a still newish to hearpeers and not sure how to reply independently to each persons comments.

@Mary Beth- You're welcome for the pics, I hope it helps!

@Nikki I can't say too much about the roger pen. Honestly I wasn't a fan of it because the covers that go with it on my processor are longer and it was hard to keep on. Therefore I didn't use it as much, like I said, maybe twice or three times. Off the top of my head though, the audiolink has a mixed microphone button that allows you to here what is being streamed through the audiolink & still hear what is going on around you OR (my favorite part of the audiolink) when you press the mixed microphone button, you only hear what is being streamed to your processor. Every other noise around you is shut out. Please see the attached pictures. When the mixed microphone button is white (pic. 1), that is when I am streaming music at work but can still hear what is going on around me. It doesn't drown out volume or anything so whatever is going on around you id going to be at the exact volume if you use the audiolink this way. When the mixed microphone button is off, then I hear ONLY the music, nothing else. I use this a lot at work when it becomes to loud for me and I am trying to focus. Make sense? I like the music quality wit the audiolink, it takes awhile to get used to it. I have noticed that to get a real cear sound, I have to make sure the top of the audiolink is pointing at me. I have a meeting Saturday actually and am going to ask Michael more about the audiolink because I've had minor issues with it. I still prefer it over the roger pen though just for size/etc. 

@Mary Beth- I have used BOSE headphones before but I ended up not liking them for multiple reasons. They didn't actually go all the way over my processors so I would still hear outside environmental noise and I could only wear them for a certain amount of time before they became uncomfortable from sitting on my head. I would start to get headaches. Also, what problems are you experiencing with audiolink? 

IMG-0227.jpg

IMG-0228.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

Great pictures @Morgan!

The problems I have with the AudioLink are static sounds, sometimes losing connection to one Sonnet or the other, very limited range.  With the Artone I can set my phone in the living room and still hear the streaming audio as I walk all over my home (upstairs, downstairs, different rooms).  I am also spoiled by not needing to have anything cabled to my phone.

But I love that the AudioLink is a great fit for you and want to keep learning from you.  Like your tip about needing to position the AudioLink so the top is pointing at you.  Keep on teaching me.  Smile!

@Mary Beth-I totally get what you mean with your audiolink issues. I have the same problem where sometimes I lose connection to one Sonnet and not the other. For me, that is mostly when I am watching TV and sitting further away from the audiolink vs when I listen to music. It happened when I would listen to music but as soon as I keep the audiolink pointed toward me, I haven't had that issue since. I still experience static and my wonderful computer technology man of a husband explained to me that it could be multiple things. It could be where you are streaming the music from, if its directly coming from the computer then I have had to play around with the wires/ twist them/etc. If it is from your phone, I get more clarity when its from my phone but some songs have to play with the settings of sound to turn down the base/etc. Then it sounds a lot more clear to me. These are all things I am going to bring up at our meeting this Saturday! Overall though I have noticed, everything is just more clear if the audiolink is directly by you. A lot during th day I keep it clipped to the neck line of my shirt/sweatshirt if I am not listening to music through my computer. That way if someone calls I can just hit the bluetooth button on the audiolink to accept the call and it sounds crystal clear.

I am 50-50 between if I love the audiolink for the phone purposes or the music. Listening to music from my phone if I am not sitting down, I just keep the phone in my pocket and clip the audolink to my shirt. It's definitely more clear that way vs if I am streaming it through a computer. ASK AWAY! I love talking about the audiolink/ anything MedEl in general. If I can help, I want to. I actually have a tattoo of my Sonnet HAHA :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Morgan

Where are you located in the US?  I am in the top northeast corner of NY state.

Phone in your pocket and cables up to the AudioLink clipped on your shirt for music listening on the go?

I had not liked neckloops before Med-El asked me to review the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop which Med-El includes in Rondo 2 kits in some countries (not the US).  You can see that neckloop mentioned in Med-El’s YouTube video about unboxing the Rondo2.  I am very thankful that Med-El introduced me to that neckloop because it is my most used piece of tech and T setting delivers streamed audio only while MT lets us mix.

So when I started using the AudioLink, I was comparing it to that neckloop.  The neckloop wins on range, ease of use, wireless-no cables, consistency- does not lose connection, no static.  The AudioLink wins on true left/right stereo for music, no need to be on MT nor T.

If the AudioLink had better sound quality and much much better range and was truly wireless, I would find it much more useful.

Unfortunately neither the Artone neckloop (due to EMI) nor the AudioLink (due to FAA restrictions noted in the AudioLink user manual) can be used on planes.  So when flying I use the BOSE QC35 BT headphones.  I also have the DAI Med-El cables (Red jack 90/10 mix) and appropriate battery covers with 3 holes, but I don’t tend to use those on planes.  I guess I am just very used to not using cables.

I bet your tattoo looks awesome!  How long have you been implanted?  I was implanted in 2015.

• HearPeers Heroes

AudioLink and Roger Pen/Select both have the same restrictions about not being used on planes.  This is from the AudioLink user manual.  They fall into tech that is not allowed to be used on planes unfortunately.

D0CC6104-7BCD-4F64-8FB7-FFC556BCD419.png

@Mary Beth- I am currently in Cincinnati Ohio but my husband and I are moving out West within the next 6 months. 

I hated the neck loop! I got it when I was first implants. I received my left CI in July of 2016 at Johns Hopkins and my right CI in December 2017 at University of Cincinnati. I lost my hearing due to an autoimmune disease but have always had limited hearing in my right ear due to childhood cancer. So I wore a hearing aid in that ear ever since college. 

Yes I listen to music this way a lot! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Morgan

Sounds like an exciting move.  Good luck!

I didn’t like the Quattro neckloop I received in my activation kits in 2015 either.  It is why I was surprised that I like the Artone neckloop so much.

Tech is very individual.  Some people like one item, others prefer a different item.  It is great that we have so many choices.

If you learn anything helpful about the AudioLink at your meeting, let us know.  I would like to figure out a better way to use mine.

I love learning from other CI users.  Thanks for teaching me.