Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello All,

It's Tyler here. I just wanted to say hello. I got my implant on 04/06/20 but because of the virus I haven't been activated yet. So far I am very pleased with the residual hearing after surgery, my perception is I haven't lost any additional hearing in my implanted ear. I'm excited to get activated and hear what I've been missing!

Has anyone here SCUBA dived with their CI? I've found conflicting info via google, I've inquired with my Audiologist, I'm just hoping to hear some first hand info.

 

Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tna9001 said:

Hello All,

It's Tyler here. I just wanted to say hello. I got my implant on 04/06/20 but because of the virus I haven't been activated yet. So far I am very pleased with the residual hearing after surgery, my perception is I haven't lost any additional hearing in my implanted ear. I'm excited to get activated and hear what I've been missing!

Has anyone here SCUBA dived with their CI? I've found conflicting info via google, I've inquired with my Audiologist, I'm just hoping to hear some first hand info.

 

Thank you! 

Hi Tyler - I hope you can be activated soon!  I haven't SCUBA dived but I have a friend with a CI who goes diving.  She has not used her processor when she does.  I don't know what the pressure would do to it but she doesn't want to find out the hard way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tna9001

Welcome Tyler and congratulations on your surgery.  Which processor did you choose?  Does your CI center know when they are opening yet?

The fun time will start with your activation!

I’m glad your surgery was able to be performed in April.  A lot of people have had their surgeries postponed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mary Featherston said:

Hi Tyler - I hope you can be activated soon!  I haven't SCUBA dived but I have a friend with a CI who goes diving.  She has not used her processor when she does.  I don't know what the pressure would do to it but she doesn't want to find out the hard way. 

Hi Mary!

Thanks for that info, that's encouraging! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@tna9001

Welcome Tyler and congratulations on your surgery.  Which processor did you choose?  Does your CI center know when they are opening yet?

The fun time will start with your activation!

I’m glad your surgery was able to be performed in April.  A lot of people have had their surgeries postponed.

Hi Mary!

I've got the Med El Sonnet 2. Yeah, I'm glad I was able to get the surgery done at least. They offered to do the activation but I didn't want to risk going into the hospital due to the COVID-19. Nobody know when they'll be open yet, I'm hoping by May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tna9001

 

Which CI center do you go to?  I go to New York Eye & Ear Institute in NYC.

Let’s tag @MED-EL Moderator to get the official answer about scuba diving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mary Beth said:

@tna9001

 

Which CI center do you go to?  I go to New York Eye & Ear Institute in NYC.

Let’s tag @MED-EL Moderator to get the official answer about scuba diving.

I had my surgery at Duke University Hospital in Durham NC. I'll be doing my follow up care with a local Audiologist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Mary Beth thanks for tagging us! 

@tna9001 Congrats on your CI and fingers crossed that your activation can happen soon! 

I will check with our product experts about the SCUBA diving and will get back to you asap. 

Best regards, Verena 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2020 at 4:22 PM, tna9001 said:

Hello All,

It's Tyler here. I just wanted to say hello. I got my implant on 04/06/20 but because of the virus I haven't been activated yet. So far I am very pleased with the residual hearing after surgery, my perception is I haven't lost any additional hearing in my implanted ear. I'm excited to get activated and hear what I've been missing!

Has anyone here SCUBA dived with their CI? I've found conflicting info via google, I've inquired with my Audiologist, I'm just hoping to hear some first hand info.

 

Thank you! 

Hi again @tna9001

I've now heard back from our experts and I do have good news for you: SCUBA diving with your MED-EL CI is fine, as long as you remove the external audio processor. 

This statement is taken from the Instructions for Use for our SYNCHRONY cochlear implant: 

"Most water sports should not cause any problem as long as the external parts of the implant system are removed. If headgear or face mask are worn, care must be taken to ensure that the strap is not too tight over the site of the implant. In case the MEDEL implant user wants to dive, the user should consult an experienced physician about the possibilities and personal restrictions when performing water sports, especially in the case of SCUBA diving. The implant is robust against pressure changes which occur during SCUBA diving to depths up to 50 m (165 ft)."

Hope this information helps! If have any other questions about sports with your new CI, please just let us know!

Best regards, Verena 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MED-EL Moderator said:

Hi again @tna9001

I've now heard back from our experts and I do have good news for you: SCUBA diving with your MED-EL CI is fine, as long as you remove the external audio processor. 

This statement is taken from the Instructions for Use for our SYNCHRONY cochlear implant: 

"Most water sports should not cause any problem as long as the external parts of the implant system are removed. If headgear or face mask are worn, care must be taken to ensure that the strap is not too tight over the site of the implant. In case the MEDEL implant user wants to dive, the user should consult an experienced physician about the possibilities and personal restrictions when performing water sports, especially in the case of SCUBA diving. The implant is robust against pressure changes which occur during SCUBA diving to depths up to 50 m (165 ft)."

Hope this information helps! If have any other questions about sports with your new CI, please just let us know!

Best regards, Verena 

Awesome, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...