Hi!

tna9001

Hello All,

It's Tyler here. I just wanted to say hello. I got my implant on 04/06/20 but because of the virus I haven't been activated yet. So far I am very pleased with the residual hearing after surgery, my perception is I haven't lost any additional hearing in my implanted ear. I'm excited to get activated and hear what I've been missing!

Has anyone here SCUBA dived with their CI? I've found conflicting info via google, I've inquired with my Audiologist, I'm just hoping to hear some first hand info.

Thank you! 

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, tna9001 said:

Hello All,

It's Tyler here. I just wanted to say hello. I got my implant on 04/06/20 but because of the virus I haven't been activated yet. So far I am very pleased with the residual hearing after surgery, my perception is I haven't lost any additional hearing in my implanted ear. I'm excited to get activated and hear what I've been missing!

Has anyone here SCUBA dived with their CI? I've found conflicting info via google, I've inquired with my Audiologist, I'm just hoping to hear some first hand info.

Thank you! 

Hi Tyler - I hope you can be activated soon!  I haven't SCUBA dived but I have a friend with a CI who goes diving.  She has not used her processor when she does.  I don't know what the pressure would do to it but she doesn't want to find out the hard way. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@tna9001

Welcome Tyler and congratulations on your surgery.  Which processor did you choose?  Does your CI center know when they are opening yet?

The fun time will start with your activation!

I’m glad your surgery was able to be performed in April.  A lot of people have had their surgeries postponed.

1 hour ago, Mary Featherston said:

Hi Tyler - I hope you can be activated soon!  I haven't SCUBA dived but I have a friend with a CI who goes diving.  She has not used her processor when she does.  I don't know what the pressure would do to it but she doesn't want to find out the hard way. 

Hi Mary!

Thanks for that info, that's encouraging! 

40 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@tna9001

Welcome Tyler and congratulations on your surgery.  Which processor did you choose?  Does your CI center know when they are opening yet?

The fun time will start with your activation!

I’m glad your surgery was able to be performed in April.  A lot of people have had their surgeries postponed.

Hi Mary!

I've got the Med El Sonnet 2. Yeah, I'm glad I was able to get the surgery done at least. They offered to do the activation but I didn't want to risk going into the hospital due to the COVID-19. Nobody know when they'll be open yet, I'm hoping by May.

• HearPeers Heroes

@tna9001

Which CI center do you go to?  I go to New York Eye & Ear Institute in NYC.

Let’s tag @MED-EL Moderator to get the official answer about scuba diving.

1 minute ago, Mary Beth said:

@tna9001

Which CI center do you go to?  I go to New York Eye & Ear Institute in NYC.

Let’s tag @MED-EL Moderator to get the official answer about scuba diving.

I had my surgery at Duke University Hospital in Durham NC. I'll be doing my follow up care with a local Audiologist. 

Hi @Mary Beth thanks for tagging us! 

@tna9001 Congrats on your CI and fingers crossed that your activation can happen soon! 

I will check with our product experts about the SCUBA diving and will get back to you asap. 

Best regards, Verena 

On 4/12/2020 at 4:22 PM, tna9001 said:

Hello All,

Thank you! 

Hi again @tna9001

I've now heard back from our experts and I do have good news for you: SCUBA diving with your MED-EL CI is fine, as long as you remove the external audio processor. 

This statement is taken from the Instructions for Use for our SYNCHRONY cochlear implant: 

"Most water sports should not cause any problem as long as the external parts of the implant system are removed. If headgear or face mask are worn, care must be taken to ensure that the strap is not too tight over the site of the implant. In case the MEDEL implant user wants to dive, the user should consult an experienced physician about the possibilities and personal restrictions when performing water sports, especially in the case of SCUBA diving. The implant is robust against pressure changes which occur during SCUBA diving to depths up to 50 m (165 ft)."

Hope this information helps! If have any other questions about sports with your new CI, please just let us know!

Best regards, Verena 

1 hour ago, MED-EL Moderator said:

Hi again @tna9001

I've now heard back from our experts and I do have good news for you: SCUBA diving with your MED-EL CI is fine, as long as you remove the external audio processor. 

This statement is taken from the Instructions for Use for our SYNCHRONY cochlear implant: 

"Most water sports should not cause any problem as long as the external parts of the implant system are removed. If headgear or face mask are worn, care must be taken to ensure that the strap is not too tight over the site of the implant. In case the MEDEL implant user wants to dive, the user should consult an experienced physician about the possibilities and personal restrictions when performing water sports, especially in the case of SCUBA diving. The implant is robust against pressure changes which occur during SCUBA diving to depths up to 50 m (165 ft)."

Hope this information helps! If have any other questions about sports with your new CI, please just let us know!

Best regards, Verena 

Awesome, thank you!

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am Robert,

I have a question if diving is also allowed in the Concerto series ? 
Me and my older son dive.  The youngest is also very interested.

I don't know whether to help him in his interest in diving or to direct him to another hobby.

We don't want to show him how I dive with my older son.

I don't want to see his disappointment later

thank for help.

best regards

Robert

Hi @Robert thanks for your question! 
I just double-checked with our product experts and they confirmed that SCUBA diving also should not be a problem with CONCERTO implants: 

"Most water sports should not cause any problem as long as the external parts of the implant system are removed. If headgear or face mask are worn, care must be taken to ensure that the strap is not too tight over the site of the implant. In case the MED‑EL implant user wants to dive, the user should consult an experienced physician about the possibilities and personal restrictions when performing water sports, especially in the case of SCUBA diving. The implant is robust against pressure changes which occur during SCUBA diving to depths up to 50 m (165 ft)."

Hope that helps! 

Kind regards, Verena 

• Like 2