Very loud new Map

Kylie

• HearPeers Heroes

I had my 12 month testing, where at the first test with the electrodes showed that my brain was quite under stimulated. I confirmed that I thought I was hearing quite well and hadn't noticed any straining etc. She says maybe I had acclimatised more than expected, but that based on testing I would be missing sounds in the environment.

Gave me new maps to work through, all with 'gradually' more power. I'm on the second new one and it's SO LOUD. It reminds me of the shock of early activation weeks where all the sound was overwhelming.

Is this a common experience?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

No I don’t believe it is common.  Usually after those early activation MAPs that can be quite shocking to our brains, we reach a stable MAP.  The timing of when we reach a stable MAP varies.  After reaching a stable MAP, our MAPping adjustments are usually smaller adjustments.

What test was used to determine that you were under stimulated?

Are you able to use your volume control to lower the volume right now and gradually increase it as you adjust?

When you used the Artone for your CI side,  did you find you had to increase the volume on your phone/tablet?

If our brains get used to quiet stimulation, it can take awhile to adjust to appropriate stimulation.

Sorry this is happening.

• HearPeers Heroes

That wasn't my experience, at a year in I was getting to a stable map, as @Mary Beth says.  Can you turn the volume down with your Fine Tuner?

• HearPeers Heroes
11 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kylie

No I don’t believe it is common.  Usually after those early activation MAPs that can be quite shocking to our brains, we reach a stable MAP.  The timing of when we reach a stable MAP varies.  After reaching a stable MAP, our MAPping adjustments are usually smaller adjustments.

What test was used to determine that you were under stimulated?

Are you able to use your volume control to lower the volume right now and gradually increase it as you adjust?

When you used the Artone for your CI side,  did you find you had to increase the volume on your phone/tablet?

If our brains get used to quiet stimulation, it can take awhile to adjust to appropriate stimulation.

Sorry this is happening.

The test involved sticking electrodes to my head, blocking my good ear, then playing various sounds while the computer tracked the resulting brain activity. Apparently many sounds didn't get the brain stimulation expected.

No I didn't have to turn up the artone volume, once I got it working at all. 

I could reduce the volume on the fine tuner but I'm reluctant as the whole point is to try this one for 2 weeks, then I'm going back for more tests and feedback. So I feel like I should stick it out?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

Cool test.  I had a functional NIRS test as part of a research project after getting my CIs.  Maybe it is similar to that.

Definitely good to stay with the program as long as you can tolerate the volume.

• HearPeers Heroes

I always found that right after a mapping everything sounded really loud but after a day or two it stopped bothering me. Your maps seems to be way louder than what I experienced though. 

When is your next appointment? 

I recall once the audi gave me varying volumes to work through. She said I didn't need to go all the way to the last program. Just stick to the one most comfortable. 

As long as you're not getting headaches and can manage the loudness try to see how much you can take. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

I have been thinking of you and wondering how things are going with your new MAP?

• HearPeers Heroes
36 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kylie

I have been thinking of you and wondering how things are going with your new MAP?

I'm slowly getting used to it. It's not as shocking today as it was a week ago. I guess that's that idea! Certain sounds are still very loud eg water running, the letter 's'. It's not driving me crazy so I'm sticking it out.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie
Have you noticed if it is improving your everyday listening functioning?

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kylie
Have you noticed if it is improving your everyday listening functioning?

Haven't noticed functionally