ASM 3 question about mic settings

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello @MED-EL Moderator

Sonnet 2 and the upcoming Rondo 3 both use ASM 3 with adaptive intelligence.  I really liked the videos you released with Peter Nopp and your team explaining ASM 3 when the Sonnet 2 released.

I have a couple of questions about ASM 3.

1). Is it possible to have our audiologists create a MAP in ASM 3 that always uses one mic in the omnidirectional setting if we prefer that?

2). Is it possible to have MAPs in different program slots at the same time with one MAP using omni always, one MAP using Adaptive Intelligence Mild and one MAP using Adaptive Intelligence Strong?  (This would be very helpful in allowing us to experiment with these mic settings in our real lives without needing to keep returning to our audiologists for a new mic setting.  Because hearing in our real lives is so much different than hearing in a test booth or at an appt.)

3)  Does Adaptive Intelligence Strong setting use more battery power than omni/adaptive intelligence mild?

4)  When we stream audio from the AudioLink, what happens to our mic setting?

Thank you as always for your help.  I am very excited to try ASM 3.

• Like 3

Hi @Mary Beth

thanks for your questions! 

I am checking with our product experts and will get back to you. 

Best regards, Verena 

• Like 2

Hi @Mary Beth, here are the answers from our product experts: 

1). Is it possible to have our audiologists create a MAP in ASM 3 that always uses one mic in the omnidirectional setting if we prefer that?

Yes, you can set the directionality for each map to “Omni, Natural, Adaptive, or Auto-Adaptive”. So this means you could easily create an Omni-only map. Auto-Adaptive could also be an option, as it is Omni in quiet, and switches to Adaptive directionality in noise.

2). Is it possible to have MAPs in different program slots at the same time with one MAP using omni always, one MAP using Adaptive Intelligence Mild and one MAP using Adaptive Intelligence Strong?  (This would be very helpful in allowing us to experiment with these mic settings in our real lives without needing to keep returning to our audiologists for a new mic setting.  Because hearing in our real lives is so much different than hearing in a test booth or at an appt.)

Yes! With MAESTRO 8.0, we introduced map-specific front end settings. This also applies to Wind Noise Reduction and other settings. This means you can set up unique maps exactly like you wanted. And with the session view in MAESTRO, this is actually very easy and straightforward for audiologists, because you can see all the maps and change front end settings with just a few clicks. However, this is only possible for SONNET 2 and RONDO 3, not for SONNET users. 

3)  Does Adaptive Intelligence Strong setting use more battery power than omni/adaptive intelligence mild?

Although there are slight differences in current draw between a basic Omni map and map using all ASM 3.0 features, there should not be a noticeable effect on battery life. This is important, because like our FineHearing sound coding, it offers full performance without any trade-off in battery life.  

4)  When we stream audio from the AudioLink, what happens to our mic setting?

When streaming with AudioLink, then the mic mode does not change. Whatever the mic mode is, is stays with streaming. The mic mode only changes when there is something connected to the audio processor, e.g. Direct Audio Input or Roger 21. 

Hope that helps! 

Best regards, Verena 

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Thank you so much for getting those answers Verena.  I am so happy we can have MAPs with all different features & mic settings on the Sonnet 2 or Rondo 3 at the same time!  This is so much better!  Thank you!

And as an omni mic fan, I am thrilled omni only remains an option.  But I am very curious about ASM 3, especially adaptive intelligence strong, for use in noise and can not wait to try it.

Thank you again for being so patient with all of my questions.  I appreciate it very much.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I am late to this one also, but it is new for me so here goes.

My fine tuner echo has 4 different programs, but as I understood them, they just have higher volume limits on each one. I have tried all 4 programs and really can't tell any difference between them. At the last appointment, she spent more time pinging my head with tones, (which set my tinnitus on a high level). Then she wanted me to tell her what sounded better as she adjusted things and all I could hear most of the time was the machinery running in my head (tinnitus).

I don't have any directionality of sound. It just sounds like it comes from the middle of my head. I guess that means the mics are set to omni? Have there been changes in the last few years?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Glenn Neff

The app/remote moves us between those 4 programs but what is stored in each program slot is up to our audiologist.

Rondo 3 has two mics and uses automatic sound management 3 (ASM 3).  Our audiologists have a lot of features and settings to choose from to create different programs.

1) mic setting options include:

omni

natural

adaptive

2) wind block setting options include:

off

mild

strong 

3) ambient noise reduction setting options include:

off

mild

strong 

4) transient noise reduction setting options include:

off

mild

strong 

5) adaptive intelligence (processor switches above features based on sound environment automatically) setting options include:

off

mild

strong 

Various combinations of the above can be stored in the 4 program slots.

If switching to an omni mic program, I strong suggest ensuring that it is not too loud while you are at the appt.  (Omni mic setting with all features off is my personal favorite.)

@Mary Beth

Thank you for that. I will check with my audiologist and see if I can get clarification as to what she has set. 

Just one implant is such a quantum leap over my hearing aids I have a hard time imagining that it has more capabilities that I have yet to explore. 

• Like 2

@Mary Beth This is what I got back from my Audiologist...Seems strange that she isn't trying any of the other things you mentioned. Looks like it is relying on the processor to decide what I hear.

Hi, your first program has microphone directionality that can change and the second program is directionally focused forward and then the third and fourth programs are louder versions of the first and second programs. I hope that helps.

Seems to me she isn't up on programming the processor. I like the second program better for most things. I really can't tell any difference in the settings other than the volume. 

I think I am more confused than I was before LOL