Memory and multitasking issues

Lori Martin

Hi all

I haven't written in awhile for I have been extremely busy with doctors. Since I gained my hearing which is still on the muffled side, situations just hadn't been so good.

I was referred to a Neuropsychology to work with my brain for something just hadn't been right since 2018 lost my hearing.

The Neuropsychology worked very hard by working with the brain and had been overly worked.

Yesterday I received my results and she explained that my memory and multitasking wasn't good at all, she explained that when I lost my hearing back in 2018 then had Cochlear Implantation in 2019 my hearing is still muffled and that it has been very difficult to cope. I have been working so much harder with all my daily life.

Tears were upon myself with the heard of the results and again I asked if I would get any better.

Again know one can give me an answer, I said in a low tone voice is it to much to ask for somewhat of normality back.

Absolutely not!!

Has anyone here experienced any of this and if so could you share your experiences and thoughts.

I am trying so hard and my team sees this as well.

I'm differently not a quitter by far.

I am hoping once I can hear somewhat normal that the rest will regain back.

Thank you

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lori Martin

I am sorry things are so difficult at the moment.  You have been through a lot.

Learning to hear with a cochlear implant takes time and practice.  It can be mentally exhausting at first.  Our brains are figuring out new sounds.

Are you able to practice aural rehab with someone several times a week?  Keeping a journal of new sounds you hear is an exciting way to stay motivated and optimistic during the beginning of our journeys.

I hope you are able to talk with someone during this difficult time.  Maybe your CI center will have a recommendation?

@Mary Beth Hi it is so challenging, I am most definitely keeping a journal and writing as well just so I can look back with all the hard work that I have put into this along with sounds that I never heard before. That part is most definitely exciting.

As far as practicing Aural rehabilitation with someone no I am not.

I am in therapy and have been now for almost three years.

That's a good idea getting in touch with CI maybe they do have some answers.

Thank you

On 8/1/2020 at 3:24 AM, Lori Martin said:

@Mary Beth Hi it is so challenging, I am most definitely keeping a journal and writing as well just so I can look back with all the hard work that I have put into this along with sounds that I never heard before. That part is most definitely exciting.

As far as practicing Aural rehabilitation with someone no I am not.

I am in therapy and have been now for almost three years.

That's a good idea getting in touch with CI maybe they do have some answers.

Thank you

Hi Lori 

https://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poems/famous/inspirational/

Maybe listening to something you enjoy while reading it, over and over will help. 

Would be great to have a partner to read for you. Might be fun to connect with some one in the forum using zoom or meet. 

Whatever you do, best wishes. 

Peter