Increased bass versus Artone?

Watersail

Today, I decided to swap out my Artone for the AudioLink for my work-at-home needs (music/phone calls). Mainly because I'd pick up a loud pulsating buzz over the telecoil at random times throughout the day coming from an adjacent unit (probably above or below me). I haven't used the AudioLink in a good while since I had trouble with understanding things through it back the day. I have it set in the AudioLink base with the stereo plugged in and set it to turn off the mic on the processor.

One thing I've noticed was the increased amount of bass compared to the Artone which makes the speech a little bit muffled.

Is this extra bass common? Any suggestions to MAP changes I can take to my audiologist other than to reduce the power to the low end?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

Now that you have the AudioLink in its dock connected to your stereo, have you tried altering the bass/treble settings on your stereo to see if that helps improve the clarity?

The pulsating EMI (electromagnetic interference) you experience at times when you are using telecoil with the Artone may be microwaves or washing machines/dryers.

@Mary Beth thank you for the reply!  It is connected to my computers, but on your advice, I used the equalizer there and ended up lowering the low end (<100Hz), which helped a lot. It's no longer sounding as muffled. I'll have to fine tune it some more to get a more optimal setting.

If I took the equalizer settings (basically Hz and dB offset values) to the audiologist, would they be able to update the map based on it?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

I would think that info would be very helpful.  You may want to ask for those changes in a MAP you use with the AudioLink only if you like your regular MAP for everyday use.