What music are you jamming to today?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I am jamming to a road trip playlist and best of the Grammy Winners from the past decade.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I have the Hamilton soundtrack on repeat. If I try to change it the kids just put it back on anyway! It's all we've listened to for a couple of weeks now!!! My new favourite musical.

• HearPeers Heroes

The Hamilton musical is fabulous!  We saw it on Broadway and loved every second of it.  I jammed to that soundtrack for months!  I’m going to put it on again today.  Did you see it on TV?

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes we have Disney plus so we've watched it about 8 times now. Still not sick of it!! I'd take an opportunity to see it live when it comes to Perth.

• 2 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Robben Ford and Bill Evans - the Sun Room album. 
Robben Ford - Talk to your Daughter album

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My favorite CI song is "Inside Out" by Spoon. Great song in it's own right, but has particularly nice attributes for CI listening. Individual sounds are very clean and distinct. Fun panning effects to get a sense of sound direction. Has a special place in my heart because it was the first song I realized I could hear individual parts of the song early in my CI rehab.

This song even sounds good to me streaming just to my CI, but my best listening experience it on over-the-ear-headphones, with my Sonnet shoved into the ear cup (not hooked to my ear), and balanced out in audio settings towards my CI side to get even sound.

I have a few other songs I've found like "Inside Out". On the flip side are songs I like, that sound good to my acoustic ear, but that just overwhelm my CI and don't sound good to my CI side. I still listen to them.

Wish we could collectively build an easy to access playlist of songs that sound good with a CI, so it was just a click away. I'm an Apple Music subscriber, but maybe Spotify would be more universal. Hmm... 

On 1/12/2021 at 3:47 PM, Jdashiell said:

Robben Ford and Bill Evans - the Sun Room album. 
Robben Ford - Talk to your Daughter album

These are GOOD! I would never of though my CI would like so much saxophone and horns, but it works! Grooving to this now...

• HearPeers Heroes

@Justin

Med-El has a few Spotify lists.  Have you seen them?

I had seen them, but not paid much attention, it just seemed like a big list of songs.  I think what I'd appreciate is hearing from people on this forum what their favorite song is and why, and then having an easy way to link to listening to that song (ah-ha! Spotify allows you to "share" song links). Also, being able to listen to a playlist and going back to see why it was included on the playlist would be amazing. Many, of the songs on the MED-EL list activate the "constant whine" "mode" of my CI, IMO they don't have good CI attributes. But the music @Jdashiell recommended was good for CI! So it'd be interesting to try songs that other forum members like, to know what highlights the song as good for CI for them and see if it agrees with my CI. I'd love to find other "magic CI songs".

My Example:

"Inside Out" by Spoon (link: below) Alternative (rock'n'roll/electronic)

This is my favorite CI song! It's like magic how well it comes through. It's a particularly good song for CIs because individual sounds are very clean and distinct. Good drum beat and bass line that still leave room for all the other stuff going on. Fun panning effects to get a sense of sound direction if you have "hearing" in two ears (bilateral or SSD). There's a bit of an "ethereal" sounding intro which might be challenging to appreciate, if so skip to 25 seconds when the song really starts.

Oh I can't recommend this podcast episode highly enough!!!! 

Such an amazing story, well-produced, and lots to relate to. All about favorite songs and deafness

Q'ed Up - Soundtrack of Silence: https://www.kqed.org/news/11383461/soundtrack-of-silence

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for the links @Justin.  I will check them out this week.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Justin

The music feature that I love the most is when the instrumental track is different left and right headphone cups.

Having only heard with one ear for 24 years before implanting my right side, that feature amazes me every time.

It’s in old classics like Heard It Through the Grapevine and lots of newer songs.  Alabama Shakes uses it often.

By the way, we have Apple Music and LOVE it!