Apple Translate

Watersail

I was looking over my iPhone today and noticed that Apple had new app called Translate. I found out that you could set it to "translate" to the same language and could transcribe. It's not perfect, but it might help with masks while out and about.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/translate-iphd74cb450f/ios

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

thank you for sharing this.  I downloaded it and tested it out.  It does not work well on my phone.  Instead of continuing to listen and display the text, it stops even though the speaker never paused when talking.

On my iPhone the app that works best for me for speech to text is OTTER.  10 hours of use free monthly.  If you want more time, there is a fee.  Have you tried OTTER yet?

Still Android phones with LiveTranscribe are superior  for speech to text in my opinion.  I hope Apple catches up.

86053258-FE02-46F2-A65C-42D7D638F3FB.jpeg

I haven't tried Otter yet, but I will. You are right, there are a lot of shortcomings with Translate. But, it's better than nothing.

If LiveTranscribe uses the same back end as the AI captioning in Google Meetings, that works pretty well. I saw your youtube demo on LiveTranscribe, it's pretty cool.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

I recommend LiveTranscribe for everyone who has android phones.  We even have encouraged audiology offices to use LiveTranscribe on a tablet during appts for people who struggle to hear with their hearing aids or CIs.  I have demonstrated it several places so far and everyone loves it.

• 2 months later...

I was recently in a cavernous store (you know what I mean, the din, the echoes...) and with the masks, I was having a real hard time understanding the clerk so he whipped out his phone, started LiveTranscribe and everything went perfect from there. I’m so dumb, I’ve had it on my phone all along and never thought to actually use it😀 I’ve used it a few time since, duh.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hicksy

LiveTranscribe on android phones is free and amazing.

On iPhones Otter.ai works best for me. (10 hours per month free)