ASM1.0 and ASM2.0 Omni mic setting

omnidi

Hi, could you give me your opinion on ASM 1.0 and ASM 2.0 with Omni mic setting ? Do you hear the same thing ?

I'm still listening with the OPUS2, I only use one program for all sounds/noises.

I listened to with SONNET 1(MAP OPUS2) several months with OMNI mic and it's different, I don't know how to tell you but I find it quieter, less open.

Also, I don't know if this is normal, but the Sonnet attracts/catches all sounds/noises, whether near or far from me, to my ears like a magnet.

Instead of hearing a noise coming from far away, I will hear it directly to my ears.

If I close my eyes, I won't be able to tell if the object is near or far from me.

Thank

• HearPeers Heroes

@omnidi

I understand what you are describing.

I have OPUS2 (1 omni mic) and also stay in one program always.

I also have Sonnet 1 in ASM 2.  

Sonnet 1 in ASM 2 ....

*Med-El recommends that adults use the natural mic setting.  I find that setting too restrictive.  I enjoy listening to sounds from all around me and the natural mic setting did not let me do that.  So I do not use the natural mic setting.

*My OPUS2 omni MAP did not automatically convert well to Sonnet 1 in omni mic setting.  In the end, we had to create a completely different omni MAP for Sonnet 1.

*Sonnet 1 in ASM 2 adaptive mic setting brings sounds from far away, very close.... especially if there are no close sounds at the moment.  For example, I was working on our garden in front of our home.  I heard two neighbors conversing and thought they were on the sidewalk in front of our home.  When I turned to look, they were on the sidewalk across the street!  Another example, I was walking into a store.  I heard a man speaking and thought he was close to me.  When I looked, he was actually quite far away.  It definitely messes with my placement of sounds.  I look the correct way but the sounds are actually a lot further away from me than they seem.  I only use adaptive mic setting in loud noise.

The adjustment from OPUS2 to Sonnet 1 in ASM 2 took a lot of trial and error with my MAPs.

How long did you use OPUS2?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Percy

I am referring to Sonnet 1 in ASM 2 mic setting called adaptive (not auto adaptive)

https://blog.medel.pro/sonnet-microphone-directionality/

I tested out auto adaptive but found that when it was in omni mic setting, it didn’t sound the same as the Sonnet 1’s omni mic setting.  The changes from adaptive to omni were smooth but I preferred the sound quality of omni mic setting instead.

Are you using Sonnet 1?  Which mic setting do you prefer?

I've the SONNET 1 for a year, but I listen very little because I don't feel well.

OPUS 2 has made me happy since 2011, and for a long time to come.

• HearPeers Heroes

@omnidi

Have you considered the Rondo 2 processor?  It uses ASM 1 just like the OPUS2.

@Mary Beth

I think I am using adaptive, I know I am not using natural, auto, or Omni. I used to use Omni before I had my second ear implanted but now it seems as though the Omni has too much emphasis on the low frequencies so I use adaptive in both ears. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Percy

We had to ease off the low frequencies on my Sonnet MAPs.  Way too overbearing.  It’s one of the main reasons why the OPUS2 auto converted MAPs did not work well at all for me.  I was hearing the lawn mower halfway down the block.

On 11/13/2020 at 7:24 PM, Mary Beth said:

@omnidi

Have you considered the Rondo 2 processor?  It uses ASM 1 just like the OPUS2.

No, because I got Sonnet1 recently (1 year).
Thank you for answering me, I got the answers I wanted.