Rondo 3 lowest sensitivity setting

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

If we want our audiologists to set up a telecoil only program on our Rondo 3 (no microphone mixing) and set the sensitivity low to avoid EMI, what is the lowest sensitivity setting that can be set?

Thank you 

Did you mean setting up telecoil without an adapter? Good question .

I do not recall my radiologist setting up any telecoil programs. I just inserted telecoil adapter and that was it.

On a related note. Today I had both Rondos on since 7:30 AM and just to test it I used Rondo 3 witn Audiolink on TV docking for 2 hours and by 9 PM my Rondo 3 battery was completely drained. Very,very disappointing.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

That battery life is very very disappointing.

By default when the telecoil adapter is plugged into Rondo 3, we are on MT (50/50 mix).

Our audiologists can set the telecoil to T only by choosing that in a MAP they create.  By switching to that MAP and attaching the telecoil adapter to the Rondo 3 we will be in T only.

But then it will require removing telecoil adapter when not using Artone loop and that would be very inconvenient in a regular daily activities. I am now convinced that having two different processors is a bad idea.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

I am wondering if having our audiologists set a telecoil only MAP with reduced sensitivity and a no telecoil MAP with our regular sensitivity would allow us to keep the telecoil adapter attached and use the app as a remote to switch between programs.  That seems a lot more convenient than attaching and removing the telecoil adapter and adjusting sensitivity each time.

Is this possible @MED-EL Moderator

And Richard, I hear your frustration and I would be frustrated too.

Thank you very much Beth. Frustration is one thing but having  a product inferior to the one it supposed to replace is quite another. The fact that the audiokey can connect me with my cell phone is no different than having Artone loop. Instead of wearing the loop, now I would wear both - the Artone loop for music in one ear and the Audiokey for phone calls and having to switch bluetooth devices on my smartphone back and forth would not be very practical. I could no longer have a stereo effect, unless I use Artone and that would necessitate the telecoil adapter in the right ear. It also means that I have to carry two fine tuners - one for each ear. Not very practical. The Med-el good idea of having new models backward compatible as much as possible has not been effective here. 

I am sorry to sound so disappointed because Medel has been a great company to work with with great people on board.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

Med-El is a great company and I am thankful to them everyday for this amazing gift of hearing.

I appreciate it when people share their honest experiences with processors, connectivity devices and accessories in this forum.  The good and the bad.  
Thank you for sharing your Rondo 3 experiences.  I look forward to reading more of your posts.  I think you are the first person I have chatted with who has real life experience with all three Rondo versions.

Yes it can but only if both sides are of the same generation. Rondo 3 fine tuner will only work with Rondo 3 processor and since I had all three generations of Rondo on one side of the other, I ended up with three fine tuners so now I have to carry two of them since one side is Rondo 2 and one side is Rondo 3.

• HearPeers Heroes

Fine Tuner Echo works with Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I have Rondo3 on both sides. Started out with a T (telecoil) only program but soon found out I could mix T and M myself on either the Fine tuner or the Audikey 2 app. Since then I have only used that.  With low Rondo3 volume level and high on my cell phone I can still hear my own voice in a phone call, or get surrounding sounds while jogging but get more music. I can use this for all  programs (and now have a 4th unused program my audiologist can do something with).

I find Rondo3 telecoil sound quality much better than that of Rondo1 and Opus2, but slowly I'm getting used to the Audiolink, now I use that +50% of the time, particularly for music the sound is richer - and if I use cable between my cell phone and Audiolink it's less sensitive. Hopefully Medel will further improve the Audiolink, not least the signals to the Rondo3 outdoors (indoors I almost never loose contact).

Two pictures of my music/phone listening setting added, where I've lowered Rondo3 volume and then increase my cell phone output.

/Soundmixer Tomas

Screenshot_20210116-090439.jpg

20210116_090531.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tomas

So you find if you use the telecoil adapter plugged into the Rondo 3 port and let it default to a 50/50 mix (MT), you can adjust the volume on your phone higher and the volume on the Rondo 3 lower and reach a mix option that you like.  That is great.  

Are you experiencing buzzing sounds when the telecoil adapter is plugged into the Rondo 3 ?

How many hours do your Rondo 3 batteries last each day?

19 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Tomas

So you find if you use the telecoil adapter plugged into the Rondo 3 port and let it default to a 50/50 mix (MT), you can adjust the volume on your phone higher and the volume on the Rondo 3 lower and reach a mix option that you like.  That is great.  

Are you experiencing buzzing sounds when the telecoil adapter is plugged into the Rondo 3 ?

How many hours do your Rondo 3 batteries last each day?

@Mary Beth on a few occasions, if a telecoil adapter hasn't clicked in place there is a buzzing, but I believe what's been discussed is the interference from other electronic devices. If I've raised Rondo3 volume higher than normal there is a permanent but low sound, only audible  🙂 when the room is quiet. In those situations it's a nuisance I can't turn it off. But apart from that - and normally - there are only rare situations e.g close to the kitchen stove, lamp posts on the street and so. Overall I find the disturbance/ interference less than with Rondo1/Opus in T-mode. I suppose in trains, buses and airplanes there will be disturbances, these covid days I haven't been on any of them. 

Maybe my batteries have improved slightly, between 15 and 15 1/2 hrs on my right, ~17 on the left. Normally 17 is sufficient for me, 15 is not.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you @Tomas

Like you, 15 hours is not sufficient for my listening day.

On 1/3/2021 at 4:23 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Richard G

I am wondering if having our audiologists set a telecoil only MAP with reduced sensitivity and a no telecoil MAP with our regular sensitivity would allow us to keep the telecoil adapter attached and use the app as a remote to switch between programs.  That seems a lot more convenient than attaching and removing the telecoil adapter and adjusting sensitivity each time.

Is this possible @MED-EL Moderator

And Richard, I hear your frustration and I would be frustrated too.

Hi @Mary Beth sorry for our late reply! Here is what our product experts say: 

With the RONDO 3 and MAESTRO 9 it is possible to have a map with a “DAI only” setting. By having the Telecoil Adapter connected and the “DAI only” setting activated, only the signal received by the telecoil is being processed.

By having the “DAI only” setting activated on one map only, the Telecoil Adapter may remain connected.

Hope that helps!

Verena

• Like 3

Was Maestro 9 a BTE system or was it also available for the original Rondo?

I was implanted in Poland in 2015 and my programming sheet shows Synchrony implant. I am not sure how Maestro fits in. Sorry if this is confusing.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

Maestro 9 is the fitting software audiologists use to set up our programs.  Maestro 9 is the most up to date version.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 1:04 AM, Richard G said:

Yes it can but only if both sides are of the same generation. Rondo 3 fine tuner will only work with Rondo 3 processor and since I had all three generations of Rondo on one side of the other, I ended up with three fine tuners so now I have to carry two of them since one side is Rondo 2 and one side is Rondo 3.

Can you use rondo 3 fine tuner app on the phone, that would be more practical isnt it?

Sure,  but you would still end up with one tuner and one cell phone and if you keep your cell phone in one place in the house you would need two tuners wherever you go.

there are other aspects that make it impractical to have two different generation processors.

• Like 3