Telecoil - thoughts on built in telecoil vs telecoil adapter

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Now that Rondo 3 uses a telecoil adapter versus an internal telecoil, I am interested in your thoughts about daily life with an internal telecoil versus a telecoil adapter.  Which do you prefer?  Do you use telecoil often?  How are you using telecoil?  Do you have a preference for internal telecoil versus telecoil adapter for future Med-El processors?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

Will you share your thoughts here?  You have one processor  with an internal telecoil and one processor with a telecoil adapter.  You can easily compare daily life between your two sides.

Unquestionably, telecoil adapter of Rondo 3 is far superior to internal telecoil of Rondos 1&2.

First, the sound is much more clear and seems to cover a wider frequency range. Secondly, you do not need to wear a telecoil loop.while using the phone. Placing a phone receiver next to the processor with telecoil adapter is like having normal hearing. Clear sound.

One big disadvantage is that attachment. It is flimsy and you have a feeling that any moment it will fall off.

If you have an opportunity to have Rondo 3 on both sides, it is really the best system but my experience shows that mixing processors is not a good idea for many reasons.

9 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Richard G

How has Rondo 3 battery life been for you so far?

Not as good as Rondo 2. Twice it sounded "low battery" after 12 hours of continuous use with a couple of hours using telecoil to watch and listen to YouTube programs. You are very knowledgeable and proficient with Artone and the biggest advantage of Rondo 3 is its connectivity with a smartphone which although does not need a loop around your neck still requires wearing a microphone (Audiolink),  to me a choice would be simple, unless you can have Rondo 3 on both sides.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

I am concerned about the battery life of Rondo 3.  My listening days are 16 hours and I do use the Artone for streaming while I do other things.  Even with Rondo 3 on both sides, it seems like the battery power would be an issue for me.

Were you able to decrease the EMI buzzing in your Rondo 3, compared to Rondo 2, by lowering the sensitivity through the remote?  How did that work for you?

No, I wasn't. It did not have any impact on buzzing. Incidentally, Rondo 3 telecoil adapter is very good because it is very sensitive and transmits the sound very clearly. By the same token, it creates a buzzing sound when in proximity of electrical wires even when driving (all electrical systems in the car). Rondo 3 fine tuner provides adjustment capability for sensitivity but its lowest setting  does not eliminate or decrease  buzzing. Rondo 2 does not have that sensitivity and does not produce buzzing sound.

It is, and the buzzing sound is difficult to get used to. All in all, the main advantage of Rondo 3 - its connectivity -  does not provide as much advantage as it sounds. Granted, the sound is clear but you still need to wear the audiolink as your microphone. which is bigger than Artone neck loop.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

Perhaps your audiologist can create a designated program fir you to use with the telecoil adapter that has a much lower sensitivity setting than you can presently reach via the remote settings.  Fingers crossed that you can find a way to eliminate that buzzing sound.

Actually, I have already decided to exchange Rondo 3 for Rondo 2 to have both sides the same. Juggling fine tuners, microphones, audiolink etc is not practical. I would like to have just one tuner operating both processors, one microphone and one TV transmitter and have the same quality/volume sound on both sides.

I was offered a discounted price if I wanted to buy Rondo 3 and keep my Rondo 2 as a spare. I was a bit disappointed that Medel refused to replace my Rondo 2 for Rondo 3 considering that Rondo 2 was programmed only two months before they announced availability of Rondo 3, but I understand their decision.

Therefore, going back in terms of technology from 3 back to 2 seemed like a logical solution to keep everything the same.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

I am happy to hear you have been given the option to exchange your Rondo 3 for a Rondo 2.  Having the same processors on both sides will sure make your life easier.  Enjoy bilateral listening with Rondo 2!

Thank you Mary Beth. Your posts and YouTube video on Artone made my decisions a lot easier. Sharing your experiences with others helped a lot of implant users understanding these marvels of medical technology and for that we all are very grateful to you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you.

I have learned a lot about Rondo 3 from you @Richard G and I appreciate your willingness to answer my many questions!  Smile.

@Mary Beth as a bilateral Rondo2 user, I love the internal telecoil and the ease of using it to stream to my Artone neck loop. The option of switching to MT or T with just the push of a button on my Fine Tuner, and the ability to have each side set differently if I desire, is, to me, perfect. I use the telecoil several hours a day, listening to audiobooks, music and/or tv, and making phone calls. I also like knowing I can easily avail myself of a loop system in a meeting room, theater, auditorium, etc. just by a single press on my Fine Tuner, a device that is easily carried with me at all times. Although I’m not familiar with the Rondo3 telecoil adapter, just knowing I would need something external attached to my processor makes me a bit uneasy.

In reference to battery life of my Rondo2, I also have at least a 16 hour hearing day and several of those hours often include telecoil use. In my 15 months of wearing Rondo2s, I have never experienced a low battery warning. The longest I have worn them continuously was 22 hours, and then I charged them only because I had the chance to, not because they gave me a low battery warning.

In the absence of Bluetooth connectivity, it surprises me that Rondo3 does not include an internal telecoil. I feel excluding it is a mistake and I certainly would encourage Med-El to reconsider this action, with future Rondo versions having an internal telecoil until Bluetooth connectivity becomes standard.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joan  Great points and I am happy to hear of the very long battery life you get with Rondo 2.  I am a fan of internal telecoils also.

@Richard G

I was implanted in 2015 so my upgrade eligibility was in 2020.  I have not begun the process yet.  I would like the adaptive intelligence features of ASM 3 to be available in the US when I upgrade like it is in many other countries.  We will see if that plan works out.