AudioStream Q & A

Mary Beth

What do people think of the AudioStream as a connectivity option for Med-el processors? Specifically: 

1)  How much comes in through your processor mics vs through the Audiostream for: phone, tv, music, remote mic? 

2) It seems like you pair your AS to your AudioKey app (1 or 2) on your phone, and then what?

3) How does the AudioKey 1 and/or 2 app work for you? What do you use it for?

4) What are the remote mic options for AudioStream, besides your cell phone thorugh the AudioKey app?

4a) Cell phone as remote mic -- does that mean you have to push your cell phone away from you to the middle of the table, or have your cell by the lecturer in the front of the room, or have it "clipped" somehow to the speaker? 

4b) Can AudioStream pair directly with a BT remote mic like Artone's? 

4c) What's the range on the Audiostream

5) Seems like AUdiostream pairs primarily, maybe even only, with a cell phone; could it pair with a BT enabled computer?

6) When using AS for phone calls, what mic picks up your voice when you speak -- that is, do you have to hold the cell phone near your mouth, or are there little mics built in to the AS cover?

@Mary Beth

Answers inline

1)  How much comes in through your processor mics vs through the Audiostream for: phone, tv, music, remote mic? 

Nicely mixed, but I would like the option to cut the mics. I think my audiologist was able to Drop the mic input in this case. Streamed audio comes through clear with a moderate sense of environment noise. 

2) It seems like you pair your AS to your AudioKey app (1 or 2) on your phone, and then what?

AudioKey 2 (1 is gone) is used to pair AudioStream. After that, it’s not needed. Other functions are handled by iPhone Hearing Devices settings under Accessibility or by changing the selected audio device in Control Center. I’m clueless about Android!

3) How does the AudioKey 1 and/or 2 app work for you? What do you use it for?

For AudioStream, its only function is pairing, unpairing, and future firmware updates (none yet).

4) What are the remote mic options for AudioStream, besides your cell phone thorugh the AudioKey app?

That’s it.

4a) Cell phone as remote mic -- does that mean you have to push your cell phone away from you to the middle of the table, or have your cell by the lecturer in the front of the room, or have it "clipped" somehow to the speaker? 

iPhones have amazing microphone arrays with beamformed directionality and great background sound removal  so you could hold the phone and point it (mics at bottom of iPhone) towards the speaker and it help a lot. Or you could put it close to the speaker, but then you can’t be posting on HearPeers while “listening” to them talk :-)

4b) Can AudioStream pair directly with a BT remote mic like Artone's? 

I’m pretty sure no. Perhaps the phone can pair to an accessory mic, but I suspect not. I can inquire.

4c) What's the range on the Audiostream

25-30 feet with two walls in between! Lots of other wireless devices around. Impressive!

5) Seems like AUdiostream pairs primarily, maybe even only, with a cell phone; could it pair with a BT enabled computer?

Phone only, at least for Apple ecosystem. There are apps that can relay computer audio to iPhone: https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

6) When using AS for phone calls, what mic picks up your voice when you speak -- that is, do you have to hold the cell phone near your mouth, or are there little mics built in to the AS cover?

Uses phone mics. Keep the phone near by. AS doesn’t have mics. Doesn’t use Sonnet mics,  doubtful this could be a future capability, but maaayyyybeee? I should test if it can use mic input from wired headset while streaming to AS for output. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Justin

I would love to know what program changes your audiologist made that reduces the environmental mic input.  If you find out, please share.  Thanks.

12 hours ago, Justin said:

Uses phone mics. Keep the phone near by. AS doesn’t have mics. Doesn’t use Sonnet mics,  doubtful this could be a future capability, but maaayyyybeee?

This is not an issue of AudioStream but of MFi and ASHA. These are one-way BlueTooth-protocols. The reason is that this approach keeps battery drain in our hearing-aids or soundprocessors very low. We don't have (as) much energy on board as a smartphone has.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 2/16/2021 at 10:38 PM, Justin said:

Phone only, at least for Apple ecosystem. There are apps that can relay computer audio to iPhone: https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

Looks like the AudioStream is no good or use for Windows 10 Laptops then? Can @MED-EL Moderator confirm this?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried streaming simultaneously to AudioStream and another bluetooth device with an Android phone? I understand that Android phones have the capacity to stream to two devices simultaneously which might help with bluetooth streaming to both CI and a HA.

• HearPeers Heroes

@krkraler

Interesting.  I have an iPhone so cannot test this out for you unfortunately.  If you figure out this is possible, please let us know.