Current Wearer

Deanna

I am currently wearing a right CI and am scheduled to talk with the doctor regarding a left CI. I am nervous about having both and how I will sleep.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Deanna

Welcome to HearPeers!  I am excited for your second CI.  Bilateral CIs are awesome.  I love mine.  @Megan L. just went bilateral after several years of one CI and one HA.

Which processor are you getting?

What concerns you about sleeping?

I guess I will get the Sonnet. I like the Rondo so much because it is off my ear but I have been told the Sonnet sound is better. I have difficulty with the sound from my right CI. It seems so live and I can't hear music or find sounds directionally. My concerns with sleeping are that I always sleep on my left side and when I get the left CI I will not be able to sleep on that side for a long time. I have tried sleeping on my right side but after 2 hours my head is uncomfortable where the internal part of the CI is. Sorry about whining. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Deanna

No need to apologize here ever for sharing your concerns/frustrations.  We are here to understand and support one another.

The Sonnet 2 and the new Rondo 3 have the same features so they should sound very similar.  @Justin has the Sonnet 2 and just received the Rondo 3 so maybe after his Rondo 3 is programmed he will share his comparison.

Aural rehab helped me train my brain.  Have you found aural rehab helpful with your first CI?

When my head was sore after CI surgery, I slept with one bent arm under my pillow and rested my sore area in the V opening.  Worked great.  Others have reported success with placing a neck support for flying flat on a pillow and resting the sore area in the opening.  Maybe one of these ideas will help you.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Deanna

Welcome to the group! No need to apologize and I didn’t think you were whining! 

As @Mary Beth mentioned I just went bilateral the end of December and activated in January 2021. I too sleep on my left side, it’s my favorite side. My left ear was done first so I had to sleep either on my right side or on my back for months. Both give me a headache and eventually I used 2 pillows and wedged my left ear in between and found comfort. My right ear is a completely different story! I can sleep on my left 😁 and sometimes I can sleep on my right for a little bit. I was surprised at how soon I could sleep on the right ear but now I found this side feels like a claw on the side of my head if I don’t get it in the right spot to lay on! 

I also have the Sonnet 2 on both ears. The Sonnet 2 sounds great - I think it has a slightly clearer sound than the Sonnet 1. I didn’t even look at the Rondos because I need a long battery life for work and phone use but I do like they are off the ear. Previously I had a Sonnet 1 and a HA.

There is a great section here for aural rehab and music. The aural rehab helped me tremendously for both CIs. For my second side, I did a lot of Ted Talks to avoid boredom. I also picked a song I was very familiar with to use as my gauge for improvement and clarity when training both sides. 

Sending you all the best! 😊

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

Your comparison of Sonnet 2 using ASM 2 and Sonnet 1 using ASM 2 is interesting.  I heard the same thing from another Sonnet 2 user.  It makes me wonder if it is related to the upgraded computer chip in the Sonnet 2/Rondo 3 processors.  And I wonder if Med-El improved the actual microphones on the Sonnet 2?

Remind me again.  Which mic setting are you using in ASM 2:

omni, natural or adaptive?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Med El could have improved everything all around in the Sonnet 2 which makes it sound more clear and crisp than the Sonnet 1. This is terrible but I actually forgot which one I’m using 🧐 I want to say adaptive but it could be Omni. It’s definitely not natural. My audiologist never had me test that and I think it’s either because he didn’t like it or he didn’t think it would be good for me.

5 hours ago, Deanna said:

I guess I will get the Sonnet. I like the Rondo so much because it is off my ear but I have been told the Sonnet sound is better. I have difficulty with the sound from my right CI. It seems so live and I can't hear music or find sounds directionally. My concerns with sleeping are that I always sleep on my left side and when I get the left CI I will not be able to sleep on that side for a long time. I have tried sleeping on my right side but after 2 hours my head is uncomfortable where the internal part of the CI is. Sorry about whining. 

@Mary Beth As soon as I get the Rondo 3 programmed I'll post my impressions. I'm happy to see it's gotten so much smaller than the original chunky Rondo! Soon it'll be the size of the Sonnet DL coil! I do need a stronger magnet though.

@Deanna how long have you been implanted and activated? Don't forget that they had to basically break the bone in your skull to implant you. That takes a long time to heal, even after the scars are closed up. Bone and fat will grow in to smooth the sharp edges. Also, many of the nerves on that side of your head were disrupted/aggitated. You'll be both more sensitive and less sensitive for a while. But it should go back to normal. Think 3-4 months until you don't "normally" notice it, and 6-10 months until you don't notice it at all. I particularly remember one of my first haircuts after implantation was a HELLISH experience (the barber was aggressive!), but I think now it wouldn't be an issue at all.

The hearing adjustment takes time! Use whatever connection option works best, isolate your CI ear and listen, listen, listen. Music and spoken content are both good. Don't expect it to be good at all in the beginning. Be patient and trust that it will get better everyday, even if you don't notice at first. 3 years out, I like where I'm at and 'm still improving every day!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
12 hours ago, Justin said:

I particularly remember one of my first haircuts after implantation was a HELLISH experience (the barber was aggressive!)

Oh my goodness! I'm cringing at those memories. 🥴

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 8:35 AM, Deanna said:

I am currently wearing a right CI and am scheduled to talk with the doctor regarding a left CI. I am nervous about having both and how I will sleep.

Hi @Deanna.

Welcome to HearPeers! 

I understand your concerns, and I think we've all had similar sleeping issues. Mary Beth and Megan have given you some really good advice for sleeping tips; and Justin, for general rehab. 

The only thing I can add is, think of the end result. It may take some pain to get there, but in the end, you will have your victory!☺

"No pain, no gain" isn't just a tacky phrase. 😉

Would you mind sharing your experience with your first CI? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tmscarlett10 said:

Hi @Deanna.

Welcome to HearPeers! 

I understand your concerns, and I think we've all had similar sleeping issues. Mary Beth and Megan have given you some really good advice for sleeping tips; and Justin, for general rehab. 

The only thing I can add is, think of the end result. It may take some pain to get there, but in the end, you will have your victory!☺

"No pain, no gain" isn't just a tacky phrase. 😉

Would you mind sharing your experience with your first CI? 

I could hear some with my left ear when I had my right CI surgery. I had pain for about a week but really did well overall. I was able to comprehend words as soon as I was turned on. I complained the sound was "digital" but no one was very impressed.  I did not realize how much my left ear contributed to my understanding. (It was so weak that a hearing aid was not helpful.) I have done reasonably well for 4 years, but this last year my left ear began to lose sounds and I am almost deaf. With the hearing in that ear going so went my comprehension in my right ear. I am considering a CI for my left ear  but am anxious about what the sound quality will be and if my comprehension will get better or be worse.

Probably more than you wanted to know.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Deanna

always nice to read about each other’s journeys.

I will tag you in a topic about a Med-El US adult aural rehab presentation.  The registration link is not correct at the moment but should be fixed in a day or two.  

@Deanna, Not at all!

I completely understand where you are coming from.

I was also using HAs (hearing aids) with one dead ear, and a good amount of hearing loss in the right ear. The HAs were helping a bit, but not much; and I finally became eligible for a CI, which was my dream!

I knew there could be complications, including losing all residual hearing, but I was willing to risk that if I would gain better hearing in the end.

I did lose a lot of my residual hearing, but at activation, it all became worth it! I was hearing and understanding voices - though they sounded (and still do after a week) sort of robotic. But I could understand people who were wearing masks, and without looking in their direction or reading lips!

I was - and am - hearing better with the CI than I was before the surgery!

I know that big decisions like these can seem scary, but you are not alone. ❤️

• Like 1