Bilateral AudioLink success

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

Are you still using your AudioLink now that you have AudioStream?

If yes, how are you using AudioLink?

Does it sound good to you bilaterally? It sounds good to me with just my left or just my right but bilaterally it sounds smeary- like the left and right audio is not in sync.

@Mary Beth I use my AudioLink every night (for TV) and almost every day (for computer).  I don't use the AudioLink for anything else (just TV & computer).  So far, the AudioLink is what I like best about being bilateral.  Sometimes when I am watching TV with the AudioLink, I detach one coil from my head and listen for a moment or two, then put it back and do the same on the other side.  Each side sounds so different, but then I go back to having both and it's wonderful☺️.  My only (minor) annoyance now with the AudioLink is that it is very loud.  I have the volume on the AudioLink itself turned down as far as it can go but when I turn it on it is very loud.  I put a post-it-note on it reminding me to turn the volume down on my processors before I turn on the AudioLink.  Now if I could only remember to turn the volume back up on my processors when I turn the AudioLink off LOL.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

I am so happy you are enjoying the AudioLink.

When it is cabled to my TV it is crazy loud too.  Others have made the same comment.

Have you considered having your audiologist set a much quieter MAP in one of your program slots to use just with the AudioLink?  Then you could use your remote to move to that program.  It maybe quicker to move back and forth via a program slot than having to manipulate both volume controls repeatedly to reach a quieter more comfortable listening level with AudioLink.  Just a thought.

I have a special program for use with AudioStream because many times when I listen to audiobooks I am multitasking and prefer not to hear the vacuum, lawnmower, sewing machine, etc so much.

@Mary Beth Yes, I have  thought about asking for another program on each of the two processors.  Hubby is asleep long before me so when I am ready to go to sleep I turn off the AudioLink, but as it is dark in the room I don't bother fumbling for the Echo, turning it on and re-adjusting the volume for both processors (sometime the next day when I am struggling to hear, I will remember to turn them back up).  So I think I would have the same problem.

...and it just came to me.  I think I will try to remember to leave the Echo next to the AudioLink during night time TV.

@Lynda I am really interested in your experiences with the AudioLink. I need a headphone solution for my laptop for video calls. I currently use the Artone neckloop, but since I moved house I have terrible T setting inteference. Also, I don't like the sound from the Artone that much - it is very tinny and robotic sounding. I contacted MED-EL and they suggested the AudioLink. It is crazy expensive though! Have you tried it for video calls?

@MallaRuth I bought mine when they had the HearPeers discount of $150 off the regular price of $650 (and I still thought it was crazy expensive).  Years ago I was given a Quattro neckloop but I did not like it at all (so I'm reluctant to try the Artone, but I know Mary Beth really likes it).

For me personally, the only way that I can participate in virtual meetings is with the AudioLink.  My CI Support Group has video meetings and there are usually about 15 people (in-person meetings used to be at least double that).  

I cannot hear anything from my laptop speaker, so I have always had a cheap set of external speakers plugged into my laptop.  I put the AudioLink into its docking station and connect the docking station to the external speaker via the audio cable that is included with the AudioLink (the cable is about 20 inches long). 

I really like it, with the docking station, on my laptop and on my TV.  I don't use the AudioLink without the docking station.  When I first got the AudioLink  I quickly tried it out for telephone calls and as a remote microphone, but did not like it for either of these uses.

I liked the first AudioLink I got but it kept freezing on me, and once frozen I could not turn it on or off without taking it apart and re-assembling it.  Easy enough to do, but annoying because by the time I got it back together I had missed a lot.  Med-El promptly sent me another one and this one works fine (kudos to Med-El).

I have not used headphones of any kind (a lot of people here seem to like Bose) but I like hearing the sound/voices directly in my processor rather than the idea of having to wear headphones on top of my processors.

Maybe you could ask if they would let you try it out first?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

When you use AudioLink with your bilateral Sonnet/Sonnet2 processors for video calls with the AudioLink in its dock plugged into your computer speaker, do you position the AudioLink directly in front of you to pick up your voice during the call?

@Mary BethI've never even thought of this.  For video calls I'm facing the screen on my laptop, and my AudioLink is off to my side maybe about a foot away.  I guess my voice must be picked up by the internal laptop speaker?  During our meetings everyone keeps their mic muted unless they are the person speaking.  No one has ever said they couldn't hear me. 

For watching TV, I just figured out that if I press the musical note on the Fine Tuner Echo it will temporarily mute the TV sound coming in on the AudioLink (useful if someone talks to me during a show) - and the rest of you probably already knew this 😁.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

It is always helpful to share discoveries here!  Glad you found a way to mute the AudioLink with the FineTuner Echo.  I have AudioLink with Sonnet 1 and the regular FineTuner so that is not an option for me.  But if my upgrade gets approved, I will be happy to know I can mute the AudioLink without walking across the room to it.  Thanks for sharing!