AudioLink- greatly expanding the BT connection

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr and I have been comparing AudioLink experiences and discussing using a BT adapter plugged into the AudioLink (AudioLink is then NOT connected to phone/computer by BT) to greatly expand the range for streaming.  Dennis has also discovered a non traditional way to attach the AudioLink to our shirts which provides better results  with processors.  

I am posting in the hope that others who are also using a BT adapter plugged into AudioLink will share their experiences as well.  And anyone who may be experiencing connectivity or range issues with AudioLink can see another option that may help.

• HearPeers Heroes

A way to increase BT connection and greatly extend the distance we can be from our device (phone) and the ability to turn without negativity impacting the audio... is to use the 2 AudioLink cables to directly plug in a BT receiver with a 3.5 jack. Then disconnect the AudioLink from the phone and connect the BT receiver.

It is possible to use one audio cable that is much lighter and thinner that is a 2.5 male to 3.5 male.  This is a much more comfortable solution but requires purchasing a 3.5mm male to 2.5mm male stereo cable.  (If you happen to have BOSE QC35 headphones, it is in the kit.)

CC363C80-3728-47F4-A5E3-41AC1BF431BB.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

In the above pictures the small round black device is a BT adapter.

@Dennisjbr does yours look the same or do you have a newer model?  Will you post a link to purchasing it please?

• HearPeers Heroes

It is important to disconnect or forget the AudioLink under BT settings on your phone/computer.

Sound travels like this….

BT adapter is paired with phone/computer so audio travels via BT from device to BT adapter

BT adapter has a 3.5mm jack and is attached by cable to the 2.5mm AudioLink jack (3.5mm male to 2.5mm male cable)

AudioLink is clipped to back of shirt @Dennisjbr is reporting much better results having AudioLink clipped to the back of his shirt than the front.  AudioLink is paired to processors so audio travels from AudioLink to processors.

The attached BT adapter can be clipped to the front of our shirts.  It has a built in mic to pick up our voices during phone calls and buttons to control the audio.

• HearPeers Heroes

This is the BT adapter I have.  It is the only one I have tested with AudioLink.

Very inexpensive solution to greatly increase the range of AudioLink.  However, we must be willing to have a cable attached.

APEKX Clip Bluetooth Audio Adapter for Headphones, Headset, Speaker, Wireless Receiver with MIC for Hands-Free Call and Music

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUXYVOA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_X3JANW2FD7HGYK3BXG0J

528B5296-145A-4648-A10C-011DB450FBED.png

• HearPeers Heroes

It looks VERY similar to the BT used with Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop

Hi all!

Adding some pictures here as well of my setup and the latest ApekX device!  Assuming you have a Sonnet(2), here are some options to use with the ApekX Streamer/Mic. Hope this helps!  Happy to answer any questions.

1. Stream wirelessly via AudioLink.  Use the Mic on the ApekX, and hear audio via AudioLink.

ApekX-AudioStream.jpeg.b1430d63c1ecc2e252c47c0c9bbb9fc7.jpeg

2. Stream wirelessly via Phonak Roger Select. Use the Mic on the ApekX, and hear audio via the Roger Select with Roger receivers battery covers.

ApekX-RogerSelect.jpeg.ea90bf93b345ca07b1057fcdefdace2c.jpeg

3. Stream WIRED via DAI (Direct Audio Input) cable(s) (depends if you are bi- or uni-laterally implanted or preferred), Use the Mic on the ApekX and hear audio via the DAI cables.

\ApekX-UnilateralDAI.jpeg.f57a99383fc5d1aee73c6a4fc59a8406.jpeg  ApekX-BilateralDAI.jpeg.e88f796d7f813881c6dec7a26c39733e.jpeg

Edited by Dennisjbr
Replaced AudioStream with AudioLink

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dennisjbr

Thank you so much for taking the time to post those options with pictures!

So…. Tell us how things sound with these 3 options?  Does  any one of them provide better sound?

4 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

So…. Tell us how things sound with these 3 options?  Does  any one of them provide better sound?

Well, funny you ask that. I feel like the Roger Select was a more quality sound.  But when using the AudioLink clipped to my collar behind me (so they are in line-of-site with processors), the sound is basically the same.  The advantage of the AudioLink is you can turn off the mix to exclude sounds around you to only hear what's coming through the AudioLink.

I can't review the DAI yet, because there is something wrong with my cables. they emit a loud buzzing noise.  HOWEVER, when i use a single processor cable to the APEKX BT device, i do hear the audio clearly through that processor.  

One advantage to the DAI cable would be that you may get longer battery life. Whenever you use the 2.4GHz radios in the processors, you will drain the batteries faster because they themselves draw power in addition to the processors.  

So, if anyone complains they have shorter battery life, try not using any of these devices and I can guarantee your battery life will be longer. :)  

Hope this helps!

-Dennis

I am new to all of this, with my sonnet 2 turned on in NOvember. Can you tell me why this useful to me? Doesn't my audiolonk bluetooth from my phone to my CI? Why would I need this extra stuff? I don't love the sound quality from the audiolink. I prefer a nice speaker from my computer instead of streaming. (I teach on zoom right now.) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations @Addi!

This BT adapter cabled to AudioLink is an idea only if experiencing poor range, connectivity and possibly sound issues with using AudioLink its regular way.

AudioLink can be cabled to our computers.  For some it is necessary to position the AudioLink much closer to our processors than that set up allows.  This is an option.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you still using apps like BT Mono with this set up? I disliked that without corded the sound quality is less than with corded to device. I actually prefer a cord to device from AL except new phones don't have the option. I really disliked having to turn the app on in addition to the audiolink AND the actual audio file Im listening to. Corded just seemed so much easier. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree with you.  Those A2DP converter apps degrade sound quality.  I don’t use them.

The audio quality is much better than using those A2DP converter apps.

Since the BT adapter is plugged into the AudioLink, the AudioLink is only handling sending the audio to the processors.

@Hilary Beaumont Brown

@Dennisjbr- your thoughts?

On 6/18/2021 at 3:52 AM, Mary Beth said:

You mentioned ordering a different BT adapter.  Have you tested it out?  Pros/cons?  

Let's just say I need to make a spreadsheet of many things / features for pros/cons.  

I REALLY like this radsone device at $89 because it has a pre-amp before sending to your audiolink, allowing you to turn up the volume and adjust the equalizer.  This way you can hear sounds from any device no matter if iphone, ipad, android, tv, etc.   More coming soon but just overwhelmed with so much life and work happenings at the moment!

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth check out this conversation

@Dennisjbr when you have time will you share your pros and cons of various connectivity options with your laptop/computer?

@John R has also used various connectivity options with his computer.  Will you also post your pros and cons?  What is your favorite set up?  (For people who do not have a sophisticated audio system attached to their computers.  Smile)

9 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

What is your favorite set up?  (For people who do not have a sophisticated audio system attached to their computers.  Smile)

@Mary Beth @MallaRuth you really do have lots of options as with or with out "sophisticated" equipment the process is the same. see image...

The best results will be as hardwired as possible leaving the Bluetooth for the last step. many streaming devices as shown have "Audio Inputs" especially from the charging dock. Simply cable out of your computers headphone jack or if it has one "audio output" with a standard 3.5mm jack to jack, into the dock. the MED-EL Audio Link also has an input (you need a special cable adapter size is smaller ). 

Some systems IF you have the USB power connected to the dock at the same time as your computer is power adapter is connected you will get a "Hum or Buzz" so I prefer to run my streamers from battery power and not USB power as my computer is permanently powered. 

I hear a quality difference from all these devices shown, my favourite so far is the Rogers Select. 

As you can see with this pic I am actually using the Rogers Pen as I type, ( i took that pic just for you. ) 

Happy to Video call and help you out with any tips if you would like. 

JR

Inputs.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth and @John R

Thanks for the info and pic John.  

Interesting point about the buzz.  I didn’t realize you ran your connectivity devices on their battery power while streaming from your computer.

I like the audio quality of the Select better too. But I believe Ruth is not a fan of the longer battery cover of the Roger 21.

John- you use audio out to the Select and audio in (your voice) from your mic on the adjustable stand during video calls?

12 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

you use audio out to the Select and audio in (your voice) from your mic on the adjustable stand during video calls?

@Mary Beth Correct. The big benefit that EVERYONE should know and greatly assists quality on video calls. if you stream your Audio to your devices, there is no need to Mute your microphone. This eliminates the use of speaker and external sound so therefore No Feedback. 😊

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

Wouldn’t we still want people to mute their mics so extraneous sounds in their environment are not picked up by their mics and heard by all?

5 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Wouldn’t we still want people to mute their mics

where ever possible yes, But it does take away a little of the "Im not technical enough to do this" from our more elderly and non tech peeps, IF they can learn to stream. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 1:53 PM, Mary Beth said:

I agree with you.  Those A2DP converter apps degrade sound quality.  I don’t use them.

The audio quality is much better than using those A2DP converter apps.

Since the BT adapter is plugged into the AudioLink, the AudioLink is only handling sending the audio to the processors.

@Hilary Beaumont Brown

@Dennisjbr- your thoughts?

I agree with you MB.   Sound through the cable is the best option for everyone with less hacking around with A2DP converters. I just tried a couple A2DP Dow samples. Auto quality is HORRIBLE.   It’s great on the Peloton now. I have the audio link cabled to my EarStudio device and it sits on a shelf behind me. No static because they are in line of sight with my processors.  Love the freedom ot move around without things clipped to my headband or clothing!!