Long term SSD

Eric in Tulsa

I have had a single sided hearing loss since 1995. The loss was sudden and occurred while I was awake. The doctors were never able to determine what caused it, only that I lost 40% of my hearing in that ear and 100% of the comprehension in that ear. When I hear words spoken in that ear, they sound just like any other noise. Hearing aids do nothing but amplify the noise. I’ve tried CROS hearing aids, but they only confused me. People would speak to me on my bad ear side and I would turn my back on them thinking they were on the other side. My comprehension got better, but it wasn’t worth the cost. 
I recently went on Medicare and suddenly, I had a solution to my problem that would be paid for by insurance. Medicare covers 80% of a Cochlear Implant and my Medicare Supplemental Policy covers the other 20%.  
ive had the evaluation at the audiologist and she said that I qualify. I then had the CT Scan and it was verified as nominal. Next up is an appointment with the surgeon on August 16. I’m armed with about 20 questions to ask at that appointment. Among other things, we will be selecting the manufacturer of the implant. 
pat this point I’m leaning toward Cochlear because of its iPhone compatibility. But I keep thinking of the longer electrode on the MedEl.  Does it give me lower frequencies with the longer electrode? Would I miss those frequencies if I didn’t get the MedEl? 
I signed up on this forum to try and Lear what I don’t even know to ask. 
I’m in Tulsa OK. 
My surgeon will be Dr Voth with St Francis Warren Clinic ENT. 

IM A 69 year old male who has SSD in one ear and a slight loss in the other ear. 
I also have tinnitus 24/7 in the bad ear. I’m hoping the CI will help with that. 
Any information that you care to impart on me will be gladly received. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@TexOkie

congratulations for being eligible for a CI.  My CIs have been life changing.

I chose Med-El for their electrode array options.

The deeper the array goes into our cochleas, the more access we have to the area of the cochlea that is designed for bass tones. 

Med-El Sonnet/Sonnet2 now has direct streaming from all mobile phones.  It is called AudioStream and is a special battery cover that has a BTLE receiver built in.

Here is a link to my CI journey if you are interested.

I wish you the best on your CI journey.

I’m glad I watched your video. What you said about the online simulators was eye opening. I was not looking forward to a long period of sound that sounded like that. My surgeon is offering Symphony 2 and Cochlear America Nucleus 7. I like the long electrode array on the MedEl, but I don’t like that in order to communicate with my iPhone/iPad I have to use snap-on battery covers. With The Nucleus 7 it’s built in. But, in the long run it’s about hearing the best that I can. So if th3 longer electrode actually gets me more frequencies, I will probably go with it and deal with the snap-on cover. 
thank you for your input, it is invaluable. I would like to hear what you think about the longer electrode array. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eric in Tulsa

The AudioStream is not a snap on cover.  It is in place of the regular battery cover and can be left on even when AudioStream is not in use.  I was wondering if it would be comfortable because it is a little longer and was pleasantly surprised that it is very comfortable for me.  

Choosing brands is complicated.  Choose the brand you feel is best for you.  

5 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Eric in Tulsa

The AudioStream is not a snap on cover.  It is in place of the regular battery cover and can be left on even when AudioStream is not in use.  I was wondering if it would be comfortable because it is a little longer and was pleasantly surprised that it is very comfortable for me.  

Choosing brands is complicated.  Choose the brand you feel is best for you.  

Having both the medium and the extended electrode, you are in a unique position to give your opinion as to whether the extended electrode makes a difference. Does the extended electrode improve your hearing compared to the medium?

I expected that to be true. It is good to actually hear someone say it is. That is a big plus toward MedEl. Depending on if the surgeon thinks my cochlea can handle the larger electrode. I will miss he native apps in the iPhone, but then that doesn't help me hear. At the end of the day, hearing is what it is all about. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Which native apps in the iPhone will you miss?  AudioStream connects as a hearing device under accessibility for iPhones.

The iPhone apps allow you to directly control the Nucleus and Kanso as far as the sound program and the gain. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eric in Tulsa

the AudioKey 2 app from Med-El lets us directly control the Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3.  We can change programs.  Increase and decrease volume.  Increase and decrease sensitivity (sound bubble).  Rename our programs for easy identification.  And for Sonnet- switch between M , MT and T settings.

That being said, I stay in one program 99% of the time.

And AudioKey2 has a find my processor function if we misplace the processor.  

I look forward to using the app as a remote.  Just for convenience.  At the moment I am still using the FineTuner remote.  Which is decked out in a sea turtle skin it cover.  Smile

• Like 1

I just had another thought. Currently I stream from my iPad to my over the ear headphones for my right ear. My left ear doesn’t comprehend what it’s hearing, but if gets a sensation of audio pressure that feels more comfortable than not hearing anything. 

Once I have the implant and can eventually stream to the implant, how do I get the right ear’s sound to the right ear? I think the iPhone/iPad will only stream to one device at a time. 

Does this make sense or do I need to clarify my question?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eric in Tulsa

For streaming for bilateral enjoyment, BT around the ear headphones work great as long as you choose a Sonnet 2 processor and not a Rondo 3 processor.  BOSE QC35 sound awesome and fit the Sonnet 2 inside the comfortable headphone cup.

For streaming to train your CI side you will want to use an option that delivers sound only to your CI side.

• Like 1

My ENT did not show me the Sonnet. They showed me the Synchrony 2 and a matching off the ear Rondo 3. Are you familiar with the Synchrony 2?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eric in Tulsa

Synchrony and Synchrony 2 are internal components of the Med-El CI system.  They have magnets that turn to align and are approved for stronger MRI tests.  (I have one Synchrony internal.). The main difference between Synchrony and Synchrony 2 is that Synchrony 2 has the main lead centered to make it easier for our surgeons.

Rondo 3 (off the ear) and Sonnet 2 (behind the ear) are the most current Med-El processors at this time.

It is all so confusing to a noobie. Especially an old noobie. I appreciate your patience teaching me what I don’t know. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Comparison of Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2

NOTE: ASM3 was FDA approved this summer and we are waiting to hear about its release in the US.  This link shows ASM 2.

https://www.medel.com/en-us/hearing-solutions/cochlear-implants/audio-processor-comparison

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eric in Tulsa

It is a lot to learn in the beginning.  But rest assured, you will catch on fast.  And we are a friendly, helpful group.  We were all in your shoes.

I must say that I’ve not seen any of the snobbery I expected between MedEl people and Cochlear America people, but the MedEl people are a much more active group in terms of community and communication. It’s really pushing my decision toward MedEl. 

• Like 2

@Mary BethI’ve read so much about MedEl and Cochlear America, it’s all starting to blur. I know that Cochlear supposedly has mentors to help guide newbies like myself, and I’ve signed up twice, but received no response.

Does MedEl have a similar program? If they do, how do I sign up?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eric in Tulsa

Yes Med-El US has mentors too.  Several of us in HPs are mentors.

Let me send you a HP mail message.  Check the top menu for the envelope symbol soon.

• Thanks 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eric in Tulsa

I sent you an email to connect you with your regional Med-El consumer engagement manager (CEM) and a Med-El mentor.

Also check out this link and scroll down to Oklahoma and sign up for a virtual one on one.

https://web.cvent.com/event/6276db38-b631-49ec-95fe-189b83917861/summary?rp=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@Eric in Tulsa

I sent you an email to connect you with your regional Med-El consumer engagement manager (CEM) and a Med-El mentor.

Also check out this link and scroll down to Oklahoma and sign up for a virtual one on one.

https://web.cvent.com/event/6276db38-b631-49ec-95fe-189b83917861/summary?rp=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

I’m signed up for Thursday at 10:00AM. Thank you so much for helping me navigate these confusing waters. 

• Like 2