Using Audiolink connected to the TV

Bety85

I am trying to connect my audiolink to my tv so I can stream the sound directly to my processor.  I followed the instructions and the audiolink lit up like it was receiving a signal but I was never able to get the sound to stream to my processor.  I have a newer Samsung TV that does not have the RCA plug ins but I have the adapter for it.  I looked online  and from I read I might need a digital to analog sound converter.  Has anyone successfully used the audiolink with their TV?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bety85

Yes I have streamed sound from my TV through AudioLink.  If you can not connect the dock directly, you can use the AudioLink as a remote mic and set it close to your TV speaker so it picks up the audio.   

7 hours ago, Bety85 said:

I am trying to connect my audiolink to my tv so I can stream the sound directly to my processor.  I followed the instructions and the audiolink lit up like it was receiving a signal but I was never able to get the sound to stream to my processor.  I have a newer Samsung TV that does not have the RCA plug ins but I have the adapter for it.  I looked online  and from I read I might need a digital to analog sound converter.  Has anyone successfully used the audiolink with their TV?

Many have but those with an RCA outlet from all I’ve read.  I too have a Samsung TV, The Frame and decided against trying to get even more stuff (converter box, etc)  just to get the AudioLink to work with the TV so I sent it back to MedEl.  

Was disappointed considering more and more TVs are ditching the RCA outlet for Toslink connection and nearly all hearing device tv streamers use that kind of connection with RCA a backup or not at all.  Maybe when MedEl comes out with a more up to date version or even their own tv streamer I’ll try it out then.

The using the microphone next to tv, while would work kind of defeats the point of streaming directly from the tv.  100% of the times, I have a vastly different volume going on than the non streamers while watching tv. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

I agree that optical TV connection is considered a better way to get digital audio and both the Artone TVB streamer and the Roger Select transmitter have optical connections to the TV if I am remembering that correctly.

Direct connectivity to the TV provides a better audio quality than setting the AudioLink in its dock near the TV speaker and using it as a remote mic.  But we still gain the ability to control our volume independent of the TV volume by using the volume control on the AudioLink as well as our processor volume control.

3 hours ago, John F said:

Many have but those with an RCA outlet from all I’ve read.  I too have a Samsung TV, The Frame and decided against trying to get even more stuff (converter box, etc)  just to get the AudioLink to work with the TV so I sent it back to MedEl.  

Was disappointed considering more and more TVs are ditching the RCA outlet for Toslink connection and nearly all hearing device tv streamers use that kind of connection with RCA a backup or not at all.  Maybe when MedEl comes out with a more up to date version or even their own tv streamer I’ll try it out then.

The using the microphone next to tv, while would work kind of defeats the point of streaming directly from the tv.  100% of the times, I have a vastly different volume going on than the non streamers while watching tv. :)

Thank you for your input John.  Yes, I am hoping MedEl will come out with a more updated version that we can use with the new technology.  I will stick to reading subtitles for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

Popped into the audiolink section to see about TV connection too. My issue isn’t too different - I have the base connected to the TV, AudioLink is paired to my Rondo 3, Rondo 3 is connected to my phone. Once I figured it all out I had no issue getting everything connected and streaming (I think/assume) but I honestly cannot tell the difference between streaming the TV to my processor at all or not. So I’m just assuming I have it all done properly. 

Conversely, from my iPhone or iPad there is a noticeable difference between streaming/not streaming so it’s very easy for me to correct if needed. I just haven’t been able to reliably use the AudioLink with my TV. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

My guess is that your AudioLink + TV set up is not working.  You should notice a difference, like you do when you use AudioLink with your iPad.

@John R- do you have any suggestions that may help Lauren and others connecting AudioLink to TV?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

RCA audio out connections are not very common on newer TVs.

It is possible to use a headphone jack on the TV and use the cables included in the AudioLink kit.  This may or may not mute the TV for others.

Some TVs require adjustments in their audio output settings to use some of these connections.

Some AudioLink users are just placing the AudioLink near the TV speaker and using the AudioLink like a remote mic.

@Mary Beth
Like the other posters, my TV doesn’t have anywhere to plug in the RCA connectors. However on my cable box (Direct Tv) there is an audio port for headphones. I pug the Audiolink directly into the cable box using the headphone adapter plug to stream to Rondo 3. All cable boxes aren’t the same but this is working for me.

Edited by Justsayin
Spellcheck

I haven't been able to figure it out just yet, but will some day. I can at least still hear the TV with my processor even if I'm not sure if its coming via AudioLink or TV speakers.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

Try muting the TV and see if you still hear it.  The mute button on our TV does not mute the audio through the AudioLink plugged into it.

or

Use the MIX button on the AudioLink to set it for AudioLink sound only and see if you hear the TV.

@Mary Bethreporting in that I made an embarrassing mistake in setup. I checked my hardware and have it up and running now. My tv had two different audio out plugins intended for different use and I had chosen poorly.  
I am normally more tech savvy than this. 

@Mary Bethlike it’s definitely streaming now. Much easier to hear the tv and it works even if the tv is muted or volume turned way down. I didn’t pause the tv before poking around so once the connection was corrected there was no discernible delay to the streaming beginning. It did make me jump but only because the volume was too high. I quickly got it down to a comfortable level. 

As for how things sound, still need additional MAPs to address not getting quite natural sounding speech and improving comprehension. 

Hi im attempting this today, have rca cable plugged in. No sound yet, have a vizio, av cable plugged in, cant hear yet. So have audio link paired, do i need to unpair my phone?

@Diannajust adding that my TV is also a Vizio and has two RCA audio out plugins which was my issue. I had the base plugged into the wrong one. As soon as the RCA cable was plugged into the correct one it immediately began working.

Oh cool i thought that might be it. I have 5 choices 2 reds, white, blue, green. I know its red and white. Gave it a rest will try again, thanx

I embarrassingly went for the Composite Audio Out which is labeled L/R and was conveniently located on the side of the TV. Sounds like that's what you went for too. It works for audio out... when the thing you're plugging in has audio to play (I have older tv shows that are CC only and my TV will not do CC via HDMI; had to get creative to get CC for the older stuff). My composite also has 5 options like yours, so just wondering if that also says Composite near it.

There was a smaller L/R Audio Out plugins towards the middle of the TV on the bottom, essentially a headphone jack but not labeled as such and was kinda hiding from me. This is the one that worked for my AudioLink.

Hey there, Oh cool i thought that might be it. I have found it! Analog out in the back about where you said. Thanks so much, streaming tv now yes!!!

Thank you lauren, so i have sonnet2 on esr, audiolink connected, the red and white plugged cable from kit to back of tv to audiolink stand. Thanks lauren! Ok so if i plug the other sudiolink cable from audiolink to my laptop, i. Set up for rehab.  Move it (the cable,)to my phone and i have streaming music or the word training.

I hope this makes sense, at any rate thank you lauren!

Di

• 1 month later...

Now that I'm Binaural with two Sonnet2 processors, I tried AudioLink with the TV. Using the TV's 3.5mm earphone jack, connected to the AudioLink docking station, I am able to hear the TV via both L & R Sonnet2 processors. This is great... BUT, after a short time, I hear the low battery beeps and the processor (either one) quickly shuts off. I power off the Sonnet2 and then on and it works for a while until it happens again.

I did NOT change my battery on either Sonnet2.

I turned AudioLink off, returning both processors to full microphone mode. I get no beeps as I do NOT have a low battery.  I am using PowerOne CI 675 batteries. Am I the only one experiencing this phenomenon?

Thanks,

Hal

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hal in Maryland

Do you know which firmware version your AudioLink is?  If you remove the cover and look inside, like when it arrived in the box before you assembled it, the firmware version is noted.

I will check the firmware version when I get home. I have AudioLink with me but do not have the prying tool with me. 
Thanks for your reply @Mary Beth