Truly hands free phone calls versus speaking into the phone

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

It’s funny how once you get used to something, returning to a previous way of doing things feels so inconvenient.

I have been enjoying completely hands free phone calls with my Sonnet, Rondo and OPUS2 processors for some time by using the Artone BT neckloop with the processors set on MT.

In the past few months I have been receiving countless phone calls from various doctor offices.  So I have been putting my processors on MT in the morning and slipping the Artone neckloop under my shirt.  That has worked splendidly even when I am upstairs and my phone is downstairs. (The Artone has terrific range.)

This afternoon I returned from a night away and had not put my Artone on yet when my phone rang from a doctor’s office.  So I answered the call on my iPhone by just holding the phone up to my processor mic instead of answering the call on my Artone (hands free).  It felt so limiting not to be able to look at my phone’s calendar etc while on the call!   

Once we are used to hands free calls, it is very hard to go back to speaking into the phone.  We need the BTLE option for the next generation Med-El processors to truly be hands free by using the processor mic (or a separate mic on the processor) to pick up our voices for others.  This is high on my wish list @MED-EL Moderator.  Along with user ability to change the mix ratio (including a 100/0 streaming only mix setting).

• Like 2

That’s why the iPhone has speakerphone mode. When I need to peruse my calendar or contacts while I’m on the phone I ask them if I can put them on speaker while I do so. I have yet to have anyone say no. Once I’ve found what I need, I take them back off. 

but, you are 100% correct about the convenience. I am really bummed out when my phone rings and my Phonaks are on the charger and not in my ear. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eric in Tulsa

you are correct about switching to speakerphone.  It does not allow for a private conversation but it is a work around.

21 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

It’s funny how once you get used to something, returning to a previous way of doing things feels so inconvenient.

I have been enjoying completely hands free phone calls with my Sonnet, Rondo and OPUS2 processors for some time by using the Artone BT neckloop with the processors set on MT.

In the past few months I have been receiving countless phone calls from various doctor offices.  So I have been putting my processors on MT in the morning and slipping the Artone neckloop under my shirt.  That has worked splendidly even when I am upstairs and my phone is downstairs. (The Artone has terrific range.)

This afternoon I returned from a night away and had not put my Artone on yet when my phone rang from a doctor’s office.  So I answered the call on my iPhone by just holding the phone up to my processor mic instead of answering the call on my Artone (hands free).  It felt so limiting not to be able to look at my phone’s calendar etc while on the call!   

Once we are used to hands free calls, it is very hard to go back to speaking into the phone.  We need the BTLE option for the next generation Med-El processors to truly be hands free by using the processor mic (or a separate mic on the processor) to pick up our voices for others.  This is high on my wish list @MED-EL Moderator.  Along with user ability to change the mix ratio (including a 100/0 streaming only mix setting).

Thank you  Marybeth for your input and  experiences I agree completely.

I would also like to see the Med El technicians work on getting us the option to adjust the mixing ratio on AudioStream which if it happens soon along with the Mic option you mentioned would resolve the other sound perception and quality issues with MT!

Thanks! 

Hi there,

thank you for sharing your ideas with us as your feedback always helps us improve our technologies. We will forward it to the responsible team.

Kind regards,
Gordana

• Like 2