First Waterwear experience

rodearly

I am a new Med-El CI recipient (bilateral: right ear 2015-Oct-30 and left ear 2015-Dec-02).  I have been severely hearing impaired since birth (1967).  Though I was mostly functional in the hearing world prior to getting my implants, the implants have brought major improvement.

I used the Rondo and water wear for the first time the week of December 27 while on a Caribbean cruise with my wife, children, and other family.  It was fantastic to be able to swim with my kids and be able to hear and talk with them in the water.  We did a "swim with the dolphins" event at the Cozumel stop; being able to hear was excellent.

I did have some struggles --not unexpected -- fitting the waterwear onto the Rondo.  I compensated by putting installing the waterwear (and of course the alkaline batteries) the day before needing it.  I also installed the hook so I can clip it to hair.

To further secure the Rondos, I bought a headband to hold them in place.  The headbead muffles sound to some degree but I could still hear.  For that reason I will wear a headband only when I need it.  I can find a Rondo if comes off in a swimming pool (as it did a few times) and therefore did not wear the headband.  But in the ocean or a lake, the headband is a must.

I was a bit disappointed in the batteries, which seemed to last 4-6 hours.  However, I discovered the batteries would revive and work again for a time the next day.

I do hope MedEl is working on a rechargeable battery solution for the Rondo.

My only other complaint is the detachable hook.  I have not been able to get it off the waterwear jackets.  I am visiting my audiologist next week so perhaps she will be able to help me.

Bottom line: The waterwear is fantastic excepting a few frustrations.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi rodearly!

Welcome. I also love the Rondo with waterwear. Since it definitely sinks, I also will use a headband or nammucap when not in a pool or hot tub. The batteries do only last 6-8 hours though. A rechargeable idea would be great for long beach days. Since I am also bilateral, I guess I could wear one side at a time for long days.

Welcome,

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I haven't heard any talk of a rechargeable version. I am sure Medel is looking into that being a possibility. Didn't realize battery life is so short.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yup 6-8 hours with the batteries you have to use due to the waterwear being air tight.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ahh that makes sense. Didn't account for it being air tight. Duhh

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Rodearly. Thanks for the information on the waterwear. I will be trying mine out this week. Nice to hear that it works.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sandy,

If you go completely underwater, you will get to listen to your very own gentle waterfall for a moment when you surface as water flows over the Rondo. Have fun!

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, that sounds so awesome. I will let you know my reactions.

• HearPeers Heroes

This really sound interesting and awesome in the same moment, Mary Beth :)

• HearPeers Heroes

There was a release party in Sydney recently held at a water fun park - unfortunately I was away so I couldn't attend.

Good to hear people like the product.

• HearPeers Heroes

Matt,

You haven't bought any? Not sure if you are a swimmer but would be curious of what you think. Sadly, we wait in the good old U.S.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, I was going swimming today. Didn't happen. Temperature was minus 35 with the wind chill factor so decided on a craft day in my craft room instead. Will make an effort later this week, probably Thursday. So looking forward to heading down south!

• HearPeers Heroes

I recently a got my hands on some. Not sure when I would use them.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, I was going swimming today. Didn't happen. Temperature was minus 35 with the wind chill factor so decided on a craft day in my craft room instead. Will make an effort later this week, probably Thursday. So looking forward to heading down south!

minus 35??!? :wacko:  Where did you plan to go for a swim?  :blink:  It`s a little bit - freeeeeeeeezinG!  :unsure:  ^_^  :lol:

• HearPeers Heroes

That's how it gets here in the north!! A bit off topic here.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes we are, but I was too shocked... Still am... Brrr...

• HearPeers Heroes

It gets even colder in the Yukon and North west territories and Nunavut. -50's sometimes. Brrrr!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Ouchhh!  :wacko:  :wacko:  :unsure:  :(  :(

But, ok - it`s Canada...;)

• HearPeers Heroes

That's just how it is!! We love it here!!! I love all seasons.

• HearPeers Heroes

My wife says that Fall is her favorite day of the year :D

No real fall down in the southern part of the US. Something I miss from growing up in NY.

• HearPeers Heroes

I like winter very much - it's my favourite time of the year...:D

• HearPeers Heroes

Me as well Ivana. I love the cold. Definitely don't like the heat. Ironic seeing where I live now

• Like 1