Rondo3 charging issues ?

Arnaud

Hello

I have charged my Rondo3 every night (00am--> 6am) with the induction charging tool. On the morning when I take it , the short press on the on/off button shows a green bar. Most of days it lasts to the night, but it happened 2 days in the 2 last weeks (not continuous days) where it was completly discharged after 4 or 6 hours. 

Shall I consider the processor is faulty and ask for a replacement ?

Arnaud

• HearPeers Heroes

@Arnaud

It seems the the position the Rondo3 is on the charging pad is very sensitive.  Any chance it was not centered correctly?

Some Rondo3 users have opted to charge their Rondo3 with the optional charging cable to avoid any issues with it not being fully charged in the morning.

Thank you @Mary Beth I'll try this for the next days. 

I received a response from Med-El support France : if the charging dock is not perfectly horizontal the Rondo can move for a few milleters and then stop charging. 

They also adviced me to put it on a precise position : the lock pic should face the "air charge" words as on that photoimage002.jpg.30766cca3934c279840e8220b6a02d81.jpg

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Arnaud

I hope that solves your problem.  Looks perfectly centered in the pic.  I guess it is very important to place it somewhere where nothing may tap it.

@Arnaud. I have had the same problem several times. The positioning of the Rondo 3 on the charging pad iS VERYY sensitive. The slightest movement can cause the charging light to go out. I have also noticed that the positioning of the Rondo on the pad is not always absolutely in the centre.

By the way, if you use Audiolink you can read the exact charge in hours and fractions on a smart phone. Again, the process is not absolutely accurate but is good enough. I track it every morning when I switch on and every evening just before I switch off. I prefer it to the coloured light system. Just a thought.

• Like 2

I’ve had the same issue and finally caved and got the charging cable when I need it. I still have the pad and still use it but some nights if I want to be sure I’ll use the cable instead. 

I live in an earthquake prone area so all the little ones would jostle the Rondo around. So far the charging cable has only not charged it twice… can’t fault anything for that. I forgot to plug it in both times. 😂

• Haha 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

very funny!  

If I used Rondo3, I would opt to charge with the cable too.  I really need to know my processors are ready to work when I put them on.

I am not a fan of processors that do not allow us to easily replace the rechargeable batteries as needed.

For a built in rechargeable battery I would only feel comfortable if it exceeded 25 hours of use in my real life including streaming when new.  That way, it may still last my 16 hour listening day 5 years later.

Hello everybody 

Thank you for your useful feedback. 

A few more questions :

- I'll the rondo automatically stop charging and turn off at 100% like it does with the pad? 

- I wonder of there is any risk to damage the plug on the rondo, plugging and unplugging the cable on it every day for years... It does not look as strong as USB plugs 

• HearPeers Heroes

That is a good question @Arnaud.  Let’s tag @MED-EL Moderator to find out if we use the optional charging cable every night to charge the Rondo3, will it cause any problems? Does it automatically stop charging when the Rondo3 is fully charged?

• Like 2

Hi @Arnaud and @Mary Beth,

thanks for your questions. We will check with our products experts and come back to you as soon as possible. 

Kind regards,

Barbara 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 6:21 AM, Arnaud said:

Hello everybody 

Thank you for your useful feedback. 

A few more questions :

- I'll the rondo automatically stop charging and turn off at 100% like it does with the pad? 

- I wonder of there is any risk to damage the plug on the rondo, plugging and unplugging the cable on it every day for years... It does not look as strong as USB plugs 

Hi @Arnaud and @Mary Beth,

here now the answers to your questions:

1) Yes, the audio processor stops charging automatically, when it's fully loaded - both for when used with the charging pad and used with the charging cable.

2) We extensively test our products for wear and tear, including the charging cable. The charging cable should last during the lifetime of your audio processor.

Kind regards,

Barbara 

@MED-EL Moderator: I was told last year by a then Med-El employee in Switzerland that charging Rondo 3  by cable is the Med-El preferred method as being both faster and better. Would you agree with that? Thanks.

• Like 2

@Andrew42 I think that is applied to all devices that support wireless charging. Charging through cable is always a reliable and better than the wireless I guess. 🙂

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Andrew42 said:

I was told last year by a then Med-El employee in Switzerland that charging Rondo 3  by cable is the Med-El preferred method as being both faster and better. Would you agree with that? Thanks.

Wireless charging wastes some of the energy (actually plenty) on the transmission. It is a magnetic induction field, so the energy goes to the upkeep and some gets transferred to the device. So the limitation of the method is that the device needs to be exactly in the center of the field to charge at full speed. Your internal implant is actually powered the same way by the processor. If you move the coil slightly sideway, you notice degradation of the sound before it cuts off, that's because the implant doesn't get enough power/signal gets too weak. 😁

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Enegra said:

Wireless charging wastes some of the energy (actually plenty) on the transmission. It is a magnetic induction field, so the energy goes to the upkeep and some gets transferred to the device. So the limitation of the method is that the device needs to be exactly in the center of the field to charge at full speed. Your internal implant is actually powered the same way by the processor. If you move the coil slightly sideway, you notice degradation of the sound before it cuts off, that's because the implant doesn't get enough power/signal gets too weak. 😁

Hello Enegra.

It is not exactly the initial subject, but I find it interesting too : the implant part around the magnet looks like an NFC antena. Does the processor really transmit the energy to the implant with induction technology, or NFC, or anything else ? And what about the sound signals transmision ?

Just now, Arnaud said:

Hello Enegra.

It is not exactly the initial subject, but I find it interesting too : the implant part around the magnet looks like an NFC antena. Does the processor really transmit the energy to the implant with induction technology, or NFC, or anything else ? And what about the sound signals transmision ?

Induction for both. That's why the connecting part is called a "coil". It has the coil creating the field, the other coil is in your internal implant around the magnet. You can see the golden loops in the pictures of the implants.

• Like 3

On 7/26/2022 at 10:24 AM, Andrew42 said:

@MED-EL Moderator: I was told last year by a then Med-El employee in Switzerland that charging Rondo 3  by cable is the Med-El preferred method as being both faster and better. Would you agree with that? Thanks.

Hi @Andrew42, thanks for your question. With RONDO 3 you have the full flexibility on how to charge your audio processor. Both ways are reliable and effective -  it depends on your individual preferences, on which option is the best for you.

Kind regards, Barbara 

On 7/26/2022 at 3:51 AM, Enegra said:

So thats why it gets garbled when i doze off and roll onto the coil...good to know. I actually will fiddle with the coil if i think things are "slightly fuzzy"

I’ve been charging my Rondo 3s with the pads. But I’ve started following this thread because I’ve got an upcoming 1-week trip on a sailboat and charging is obviously going to be a problem. OK, I’ll buy a pair of cords, right? 

The things cost $145 apiece!

8 minutes ago, Roy Louis Smith said:

I’ve been charging my Rondo 3s with the pads. But I’ve started following this thread because I’ve got an upcoming 1-week trip on a sailboat and charging is obviously going to be a problem. OK, I’ll buy a pair of cords, right? 

The things cost $145 apiece!

Wow, "only" 90€ in the french med-el online shop, --> 88 USD + shipping. (while the pad is only 20€)

You don't have one in your Rondo backpack ? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy Louis Smith

Yup.  Charging on a boat would make it very difficult to ensure the Rondo3 stayed exactly centered on the pads while charging.

But if you tend to wake up in the middle of the night, you may only need one charger cable.  Switch in the middle of the night to the other Rondo3.

Everything about these processors costs so much.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Arnaud

Each country decides what is included in the kits.  In the US, Med-El US does not include that Rondo3 charging cable unfortunately.