CI Prospect gets good advice from Mary Beth

JohnT

Hi, I'm John.  I am a senior with unilateral hearing loss.  I have moderate loss on my left and the sudden onset of complete loss in my right ear this past year.  I am a candidate for a CI and plan to try to get it scheduled within 4-6 weeks.  

I just had a long conversation with Mary Beth on the phone and it was extremely helpful.  Her knowledge and her candor are invaluable.  

I hope to connect with others as I try to decide which one to get.  

Hi John, I am also a senior with moderate loss and a hearing aid in my left ear and was down to 30% in my right ear so recently implanted with med el and activation day is tomorrow. Lots of information on the web, mee with reps of the different companies and with other ci users before I decided which company to go with. I chose med el since they had off the ear processor,, although I will be getting both types so will see which I like best. Also the longer array which hopefully give me better hearing for all pitch ranges. And the fact they are not locked into one brand of hearing aid so that I can get the best possible for my left ear. Good luck on your journey and lots of good info on this site.

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnT

Nice to see you here John.

I’m on my way out but want to tag people to connect you with….

@Joan John is interested in your experiences with MRIs after having CIs

@Kylie and @Jared Charney John is interested in your experiences after sudden hearing loss and with tinnitus 

@JohnT do you have any specific questions or concerns about MRIs after implantation that I could help with? I’m bilateral (since 2014) and since being implanted I have had 5 MRIs of my brain, all without incident or any problems. I’d be happy to share any information about my experiences you might find helpful.

Wishing you all the best in your CI journey.

• Like 2

@JohnT Please feel free to reach out about any details about my own journey from sudden hearing loss (right ear) and my battle with tinnitus (it always won) and my final escape and road to recovery from surgery/implantation. I'm always also happy to jump on the phone as well, cheers!

• Members

I'm also happy to talk @JohnT.  Jared, Mary Beth, and others have been so generous in their support for me, I'm happy to pass along my help too.  I'll send a PM message with easy info for connecting via Zoom. 

Have SSD and tinnitus.  Came on gradually about 12-15 years ago, 7 year ago got bad enough I had to do something.  CI was recommended but not approved.  I got a bone conduction implant that gave modest improvement.  Last year investigated what next and got approved for CI.  I just got activated last week.  First followup appointment this afternoon.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @JohnT I am single sided deaf and had my implant 4 years ago. I had terrible tinnitus on the affected side, which is now not noticeable while wearing my processor unless I try very hard to find it. When I take it off at night the tinnitus is there but much quieter than before.

• Like 2