Can CIs Cause Regular Vertigo?

tmscarlett10

Hey all. Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. But I've got another interesting question if anybody could put in their two senses.  🙃

So I've been experiencing a lot of vertigo spells lately; that's been keeping me from work some days. 

I went to my CI surgeon who referred me to neurology who ordered a brain mri, and who knew??? The radiologist couldn't see anything because the stinking implant is in the way! Way to go mri safe... anywhere but the brain I guess. 

Anyway, after that, I was a little too angry to go back to surgeon... I know it's not his fault, it was an in-the- moment thing. But I think I need to go back to discuss another possibility that came to my attention. 

My stepsister wears hearing aids, and has regular vertigo because of them.  I never had this problem when I wore HAs, but can CIs also cause this issue?

Thanks guys!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

sorry to hear this.  Vertigo is no fun.

The internal implant causes artifacts on parts of brain MRIs.  I wonder if a CT scan could show whatever your doctor is checking?

CIs and vertigo….. definitely some people have balance issues post CI surgery and benefit from vestibular therapy.  I’m not sure about the connection when vertigo starts so much later than surgery.

But I did see this online…,

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11271438/

Quite a number of people with CIs have reported BPPV episodes which have been fixed by things like the Epley maneuver or by a PT.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1016/j.otohns.2005.01.004

I hope you feel better soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

I had vertigo for the first few months and years after surgery, and although it has not disappeared completely, it is true that the intensity and duration of these events decrease as time goes by. I have detected which position of head, I must to avoid.

@Valentin, you still have vertigo after years of surgery?

It has been about two years since my surgery, and this is just popping up now... probably should have mentioned that in my above statement. 

I have always had balance problems, but not in the form of vertigo

I am afraid of losing my job; can't apply for fmla for another month and a half. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10, yes I have them, but now, It happen only with rapid movement or If I put head in a specific position. some years ago, I had to be careful, because an uncommon movement or  uncommon position, generate it. Now this vertigo or feeling of instability have been significantly reduced.

I wish I knew what movement was causing it. I mostly just wake up that way, but I don't even have to get up to feel it. As soon as I open my eyes, I know something isn't right

• HearPeers Heroes

Here's a hint. If I put te head  If my head is below the horizontal plane, vertigo is sure to occur. I avoid this position. If I do a rapid movent with head. Vertigo come sure. I avoid this movement too.