Roger Pen Helpful Tips and videos

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

There has been a lot of interest in the Roger System, especially the Roger Pen, since some users are receiving it in their activation kits and others are purchasing it independently.  I have seen lots of helpful info about the Roger System online and thought it may be helpful to have one topic where all of those links can be found.  

• HearPeers Heroes

For CI users who want to use Roger but also want to be able to receive a 100/0 sound mix (all sound from your sound source and no sound from your CI mics), this can be achieved with the Roger MyLink receiver which is a neckloop.  Setting the CIs to MT gives us a 50/50 mix and setting the CIs to T gives us a 100/0 mix.  This may be helpful when we want to listen to music, audiobooks, etc and do not want to hear any of the noise around us.

http://www.phonak.com/content/dam/phonak/gc_hq/b2b/en/products/roger/receivers/_downloads/User_Guide_Roger_MyLink_029-0265.pdf

Could someone give a clearer summary of how to go about getting the necessary items to add the Roger pen functionality with both the Rondo and the Sonnet. My medel rep said they don't sell it to existing medel recipients but are providing it to new implant recipients. Do I go to eBay, amazon, or what?

• HearPeers Heroes

In the US, you can purchase the Roger System from audiologists. Many CI centers can help with that.  Some people have chosen to order online via vendors in the U.K. Some people have found them on eBay.

Be aware that Roger Pen and Roger Easy Pen are not the same device.  See Phonak's website for more info on that if interested.

Also be aware that the CI setting on the Roger X type 02 receiver is different for the Rondo versus the Sonnet.  So if you want to use the receiver with both types of processors, you will need a Roger Touchscreen Mic or Roger Inspiro Mic to keep changing the CI setting.  Info above about CI settings.

Some things to consider: (I will refer to the Roger Pen since you asked about it but other Roger transmitters could be purchased instead.  There is info about the choices in the links above.)

Sonnet:  Roger Pen plus Roger receiver(s) are needed.  Choices include-

Roger Pen plus Roger X type 02 receiver (one per Sonnet)- must get the Roger X type 02 receiver set to the CI channel for Sonnets (info in links above) and the Roger Pen can not do this. It can be set via a Roger Touchscreen mic, Roger Inspiro or by Phonak when specified in the order.  Some audiologists have transmitters at their office that can set this for you.  Some do not.  No way to get 100/0 mix with this set up.

Roger Pen plus Roger 21 receiver (one per Sonnet)- This comes preset for Sonnets already.  No way to get 100/0 mix with this set up.

Roger Pen plus Roger MyLink receiver- This is a neckloop receiver.  You can get 100/0 mix with this by choosing T setting on Sonnet.  50/50 mix by choosing MT setting on Sonnet.  Must be worn around your neck.

Rondo: Roger Pen plus Roger receiver(s) are needed.  Choices include:

Roger Pen plus Roger MyLink receiver- This is a neckloop receiver.  You can get 100/0 mix with this by choosing T setting on Rondo.  50/50 mix by choosing MT setting on Rondo.  Must be worn around your neck.

Roger Pen plus Roger X type 02 receiver (one per Rondo)- This only works with the Rondo mini battery pack so a cable will run from the Rondo to the battery pack where the Roger X type 02 receiver plugs in.  must get the Roger X type 02 receiver set to the CI channel for Rondos (info in links above) and the Roger Pen can not do this. It can be set via a Roger Touchscreen mic, Roger Inspiro or by Phonak when specified in the order.  Some audiologists have transmitters at their office that can set this for you.  Some do not.  No way to get 100/0 mix with this set up.

i hope this helps.  I recommend that you go through an audiologist and that you ask about the trial period or return policy.  Good luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Heywayne

Heywayne here and Wayne in the FB group?  One and the same Wayne?

• HearPeers Heroes

Med El Cochlear Implant Discussion Group

Someone named Wayne asked how to order the Roger System there today too.  Smile.

Yep, that's me too. ??? 

Due to my multidimensional issues with meniere's and the implant, I follow several groups. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Between here and the FB group, did you find answers to your questions?  Anything else we can try to help with?

Thank you for the helpful information on the Roger Pen & Roger 21.  I am wondering if this might be a useful tool for me in many ways.  Have recently started a new job & have people in & out of my office regularly.  Having a hard time hearing legibly on a consistent basis.  Have a LITTLE bit of low tone hearing left in my non cochlear implant ear & it is the only thing that makes hearing sound "somewhat" normal.  The implant is still extremely electronic sounding & not very clear in the "real world" on it's own. (10 mths active)  I will also need to attend meetings with at least 5 others & know this will be a struggle for me.  I am unable to hear on the corded office phone via the telephone receiver.  It sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher on the Peanuts movies.  I am currently using speaker phone but that is still a struggle even with the volume at it's max. (I'm sure more volume would be helpful but I'm maxed out on the phone.)  My employer would prefer I not use speaker phone due to confidentiality of the conversations.  Have some questions & apologize if any of them were answered in the various links.  Does anyone have experience using the Roger Pen with a corded office phone?  In researching it appears it may be possible but will require the use of some type of phone adapter which is installed between the phone & the Roger Pen docking station.  Doesn't sound like the makers of the Roger Pen actually sell the adapter but I could be wrong.  Not finding a lot of technical definitive info on the adapter.  How is the volume adjusted when listening via the Roger Pen?--with the Med El remote or is it adjusted through the Pen or a separate remote?  Adam, did you find it necessary to adjust the volume while you were testing it out or did your usual volume seem to do the trick?  Since people are  in & out of the office, could I just lay the Roger pen on my desk & it would stream directly to my implant if someone came into my office?  Does it turn off or go into some type of sleep mode if it's not hearing voices or would it always be good to go?  What about the Roger 21?  Articles mention it going into sleep mode.  When does this happen?  Is this only if you turn the pen off?  While at work could I just leave the Roger 21 on my implant all day & it would operate like a standard battery cover if the Pen wasn't in use?  Would it be best to lay the pen on my desk or wear it around my neck when people are stopping in the office?  If it's worn around the neck does it seem to amplify your own voice more than what your voice sounds like with the implant mic alone?  Anyone have any idea of the ballpark price of the Roger Pen as well as the Roger 21?  Any other suggestions other than the Roger Pen for assistance with my corded work phone?  Just thought that might be a good option for hearing clarity at work as well as possible help with the corded phone.  From one of the articles I read I think I could use the Pen as a mic & then when the phone rang, place it in the docking station & then use it for the phone (as long as you have the adapter)  Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

The Roger signal comes in at a set volume to the Sonnet.  That set volume can be adjusted by changing the Easy Gain on the receiver BUT the Roger Pen can not adjust Easy Gain.  If your audiologist has a Roger Touchscreen Mic or a Roger Inspiro, she/he can adjust Easy Gain for your Roger type 02 receiver .  It is able to be adjusted -8 to +8 dB.  However when I tested the Roger with the Sonnet using the Roger X receiver, it was plenty loud already once the  Roger X was set to the CI channel for the Sonnet.

You do not want to wear the Roger Pen around your neck because that will change its mic setting and it will only pick up your own voice.

Yes you can lay it on the table and it will go into sleep mode and then activate again.  Using Roger X though will keep your Sonnet in  omni mic setting as long as it is plugged in.  Roger 21 will revert to your regular mic setting when in sleep mode.

Does your office phone have a headphone jack?  If so, you have lots of options.

If you do not plan on using the Roger Pen with your BlueTooth cellphone, you might find the Roger Touchscreen Mic to be more helpful.  Especially in meetings with five people.  That transmitter has more sophisticated microphones.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

• HearPeers Heroes

Get your office looped. Can use telecoil on M/T.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your feedback.  In regard to your following comment:
Yes you can lay it on the table and it will go into sleep mode and then activate again.  Using Roger X though will keep your Sonnet in  omni mic setting as long as it is plugged in.  Roger 21 will revert to your regular mic setting when in sleep mode.

When you say Roger X will keep your Sonnet in Omni mic setting as long as it is plugged in.  Is Omni mic setting the setting prior to ASM 2.0 activation? (which I have not had yet) So if you had ASM 2.0 activated you may be using something other than Omni setting & then you would have to unplug the Roger X to get the Sonnet to something other than Omni??

Any other benefits/drawbacks when comparing Roger X to Roger 21?

I contacted my audiologist to find out pricing on the Roger X & Roger 21.  She states the Roger 21 is not on the market yet.  Anyone have any idea when it will be available in the U.S.??  I assumed with the latest reviews of Roger 21 & the Roger Pen & Roger 21 & the mini mic that it was already available.  Why hype it up if you can't purchase it?

Does the Roger X plugged into the Sonnet make a noticeable weight difference when wearing the Sonnet?

I haven't ever used the tagging feature but will attempt to tag leighf to see if has information or can find out when Roger21 may be available in the US.

@leighf

• HearPeers Heroes

Phonak told me late summer for an estimate of Roger 21 in the US.  It is already in use elsewhere.

ASM 2.0 has omni, natural and adaptive.  We have been using omni in ASM 1.0.  Things sound a little different to me in ASM 2.0.

Yes Roger X would need to be detached to use natural or adaptive mic settings.

Going into sleep mode for Roger 21 should be automatic and it will start itself up again when there is audio.

Roger 21 perks over Roger X are

look

weight

ability to use other mic settings

Will I be able to hear with the Sonnet as normal when the pen is laying on my desk & no one is in my office, yet if someone walks in the pen will hear in directional mode then when my co-worker leaves I am back to hearing normally via my Sonnet again?  Will the Roger X still be using 2 mics when ASM 2 is turned on or will it always hear in Omni ASM 1?

Also want to make sure it's feasible to wear Roger X all day at work & maybe change back to regular cover when I go home at night.  Have you worn the Roger X & is the extra weight noticeable?

Sounds like it may be worth waiting until the end of summer for the Roger 21, although I guess a drawback may be that the Roger 21 may not work with processors developed after the Sonnet.  Any idea of typically how many years before a new processor model is released by Med El?

Thanks again for your always informative posts!

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes you would hear from your Sonnet mics even with the Roger Pen on your desk.  If you do not need the BlueTooth phone feature of the Roger Pen you may want to get the Roger Touchscreen Mic instead.  It has more advanced mics when placed on a table, especially in noise.  And it can set your Roger X to the CI setting for your Sonnet.

Yes with Roger X (remember you need type 02 receiver) while it is attached the Sonnet will stay in omni.  Even when the Pen is turned off.  The act of plugging it in the FM cover sets the Sonnet to omni.  That's my understanding.  DAI cables do the same thing.

The Sonnet will be set to omni ASM 2.0 (which is a one mic setting) when the Roger X type 02 receiver is plugged in. (Once you get updated to ASM 2.0)

Kids at school wear those Roger X receivers all school day so no problem with that.

I have tested the Roger X but have not worn it for long periods of time.  I think the Sonnet feels different with the FM battery cover on.

Roger 21 is tiny and has the benefit of switching back to natural or adaptive when asleep.  No idea of how long before another processor is released.  You can look at the Med El timeline and get a feel for what has happened in the past.

integrated receivers are nice but may become useless when you change processors.

as far as your landline work phone issues.........does it have a headphone jack?  That could open  up possibilities for you.