Roger Pen Helpful Tips and videos

Mary Beth

Mary Beth.....I think if you ever wish to change jobs -- you would be the best Med El CSR!!  You are so helpful to everyone who has questions or needs assistance & your first hand knowledge is unsurpassed!  It's obvious you keep up on the latest/greatest & always have detailed reference material at your fingertips.  We all appreciate you!

I thought the pen was the route to go because of the versatility but now I have more to consider.  I haven't been impressed using Quattro Bluetooth & the cell phone so I'm not sure that I would really like it with the Roger Pen either.  I liked the additional feature of plugging the pen into the TV since that's not real clear for me.  But I guess if I decided on the Touchscreen mic, I could try placing the Touchscreen mic by the TV speaker & maybe that would be helpful.  It does sound like the Touchscreen mic is more sophisticated for use on the table at meetings & in noisy situations.  Not sure if there would be much difference between the pen & touchscreen mic as people come in & out of my office during the day.  Have you ever used the Touchscreen mic yourself?  Wonder what the pricing is like.  You reference the Roger X 02 receiver.  I would need the 02 receiver for either the pen or touchscreen mic?  Would I be able to do the setups for the Roger X & touchscreen mic or pen myself or does the Audiologist have to set them up?  I know they have to be ordered from the audiologist.

If you think of anything else that might be helpful in considering the 2 different options, don't hesitate to share it!

Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you for your kind words but I am a very happy Teacher of the Deaf.  Smile.

This is a link to the Roger Touchscreen Mic manual

https://www.phonakpro.com/content/dam/phonakpro/gc_hq/en/products_solutions/wireless_accessories/roger_touchscreen_mic/documents/user_guide_roger_touchscreen_mic_029-3222.pdf

There is the ability to connect via an audio cable but it specifically says computer, tablet, etc and does not say TV however it may work with your TV if your TV has a headphone jack. (In the past we have used audio out to mini plug cables with Roger Inspiro and that worked great.)

Knowing exactly how you want to use the Roger System will help you decide on the correct transmitter.  If you want cell phone, TV connection to the dock, etc you may want the Roger Pen (not the Roger Easy Pen so be careful about that).

If you choose the Roger Pen you have these options for getting your Roger X type 02 receiver set to the CI setting for Sonnets...

-ask your audiologist to specify that in the order to Phonak so it is shipped that way

-ask your audiologist if she/he can do it via a Roger Touchscreen Mic or a Roger Inspiro

I have listened in to the Roger X on my Sonnet when that setting was not set and the Roger system automatically set the volume and it was not good.  Way too quiet.  Phonak says Roger can not set impedance for CIs automatically, only hearing aids and that is why there are CI specific settings.

Please do not think that Roger will sound anything like the Quattro BlueTooth neckloop.  Way different types of tech.  Roger will sound much better!  That being said, I actually prefer the sound and function of the Artone 3 MAX BlueTooth neckloop over the Quattro4.   I have both and never use the Quattro.

My suggestion is to ask your audiologist for prices and for the return policy.  Phonak usually has a return window.  Don't purchase it if you can not return it for a refund. Then make your best decision and test it in all situations before the return period is over.

I have listened to the Roger Pen, Roger Touchscreen Mic and Roger Inspiro.

Good luck.  Please let me know if you test it out and how it works or doesn't work for you.

I'm a little confused by the following:

If you choose the Roger Pen you have these options for getting your Roger X type 02 receiver set to the CI setting for Sonnets...-ask your audiologist to specify that in the order to Phonak so it is shipped that way, -ask your audiologist if she/he can do it via a Roger Touchscreen Mic or a Roger Inspiro

I was looking at the fitting guide for Roger https://www.phonakpro.com/content/dam/phonak/gc_hq/b2b/en/products/roger/receivers/_downloads/Fitting_Guide_Roger_MED-EL_Opus2_Rondo.pdf

It states: Roger X must NOT be programmed when used with MED-EL audio processors systems. Sensitivity and Volume settings of MED-EL audio processors affect the microphone and external input (Roger or Telecoil) in the same way.

Is "getting set to CI setting for Sonnets" something different than what they are referring to about:  "Roger X must NOT be programmed when used with MED-EL audio processors systems" ?

As far as what I am looking for in a transmitter....I want it all!  I really need more clarity of speech at work, whether one on one, or in a meeting.  This is critical for me to be able to perform my job at my best.  An added bonus would be assistance with my cell phone (my only option to hear legibly is on speaker phone & it is a major struggle because I'm maxed out on volume) & TV but ultimately the assistance at my work environment is most important.  In order to have it all, I would need to go with the Roger Pen, but wonder if that will be enough.  Of course, all I have to compare it to currently is assistance via the Quattro which I don't even bother with as it's not all that helpful.

• HearPeers Heroes

Look at the bottom of page 3 of your attachment and it will list the CI settings for the Opus2/ Rondo/ Sonnet.  That CI setting makes a huge difference on the Sonnet.  Some people report that it doesn't make as huge a difference on the Opus 2 and Rondo.

I listened without it set and with it set.  Way different.  Huge difference with my Sonnets.

• HearPeers Heroes

If you are experiencing difficulty in several settings, have you thought about going back to your audiologist for a MAPping change?  Maybe it will help.

• HearPeers Heroes

I recently received the Roger Pen and Roger X receiver and love it. I find it quite simple to use and the sound quality is amazing.

I have used the Quattro 4 since 2014 HLAA Convention in Austin, TX. I bought it with the Clearsounds QH2 device for desk telephone use. I have loved it too. I received another Quattro in 2016 with my right side CI. so I have a backup. When I received my Left side CI in 2017 I chose the Roger pen over another Quattro. Apparently that is a new offering from MedEl.

I have used the Quattro 4 with my iPhone for calls and music listening. My experience with the remote mic of the Quattro 4 in a restaurant setting, for example, is that it reduces the background ambient noises of voices and clatter to the point that I am able to hear the conversation at the table I am at. The Quattro requires me to use my T setting (Telecoil-only) mode and works in both CI's easily. For cellphone use I am quite happy to be hands free - at my desk at work or in the car. wherever I may be. On the street corner being in T mode is like my own private booth for phone calls. However in the restaurant the remote mic may reduce background noise, but the sound quality of that mic is well, wanting. As a musician, I expect better.

The Roger Pen system with the Roger X connected to my one (right side) CI processor (FM Battery cover) allows me to hear voices I want to hear and conversations on the iPhone. All very clearly - much higher quality than the mic on the Quattro. And I do not have to change anything with the FineTuner. The only drawback is that it is one sided. :mellow: If I want to order an additional Roger X receiver for my left side CI from my AuD its $600! - Yikes!

The Roger Pen can be Bluetooth-connected to my iPhone for calls. I hear ringing  of incoming calls and use the Roger Pen as a mic for the calls.

I am still learning a lot with the Roger Pen and am happy with both Roger system and the Quattro which I use for hands free cell calls.

I am always looking for more information.

Joe 

• Like 2

OK, I finally got the Roger pen and receiver at a cost of $1,000 u.s. Dollars from my audiologist. However, I cannot get the receiver to connect to the Roger pen. All I can get is a flashing blue light but no sounds from either the Roger pen mic or my iPhone. Does something have to be programmed into the Sonnet in order for the receiver to work?

Thanks, Mary Beth.  So the CI programming for Roger pen is in regard to volume?  With that setting programmed, does it just automatically increase the volume or do you need to use your processor remote control to change the volume?  I'm sure I would want that set.  I typically have plenty of volume when I use my Sonnet except when I use the cable to plug into my ipad (volume on ipad turned to max) & then I always have to bump up the volume with my remote.  If this setting is in regard to volume, I would definitely want it set.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wayne,

Nope nothing gets programmed in the Sonnet.  Have you paired the Roger Pen with your phone?

• HearPeers Heroes

Travel,

It is perceived as volume yes but the setting I believe actually sets the impedance level for the Sonnet.  In other words, how much of the signal strength is lost by the Sonnet.  Definitely get it set to the Sonnet CI setting.

Yiu will have multiple volume controls to use if needed but hopefully you won't need to use them.

Joe,  Thanks for sharing your experience with the Roger pen.  Glad to hear you like it!

Mary Beth, my audiologist thinks the Roger pen is a better fit for me than the Roger Touchscreen mic.  I did notice, however, when speaking of the Roger touchscreen mic that she stated in her email: "the receiver required for it is more expensive than what is needed for the Roger Pen."  I know you always refer to Roger X type 2.  In further research I see that reference material says Roger X type 3 is used with adults & the roger pen. I wonder if that is what my audiologist is referring to.  This is a bit worrisome if only type 2 can be set with the Sonnet CI setting.  I know you said you noticed a big difference when it was not set. Can you let me know what you think?

• HearPeers Heroes

I have never listened to the Roger X type 03 but I am pretty sure Med-El is including the Roger X type 02 in new surgery Sonnet kits in the US now.  So I suggest you contact in house audiology at Med-El and ask them if the Roger X they are including is type 02 or type 03.  The integrated Roger receiver for the Sonnet is called Roger 21 and ONLY comes in type 02.  Good luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

Follow this link and you will see that the new Roger 21 integrated receiver is only available in type 02 for the Sonnet

http://www.connevans.co.uk/product/16158225/3PR212/Phonak-Roger-21-integrated-receiver--type-02-

• HearPeers Heroes

• HearPeers Heroes

Follow this link choose Med El, then choose Sonnet, then choose receiver.  Phonak only lists Roger X type 02 as appropriate for the Sonnet 

http://www.phonakpro.com/com/b2b/en/support/roger-support-center/roger-configurator.step2.html?_charset_=UTF-8&brand=MEDEL&category=HS0105&product=Sonnet

• HearPeers Heroes

If you plan on using the Roger Pen for BlueTooth, make sure your audiologist does not order the cheaper Roger Easy Pen (It cannnot connect to your phone via BlueTooth)

Thank you so much for the helpful links, Mary Beth.  Do you have an email address for Med El in house audiology?  Also, do you have a good email contact for a helpful contact at Phonak?  Maybe I could get someone to give me a more definitive release date of the Roger 21 as well.

• HearPeers Heroes

Med El USA in house audiology email is

audiology.us@medel.com

In my experience Phonak does not offer end user support.  They do not sell directly to end users.  You would have to call their main number, which may be found on their website.  You may be able to find other ways of contacting them via email, etc.  The contact info I have is as a Teacher of the Deaf and goes to their school desk support.  I do not have a general customer service number for them.  However, they recently advertised the Roger 21 in a bulletin which listed the item numbers for the various color choices so I think must be getting close.  They did not list prices as schools have various price lists based on the volume of Phonak products they purchase.

Let me know what you find out from in house audiology and Phonak.  If you hit a wall wit your Phonak, it may be faster to ask your audiologist to contact them on your behalf and ask when the Roger 21 receivers will be available to order and the price.  Your audiologist will have a Phonak account number.

Good luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

I heard that Phonak was at the recent HLAA convention in Salt Lake City and had a Roger 21 receiver there to show.

Just spoke to a rep at Phonak & she tells me the Roger 21 is now available in the U.S.  She said Roger X type 2 is geared toward education & type 3 is geared toward adult users.  Type 3 would not work for certain of their products.  When I quizzed her further she said that she did believe the type 2 set for the specific cochlear implant settings would be better than 3 for use with a cochlear implant.  She did verify that Roger 21 only comes as type 2.

• HearPeers Heroes

It just gets more and more interesting.  Smile.  I would contact Med El in house audiology to see which Roger X type receiver they are including in Sonnet kits for new users.  If Med El is using type 02, ask them if they are setting the receivers to the specific Sonnet CI setting before shipping them out.  I think if Med El is choosing type 02 and choosing to take the steps to set them to Sonnet CI setting, that would be very telling indeed.  Our Phonak Rep said we should use type 02 set to the Sonnet CI setting.

keep us posted.  

Also, there is a gentleman who got type 03 last month and didn't like it with the Sonnet.  He switched to type 02 set to the Sonnet CI setting and loves it.  I think he posted about that in the FB group.  You may want to search out his post and ask him directly for his experience.  Just a thought.

• HearPeers Heroes

However, you may just want to get the Roger 21 and then you do not need to explore the Roger X types at all.  Smile.

If you plan on using the ASM 2 mic settings of natural or adaptive, I would suggest you get the Roger 21.  It will automatically return to those mic settings when Roger is in sleep mode.  The Roger X will limit you to omni setting as long as it is plugged in.

I am enjoying the adaptive mic setting so I would prefer the Roger 21 integrated receiver even though I realize that it may not work with a future processor.

Which way are you leaning?  I know you are eager to solve your listening problems.

Now that I know Roger 21 is available in the US, the fact that it's one piece & will return to mic settings when ASM 2 is activated, I really think that Roger 21 is probably my best bet.  Thank you so much for the knowledge you so willingly share!