Max rechargeable batteries with Sonnet?

Hilary Beaumont Brown

Anyone here used the new Max rechargeable batteries with a Sonnet 1?

I just ordered 4 and new covers for my Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2. Work fine on my Sonnet 2 but none work on my Sonnet 1. But my old rechargeables DO work on my Sonnet 1 so that leads me to think it's not something up with my processor... but I'm at a loss. All the other rechargeable batteries were interchangeable between the Sonnets and there's nothing on the ordering website indicating that the new Max batteries are just for Sonnet 2s. I'm stumped!

I have emailed Union Hearing (my local Sonnet retailer) but just curious if anyone else has experience.

That is a really strange issue. What happens if you switch the battery adapter between the processors? Could it be that the old adapter might not work with the new batteries?

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hilary Beaumont Brown

I tagged you where this was discussed and a solution was found.  They do work with Sonnet 1 but obviously something is amiss.

• Like 1

Okay. So it is the battery adapter- the Sonnet 2 adapter on the Sonnet 1 works with the Max and the Sonnet 1 adapter does NOT work with the Sonnet 2 with the Max. BUT the Sonnet 1 adapter still works with the old batteries. I've not seen info from others or on the website that I'd need a new adapter though- just new covers which I did buy.

2 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Hilary Beaumont Brown

I tagged you where this was discussed and a solution was found.  They do work with Sonnet 1 but obviously something is amiss.

Thanks will go check it out!

Glad you got the problem narrowed down, that should help your Med-El retailer with responding to it accordingly. I was thinking that maybe the old adapter is a little bit strict about the voltage that might be different with the new battery. Just a speculation from me as an engineer. I don't think it is an intended behaviour, but probably not much you can do other than ordering a replacement if the part is out of warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried switching the Rechargeable battery adapters R with L and see if the problem stays with the adapter or with Sonnet 1. 
I am using Max batteries in my Sonnet 2 processors. They last all day. By evening, I swap for regular rechargeables. 

50 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Hal in Maryland

How many hours are your rechargeable MAX batteries lasting in your Sonnet 2?

Hi @Mary Beth. My Right Sonnet 2 uses more power than the Left.  Right lasts about 10 hours, Left about 12 hours. This is great. It allows me to drive a long distance without worrying about changing batteries. Using AudioLink, I get less time as BT uses a lot of power.

@Hilary Beaumont Brown When I first got the Max batteries, one didn't seem to work. I swapped the RBA with one I had in the rechargeable battery kit I got for my Sonnet 1.  It's not a matter of voltage; both are the same so I assume the RBA just didn't make a solid connection with the battery. Now, my Left Sonnet 2 is using the RBA that came with my Sonnet 1. I hope this will help isolate your issue.

• 3 months later...

I have been using the battery max for a week now. They didn’t work until I accidentally discovered something that caused them to work. In the morning I would connect battery to the processor and hook them to my head, leave it. It will turn on after a few minutes. Just be aware of sudden noise if you are busy doing something, you’d get startled. 

I was getting frustrated at first because the office told me something that didn’t make sense to me. After a few times of trying, I left the processor on my head so in a few minutes it turned on. Not exactly ideal but that’s how I’m doing it now. Lasted all day long. No more changing batteries midway throughout the day. 

I’m using Sonnet 1

• Like 1

I'm using Sonnet 2 processors. When I connect the Max battery to the processor, I wait until the light on the processor flashes, then I put it on my head.

Maybe Sonnet 1 behaves differently.  Good luck!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ricky

Batteries should turn the processors on as soon as they are attached.  

We should not have to wait minutes for the processors to power up.  And the processors should turn on even when they are not on our head.

• Like 2

• Members

I've never noticed a significant difference in the time for the processors to turn on between Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2 (with either Audiostream or Max Batteries).

Perhaps there is a difference but if so it, it wasn't noticeable for me.   @Hal in Maryland must have more patience than I do. 🙂 I don't bother waiting for the lights, once I turn it on (R3) or slide sleeve on (S2), I place it on my head and move on to the next thing in the morning.

4 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Ricky

Batteries should turn the processors on as soon as they are attached.  

We should not have to wait minutes for the processors to power up.  And the processors should turn on even when they are not on our head.

Tell Med El, I didn’t make the batteries.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ricky

We can ask @MED-EL Moderator if they have any suggestions for why a Sonnet 1 would take several minutes after the battery cover is closed to power on when using the rechargeable MAX battery.  Hopefully they can help.

I have been using battery max, max cover and sonnet2. Its the first thing on in the am, last thing off in the pm.  Occasionally, i might need an hour or so on my regular battery, especially if i have streamed from audio stream or not Maybe a second delay, not a minute or two. Some part is not working 😕 

Hello everyone, thank you for tagging us. We have discussed this issue with our product experts and recommend trying to attach and de-attach the Battery Max Cover a few times to activate it. 

Please let us know if this helps.

Kind regards,
Gordana

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ricky

Right before the small o-ring on my Sonnet 1 tore, my Sonnet was not starting up correctly.  Once that o-ring tore, it was easy to see what the problem was and replacing that o-ring solved the problem.  It also made me realize that I needed to have spare o-rings for whenever this happens again.  

Just sharing in case this happens to you as well.

Follow this link for pics and the post about Sonnet o-rings