July 2023 HearPeers GoogleMeet hosted by Mary Beth for Med-El CI users, their families and those considering a Med-El CI

Mary Beth

4 hours ago, Mary Jo Strickland said:

I’m sorry I missed the GoogleMeet yesterday! I’m wondering about hearing aids that connect with MedEl CIs. I’m about to get one for my hearing ear and would like to get one that works well. Also, am interested in follow ups and repairs of various models.

Thanks, Mary Jo

I’m sorry if this should be posted somewhere else, but this is a subject that has been mind-blowing to me personally as I am bimodal (soon to be, at least). 

@Mary Jo Strickland Are you interested in bimodal streaming? When I was researching different CI brands, I explained to the Med-El rep that I had Phonak HA and interested in streaming to both devices at the same time. She clarified that there’s a difference between bimodal *hearing* and bimodal *streaming*.  My understanding is that Med-El CIs will work with most HA brands for bimodal hearing.  I also spoke with my audiologist about it and she said my Phonak would work with the CI because she would program the CI to be at the same speed as HA (since CI is faster). However, to *stream* both at the same time, I would need a compatible phone/HA from the list that @Mary Beth gave you.

Since bimodal streaming is important to me, I decided to get a different HA. My audiologist contacted Med-El to confirm the compatible HAs and phones.

I have a Google Pixel 6 phone (which is compatible), and from the list of compatible HAs, my audiologist recommended Widex Moment (I have the Moment Sheer). I read that it has one of the fastest processing speeds for HAs, music lovers like them, etc. It definitely has a different sound from my Phonak HA(which I loved). Sharper and more clarity. Also more feedback, but not terrible so far.  It has an app that you can adjust sound settings, too.  So far I am happy with it, but since my CI isn’t activated yet, I can’t give any info on how bimodal hearing and streaming sounds.

Also, the Widex Moment comes with a three year warranty, so no charges for office visits (at least where I go), etc.

IMO, we all have different hearing preferences. I recommend talking to your audiologist about recommendations from the list and perhaps they can contact Med-El as well. 

My apologies for such a long response, but hopefully some of that info was helpful! I could tell you more after the 28th when my CI is activated.

My state gives 30 days to return HA if not pleased with them. That may be something to inquire about as well ☺️.