July 2023 HearPeers GoogleMeet hosted by Mary Beth for Med-El CI users, their families and those considering a Med-El CI

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Note:  We will limit invites to the first 25 HP members who respond.  If more than 25 members request invites, those above 25 will be placed on the top of the invite list for the following GoogleMeet chat.  We tend to have 10 or 11 chats a year.

The July  2023 HearPeers GoogleMeet hosted by Mary Beth will be on:

Sunday July 16 at 9:15 am New York time.  The meeting opens around 9:00 am New York time for chatting.

Med-El CI users, families and those considering a Med-El CI are welcome.

Invites are sent a few moments before the meeting opens to those who reply below.

GoogleMeet has free automatic captions.

Tagging those who have recently attended.  First timers are always welcome.  Smile

If you wish to receive an invite, please respond below.

@Mary Beth

@Kylie

@Joan

@Lauren

@Anne N

@Tim

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Roy

@JoceSky

@Mary G. Weaver

@Dianna

@Ralph34

@Andrew42

@Mary Jo Strickland

@Valentin

@Heather W

@Theo

@Betsy

@DianeH

@ERW

@Caroline

@JackieB

@Jimit

@tmscarlett10

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Invites for the July 16 GoogleMeet will be sent to the following members so far.  (No need to reply.  You are on the list.)

@Mary Beth

@Kylie

@Joan

@Lauren

@DianeH

@Dianna

@Tim

@tmscarlett10

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Anne N

@Heather W

@JoceSky

@Roy

If anyone else is interested in attending, just reply below.  First timers always welcome.

• HearPeers Heroes

Checking in to see if any of the following members want an invite to the July 16 GoogleMeet.  Just reply below if interested.

• HearPeers Heroes

@JackieB

Yay!  You have a surgery date!  Exciting!

Which processor did you choose?

Okay, met with audiologist and now I'm up to speed. Looks like Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2 are my two devices. Does everyone get two from their facility like the one in Charlotte? Seems to be depend on the volume at each facility perhaps. Anyway, I was advised to stick with the standard 3 rechargeable batteries for Sonnet and avoid the new max life battery due to weight/size of larger earpiece. Wonder if anyone in the forum has thoughts on that?  Also for those whose hair is slowly transitioning from darker to gray/white - anyone select the Nordic Grey color and if so, how do you like it?  A vanity question to be sure, but there are options, so just trying to make the best choice for a 5-year decision.  I did find out that my surgeon does live monitoring of facial nerve during procedure. I meet with him for my pre-op visit next week. My concerns are vertigo, nausea and headache as I am prone to those. My husband is taking off two days of work to assist me - is that optimistic? Overkill? Would welcome any other questions to ask.

• HearPeers Heroes

@JackieB

Some CI centers in the US are known as two processor centers which means for surgical kits we get to choose 2 processors so we always have a back up.  This is a policy decision made by each CI center and not dependent on number of CI surgeries performed each year.  There are smaller CI centers who choose to be two processor centers and larger CI centers who choose to be one processor centers.

At two processor centers we can choose

one Sonnet 2 and one Rondo 3

or

two Sonnet 2

or 

two Rondo 3

Most people choose one Sonnet 2 and one Rondo 3 so they can experience both a BTE design and an off the ear design.  When we upgrade 5 or more years later, our insurance will only approve one processor per implanted ear.

I was fine home alone very quickly as my surgeries were easy to recover from.  I hope the same for you.

• Like 2

@JackieBI’m bilateral so I went thru the surgery twice both surgeries were pice of cake I took no meds after surgery this includes the prescription pain pills or over the counter medication remember if there is any discomfort ,but it will mean long term wonderful world of hearing.

Keep positive no negative 

Good luck

• Members

@JackieB Yes, I agree with what Mary Beth said.  I got surgery and implanted in January for SSD.  I went with a Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2.  I go back and forth on which one that I use the most but that is a long story.  I'm glad that I picked one of each. 

The advice of 3 standard batteries on a Sonnet 2 and skipping the Max makes sense and I would agree.  The Max doesn't work with the AudioStream wifi streaming cover which is my favorite part of using a Sonnet 2.  I got a Max and have almost never used it.  

A lot of gear to learn but that is something that comes with practice. 

Two days off for your husband seems reasonable. Would have worked for me. Of course people respond to surgery & anesthesia differently.

Lots of information elsewhere in HearPeers about things like rehab, getting ready for surgery, and post surgery.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

updated

Invites for the July 16 GoogleMeet will be sent to the following members so far.  (No need to reply.  You are on the list.)

@Mary Beth

@Kylie

@Joan

@Lauren

@DianeH

@Dianna

@Tim

@tmscarlett10

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Anne N

@Heather W

@JoceSky

@Roy

@Theo

@Betsy

@JackieB

If anyone else is interested in attending, just reply below.  First timers always welcome.