Looking for happy AudioLink users

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

If you are a happy AudioLink user will you please answer these questions?

1.  One or two CIs?

2.  Rondo 3, Sonnet 2 or Sonnet 1?

3.  Do you use AudioLink cabled to the sound source?

4.  How far away can you be from the AudioLink ?

5.  Are you experiencing any problems?  If yes, please explain.

I will tag a few people to get us started.

@Roy

@Lauren

@Tim

@Dianna

@Karen T

@KittKatz

1. Bilateral, two CIs

2. Sonnet 2s and Rondo 3s. For AudioLink I leave it paired to my Rondo 3s. 

3. Yes. Both AudioLinks and their bases are left cabled into TVs. Rarely do I unplug them.

4. Approximately 6 feet but when it gets around there the connection can be spotty (audio gets scratchy). 

5. Yes. 
    - Head shadow: causes scratchy audio or can even cause connection to drop. Sometimes the audio reconnects quickly, sometimes not. 
    - Occasionally while actively steaming and within range the AudioLink will drop connection entirely, no warning. The only fix is to go to the base and pull the AL out and push it back in. My first AL would do this constantly so it got a warranty replacement. The replacement infrequently does this. 

The two reasons I use the AL instead of the Artone is my Rondo 3s and the battery length. Rondo 3s don’t work well or easily with T-Coil and the Artone battery lasts ~4 hours. To get through a regular streaming day I would need 4-5 Artones plus the base for the TV ($800+ USD Artone alone w/o tv base vs $650USD for full AL kit) and have to stop-and-swap to keep going. I prefer pausing streaming on my terms and the only limit to streaming time is my Rondos; I can get a good 12 hours out of them before I need to think about charging. 

Artone and AudioLink are matched in being able to do 50/50 or 100/0 listening. When home alone I just mute my TV and can hear sounds around me without getting an echo. If I’m watching TV with others I would hit a button on AL to get 100/0 streaming, shutting off my microphones and allowing the TV volume to be on so everyone can enjoy. 

That said, I use the AudioLink because it’s the best/only option for the Rondo 3s and not because I think it’s the best most awesome thing ever. There are areas it can do better (range) and areas it must improve in (connectivity to other devices eg cabled improvements). Also really wanting the Audio2Ear app to go away as it’s just a toggle button that only works after making sure the AL is connected in BT/AudioKey2. I’m hoping that the AL isn’t limited by protocols in the future but at the very least the toggle button would’ve been better if incorporated into AudioKey2 app somehow. 

Also a side-wish is for Med-El to stop making similar names for their products… I had to go back and forth writing this to make sure I wasn’t mixing up names (looking at you, AudioKey2 vs Audio2Ear). Not entirely sure I got them straight  😅

• Like 2

I’m bilateral, and I use the AudioLink mainly with Rondo 3s.

I wouldn’t say I’m exactly happy with it, but I’ve found it's very useful for some things. I use it for phone calls, for example, with it clipped to my collar. It’s not wired up for this, so the sound quality isn’t great. It is, however, miles better than a cell phone speaker. One serious issue with this use is that the AudioLink won’t pair with the phone if the phone is running AudioKey 2 and is already paired with the processors for that. I found this out the hard way on a call that I really needed to hear.

I’ve also used the AudioLink as part of the mini-sound system in my car, which I’ve described on another thread. For this use I wire it to the system output and attach it high on the center console near my right shoulder (or left if I’m not driving). With ambient sound turned off it provides a comfortable bubble to converse or listen to music, podcasts etc. in high fidelity, even with the top down at 80 mph. 

The AudioLink also does well for video calls, wired into my tablet or desktop computer. It seems to perform fine setting on the desk in front of me. Again, the sound is a bit staticky, but that’s much less of a problem for phone or video calls than for music.

A few more observations - The AudioLink seems to perform better in the absence of competing wireless signals, which may explain why it works well in the car. Also, it’s persnickety. It won’t connect to the processors for streaming until it actually hears a signal. And you’d better unpair it from your phone if you’re streaming with the top down on the interstate, ‘cause otherwise if you get a phone call it will switch your ambient mic on without warning, and hoo boy 😱.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

I agree with your above comment about @MED-EL Moderator using very similar names for different items and how confusing that can be.  After all, how many different items do we need all starting with the word audio?

audiokey2

audiotoear

audiolink

audiostream

It causes so much confusion for people.

and thanks for your detailed response about your AudioLink experiences with Rondo 3

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy

good points and sounds like that was quite a learning lesson!

• Members
If you are a happy AudioLink user will you please answer these questions?

I echo the same comments as above.  Instead of happy audiolink user, I would say generally satisfied.

1.  One or two CIs?

Just one - am SSD.

2.  Rondo 3, Sonnet 2 or Sonnet 1?

Tried switching between Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 with Audiolink but gave up on that. Just use the Audiolink with Rondo 3 now and Audiostream on the Sonnet 2.

3.  Do you use AudioLink cabled to the sound source?

Cabled to sound source - either my tablet or laptop.  Tried my AV Receiver but just more of a hassle than it was worth. 

4.  How far away can you be from the AudioLink ?

10-15 feet of clear space but it is very sensitive to obstructions including my body.  Wearing it on my chest using the neckstrap it is not able to maintain stable connections but other times it might be as short as one foot if it is body obstruction. 

5.  Are you experiencing any problems?  If yes, please explain.

Will often carry it around the house with the tablet to maintain connection or pause the audio source when I step away to another room.  My BT headphones maintain so much more reliable connections.

I often position my Audiolink very carefully on the desk or couch to try to maintain connections.  That can help but is still awkward.

The sleep mode timeout on the Audiolink is so fast that I am pressing the big BT button to reconnect and get the green light back frequently.  Often at least a half dozen times a day. 

I've never even bothered to move my Audiolink base station/charging stand to near the TV room. 

----

It was interesting hearing your discussion about Audiolink when it came out. It feels like a device from 10 years ago.  At this point, I would really hope for better. 

Suggestions:

1. Much better robustness of wireless connections (perhaps additional antennas and more power.)
  2. Have an option to check/adjust Audiolink settings from AudioKey2 app on BT connected device phone/tablet.  (Check connections/signal strength(s) for bilateral users, adjust "sleep" setting for Audiolink, clearly adjust microphone mix setting, select audio source/connections.  Some of these are adjustable via the buttons on the Audiolink but the symbology is a little inscrutable and there isn't clear feedback on choices made.)
  3. Be able to do Audiokey2 adjustment while streaming.  I need to pause playback on my tablet, adjust the settings, and then play again.

Hello,

I am ssd with ci sonnet2 and ha.

I have used audio link in the beginning as a speaker. It can be carried around. I can plug into phone with wire and use if need be but audiostream works for bt. I put necklace on and wore it around my neck with cable to phone for a few months and for rehab on my laptop. 

My audi has had it set up with both ha and ci showing both sides working, but i have not used much in that way.

My audiolink is currently cabled to tv and electric source. It does occasionally "disconnect" as lauren stated but i assumed it was the signal interrupt from dish. It connects by itself when i turn tv on.

I can be about 10 feet with no effect on sound but past the 10 ft is not good. I can walk around and be connected, even downstairs underneath it!

Never used artone or anything else, tried  audio2ear once, app is not used.

I wish it worked in a broader area. 

My new phone has no plug for the cable so i havnt used lately for phone connect. It sits permanently cabled to tv. I dont get out much.

I used audiolink religiously in my first year with cables mostly, it was my connection to laptop, tv, phone.

17 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Lauren

I agree with your above comment about @MED-EL Moderator using very similar names for different items and how confusing that can be.  After all, how many different items do we need all starting with the word audio?

audiokey2

audiotoear

audiolink

audiostream

It causes so much confusion for people.

and thanks for your detailed response about your AudioLink experiences with Rondo 3

Hi @Mary Beth, thanks for tagging us. We've forwarded your feedback regards the naming of products to the responsible team here at MED-EL. Kind regards, Barbara 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

1. 2 CIs

2. Sonnet 2s.  Have not yet bothered with the two Rondo 3s.

3. Cabled w/adapter. to iPhone 14 PM & Samsung s10e.  

4. Maybe 2"? lol.  It is 7 year old tech seemingly requiring LoS which makes it useless.  

5.  Static and random frequent disconnects.  Even trying booster addons and such doesn't help.  1:1 had no solutions.

Like mentioned, this is old technology and even when released was still quite behind advancements.  MedEl would be wise to break the functions apart as one device trying to fill all these roles makes it clunky and probably a reason for so many issues from a large part of its users.  I'd like to see MedEl have a separate tv streamer. and separate mic function instead of trying to roll it all into one.  And update the looks from the super bulky 80s plastic model to things more discrete and durable.  It also needs updated connection options for ports to utilize with modern computers, tvs and such.