Sonnet 2 not connecting anymore?

wooly

Been using sonnet 2 for a year now with no problems. However today the bluetooth/connection to phone stopped working randomly. The implant works fine, I can hear, just no connections. It was acting weird for a few minutes where I can connect to bluetooth on my phone, but soon as I start a song, it would disconnect all together immediately. I tried this a few times and quit. Later on I try again and it's not showing up anymore at all. Even in the audiokey app, I can't connect to the implant nor does it show up. 

In short Implant hearing wise is fine, the bluetooth/connection to phone is dead. I've tried turn it on and off multiple times, new batteries and nothing works. 

Any help?

• HearPeers Heroes

@wooly

Try forgetting this device from your phone.  Delete the app and download the app again and start over.  Sometimes phone updates cause these types of problems.  It’s discussed a lot in various CI brand groups and this work around often helps.

• Like 1

Tried that and didn’t work, it’s now connecting and disconnecting repeatedly. Like it’s shorting out or something it seems.

• HearPeers Heroes

@wooly

hmmm….

check the o-ring on the Sonnet processor to see if it is stretched or tore (but it’s probably okay if your processor is working fine)

have you cleaned the battery contacts ? Med-El has a YouTube video showing how to do that

is your AudioStream still under warranty?  If yes, contact Med-El for a replacement under warranty.

• Members

@wooly @Mary Beth

Starting Friday or so of last week I've suddenly had similar problems of my Audiostream not connecting.  Before that, I had gone 2 or 3 months of relatively trouble free Audiostream access. 

I've done some basic troubleshooting (restart phone, try both batteries, recharge batteries again, etc.) but haven't had the chance to try all of Mary Beth's suggestions yet as I've been away at conferences.

I scheduled a Med-El 1:1 for Wednesday to also try to get it working.  Hoping to get it fixed before then though.

Wooly, it would be helpful to give a little more diagnostic information to see if there is a pattern.  For example, what phone and operating system are you using? 

Pixel 6a, Android OS 14.  For the last 2 months, name in list of BT devices was "Tim's Hearing Device" - no longer shows this and is instead back to "Med-El Audiostream" but doesn't connect.  I also seem to be having more problems with static on the Sonnet 2 that arose at the same time as losing Audiostream connectivity.

Without Audiostream working, I've generally been using my Rondo 3 until I have time to do some troubleshooting.

On the troubleshooting checklist, I'm going to try the following in addition to Mary Beth's suggestions:

• Connect Audiostream to a different BT device (Android tablet)
  • Try other battery covers (regular non-Audiostream and big Max sleeve/battery).
  • Confirm that Audiokey 2 is still able to connect and change settings on Sonnet 2. 

• Members

Just a quick followup. 

I followed @Mary Beth's advice.  Deleted the app on my phone and reinstalled it.  Also disconnected coil cables and reattached them.  Problem seems to be solved.  As usual, thanks Mary Beth!

Still odd that it is back to describing it as "MED-EL Audiostream" instead of "Tim's Hearing Device" like it had been before trouble last week.  Perhaps that is something that changed with a minor software support file or Android update that I didn't notice. (Android now has some updates rolled out as app updates through the "Play Store" and perhaps something there changed the Bluetooth/Hearing Device support.)

I have spent an hour or two of streaming since it and it seems to be working as well as normal.  (Was on Android 14 before and after onset of problems, no noticeable update, phone is a Google Pixel 6a.)

Hope @wooly is getting some relief.

• HearPeers Heroes

Glad it is back to working again @Tim

That fix  seems to be the answer for all brands on all phones when things go awry.  It has a surprisingly high success rate.

• Members

@Mary Beth Argh-I spoke too soon about everything working. That or I jinxed it.

Ten minutes after getting off my 1:1 with Med-El that I scheduled to deal with this, my battery died on my Sonnet 2. 

Swapped to a different battery, and now that won't connect.  Using Audiokey 2 to adjust settings on my Sonnet 2 still works.  

Tried taking audiostream & battery off, putting them back on; rebooting phone.  No change.

Seems to suggests battery contacts as a problem so I'll check the video that you mentioned when I get home.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tim

Sonnet/Sonnet2 battery connections are very picky.  The previous BTE processor (OPUS2) had very easy and reliable battery connections.  I hope the next BTE processor returns to that level of ease and reliability with battery connections.

• Members

@Mary Beth Last night I confirmed that my audiostream BT streaming worked with one battery and not the other.  Several swaps to confirm this.

Med-El said to clean the Audiostream's contacts with a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol and let it dry. 

I did it and let it dry overnight while fully charging the batteries.  This morning, neither battery works for BT streaming via Audiostream.  Med-El is sending out a replacement Audiostream under warranty. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tim

So many replacement AudioStream stories.  Sigh.

Med-El does recommend using disposable batteries with AudioStream.  I wonder if using disposable batteries with AudioStream has worked better for users?

The Sonnet/Sonnet2 battery contacts are very particular.  I preferred the easy and reliable OPUS2 battery contacts.  8 years and still using the OPUS2 battery packs, battery covers, etc.

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2023 at 1:25 AM, Mary Beth said:

@Tim

Med-El does recommend using disposable batteries with AudioStream.  I wonder if using disposable batteries with AudioStream has worked better for users?

The Sonnet/Sonnet2 battery contacts are very particular.  I preferred the easy and reliable OPUS2 battery contacts.  8 years and still using the OPUS2 battery packs, battery covers, etc.

On 10/27/2023 at 1:25 AM, Mary Beth said:

@Tim

Hi I am new to this site so here goes. I have a Sonnet 2 had it for 3 years. I use disposable batteries out of choice . I found the rechargeable vary in run time and so I was getting short of power. Now to the problem I have gone over the earlier posts and I am in the same position. Out of the blue my processor stops streaming. I follow the book try to re connect. When that doesn't work I re download SudioKey2 and follow the book. In the past this has eventually re connected the streaming. This time no luck I am the point of desperation. I have replaced the lead and cover I have cleaned the battery terminals. Even checked all the phones in the place as Med Rl say you processor may have streamed to another phone. No luck. The other annoying thing if I want to stream my hearing aid to my phone just pair it always connects first up. I disconnect this as I have very little hearing in that ear. My point was the it's easy to connect a normal hearing, aid and it seems you need a degree in science to keep a Med El Sonnet 2 streaming. Has anyone advice

• HearPeers Heroes

@Shane

We have a number of AudioStream users here so I will tag several of them so they can share their experiences.  I am using the Artone neckloop to stream and have been using various Artone neckloops everyday for over 7 years.  I have a couple of them so one is always charged and ready.

some AudioStream users below

@Ralph34

@Tim 

@Jared Charney 

@Lauren

Can I use a iPhone and audio stream together? Or only andoroid phones 

@Shane 

What phone are you using? I have an iPhone so the process I do to reconnect is for an iOS device.

1- Delete/Forget device from Accessibility and Bluetooth. It’s very important to not skip this step as when I’ve missed it the reconnect does NOT work.

2-In AudioKey2 -> Connectivity Options -> AudioStream -> Configuration, follow screen prompts. If there’s an error that pops up in the process quickly turn the processor off and on before clicking continue. If error message persist, cancel the process, turn processors off and on, and re-start.

Side note for Step 2- if the process fails after clicking to add processor to Bluetooth you’ll have to exit AudioKey2 and forget the processor from Bluetooth again. This has tripped me up so many times.

Other things to check - there was a firmware update to AudioStream about 2 years ago or so. I don’t recall the exact date. Just mentioning it as not everyone was aware of it. If you did that should be good there at least.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe your phone’s Bluetooth gets confused with two different hearing devices. Maybe try deleting the hearing aid so it’s not listed as a connectivity option when streaming. It might help to steer the Bluetooth connectivity to the processor. And if you have multiple devices that the processor is connected to, try turning Bluetooth off. My processors prioritize connection to my phone because I use it the most, so if I’m trying to use a different device I have to turn off my phone’s Bluetooth before I do anything else.

Audiostream has been my only real disappointment with Medel. I went through so many replacements I think 7? but finally my warranty ran out. Now, the latest is not working as well. I liked being able to be on the go with it when it did work (with my iPhone) but I honestly think that 2 years is not nearly a long enough warranty and I feel that Medel should continue to replace it until they find a way for it to be reliable. I am def. hoping that when the next Sonnet / Rondo is released that they will be using built in state of the art technology that it is seamless. So, my 2 cents = I'm back to using my AudioLink and I wish I hadn't spent 300$ on it. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rob Gellner

yes AudioStream works with iPhones 

go to the Med-El website and click on AudioStream.  It lists all phones that it works with there and is updated by Med-El.

https://www.medel.com/en-us/hearing-solutions/accessories/connectivity/audiostream

I hope I am not jinxing myself but I have had good luck with AudioStream on my Sonnet 2 connecting to my iPhone and iPad (alternately but not at the same time). If I want to use my iPad, I switch off the Bluetooth on the phone and it connects instantly to the pad. To go back, some process. I only have one device BlueTooth on at a time. I also use rechargeable batteries all the time.

It works like this most of the time, but every 3 or 4 months I lose connection and have do the Forget and remove battery cover routine over and over and suddenly it works and I cannot figure out why. That fooling around usually takes about an hour. 
I ignore the AudioKey2 if it shows the volume and sensitivity bars. I am guessing but I think AudioKey volume adjustment is using some other Bluetooth that the AudioStream.

The forget and pairing is in the “Settings-Accessibility -MFI Hearing devices “ section of the iPhone or iPad . I don’t think the plain “Bluetooth pairing” section of settings does anything. 

I should mention that my iPhone and IPad are old and I am afraid of switching to new devices. However I’ll get a new phone this week and let you know.

Also, I have only one Sonnet and no hearing  aid to connect to so you folks with multiple AudioStreams devices have my sympathy.

Good luck everyone. I think this is more luck that science.

@Ralph34 AudioStream is only necessary for streaming. If all you want is to use AudioKey2 to change settings for the Sonnet 2, AudioStream not needed. So there is some type of built in Bluetooth for the processor. 

Hi Lauren I use an android phone and use Audio stream to not only adjust my processor but to stream music and movies. My problem is that out of the blue I cannot repair the processor to my phone. I follow the Med El book and 8n the past I managed to get paired this time I have no luck.vits becoming a pain I am looking for help

When I say AudioKey2 is some other type of Bluetooth, I can have my iPhone connected to my Sonnet2 via AudioStream but can still adjust the volume and sensitivity using my iPad  at the same time.
The AudioKey2 is displaying Volume etc on my iPad while Bluetooth Settings all say “not connected” under both standard Bluetooth and MFI Bluetooth hearing devices. 
Of course if I turn off Bluetooth I lose AudioKey2 Volume and Sensitivity so it must be some kind of BT.

AudioKey2 is using some other connection and I cannot figure out what it is.