Help with T Loop problems with Rondo 2

Andy

I’m coming up to my 5th anniversary with my Rondo 2, battery life had been starting to deteriorate and was down to about 13 1/2 to 14 hours and the magnet would sometimes come loose - with the Rondo 2 falling off with the magnet still attached to my head,  when I started experiencing problems with the Artone neckloop and telecoil.

I was having to increase the volume to almost the maximum to get any decent sound through the neckloop to my Rondo 2, with it occasionally getting crackly when watching films through my iPad. I contacted my CI hospital and they sent me a replacement Rondo 2 and Artone neckloop. Unfortunately the sound quality coming through when on Telecoil, just isn’t as good as it used to be. 
I don’t quite understand how or why, if I’ve had a replacement Audio processor and neckloop….? Has anyone else had any problems like this, or can explain why this has happened? I’m assuming it’s external issues, and nothing to do with the cochlear implant (Mi 1200 Synchrony)…….?

thanks in advance 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andy

If the audio issues are only when using telecoil, then the problem seems to be with either the telecoil in the Rondo 2 processor (I once received a replacement OPUS2 processor with a faulty telecoil so I guess that can happen.), the Artone neckloop or the streaming device (phone/tablet).

You can test the Artone out with a different streaming device.

You can test the Rondo 2 telecoil function with a different looped situation if you have that at your disposal.

As far as the Rondo 2 falling off while the magnet is still attached- that seems to happen if the magnet ring is damaged/lost.

Let us know if you figure this out.  I am curious.

Well, the magnet issue is sorted with the new Rondo, but no improvement with T coil & new Artone neckloop.

It’s weird because, when I used to wear it and connect to my work laptop (Windows) I previously had volume at about 20-30 (out of 100), now it’s 90+

similar when using iPad, I’m having to whack the volume up to close to maximum…everything else is fine, actually the new Rondo 2 is louder than last one.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andy

I wonder if the replacement Artone is faulty?  They are loud so typically we use a low volume setting on our devices.

well my first day with new (replacement) Rondo 2, fully charged, and it’s lasted less than 14 hours before the beeps have started…same as the one I’ve just returned to the hospital…

I don’t get it….??

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andy

I am sorry your Rondo 2 replacement only gets 14 hours.  That is low for Rondo 2.

@Joan how long is your Rondo 2 battery life?

@Mary Beth I have had my replacement Rondo2s on for 17+ hours more than once and they were still ok when I took them off. I’ve not experimented with them to see how long the batteries actually last though. I replaced my prior Rondo2s when, after four years, the battery life fell to 12-14 hours (when they were new, the battery life was in excess of 20 hours).

Well, I charged my new Rondo2 last night….and strangely even though it had stopped charging by 6am, it had started charging again after 7am. It hadn’t been moved off the charger pad, so, not sure what happened?

I’ll see how long it lasts today & see how the neckloop goes in a meeting over zoom later, but I have a feeling that I’m going to need a trip to the hospital to find out what’s going on….because putting my CI on at 6am, means I’m out of charge by 7:30pm to 8pm..

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andy

Does the low volume on the Artone neckloop happen both when Rondo 2 is on T setting and when it is on MT setting?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andy

I have several Artone BT neckloops and this is the volume level on my iPhone when listening to an audiobook today.

I wonder what is causing the volume issue for you.

IMG_5058.jpeg

I’ve just checked my MacBook and that is no different, volume level near maximum and it’s just loud enough…same with my work’s Windows laptop.

I’m at a loss, because surely the issue has to be the audio processor and not the implant?

I checked the serial numbers of both old and new Rondo and I’m assuming that the new one isn’t too old (#014444) whereas the original one I had was about #2000.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andy

The short battery life of the replacement makes me wonder a bit about how long it had been in use before refurbishing.  But that would not impact telecoil volume.

Nor would the internal components.  Any internal issue would impact all volume- not just telecoil volume.

I am thinking you got a dud replacement of the Artone.  This would explain the telecoil volume issue.

Ok, I’ve now had chance to use my sisters Artone neckloop (she’s also a Rondo 2 user), hers works fine…but for me, it’s the same as my old neckloop and current one, I have to put the volume to maximum to get any decent level of sound…

so, this definitely rules out the neckloop. Could the issue be the implant?

any thoughts anyone/Medel?

Well, the hospital have sent another Rondo 2, and finally the telecoil issues have been resolved.

so, it seems, 2 duff Rondo 2’s.