From Surgery to Activation, What?

russboltz

One thing I'm not seeing anywhere (here or other online blogs) is what I'm going to be like after tomorrow's surgery and before the activation in a month. A few timelines would be helpful:

- How many days until I don't hurt or feel dizzy?

- How long before I can drive?

- What does it feel like to have the change in my affected ear; will it be about the same as before, corrected (as much and as little as ever) by my HA in my other ear?

- What do the incisions look like? Does hair regrow where the processor attaches?

- Any other information, including why some penguins wear tuxedos, would be welcome.

rusty

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• russboltz

• Adam

• Matt

• Sandy

Top Posters In This Topic

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Russ,

it has been mentioned here somewhere - buried in one of the threads.

Personally I only took paracetamol once in hospital and that was it for the analgesia.

I was a bit wobbly for a day and after that was walking normally - I have a dog so I was out walking a lot.

I rode a motorbike - I didn't ride for a couple of weeks but that was more due to letting the incision heal.

My incision is barely noticeable and I have a shaved head.

I can't comment on the regrowth - see previous response.

Not sure about the penguins but I do know the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Russ,

I had no pain or dizziness.

Could drive after 24 hours.

I became totally deaf with this surgery and although I knew it was happening it was still a shock.

My incision is not noticeable and yes my hair grew back where the processor attaches.

Penguins, I know nothing about.

Good luck with your surgery and let us know how you are doing.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey Russ you probably wont see this until after you wake up but here goes.

I pretty much had my legs back under me after a couple of days. I never had any dizzyness after each surgery.

Pain, i took what they gave me for a couple of days then tylenol.

After a few days went shopping. probavly felt more yuck due to anesthesia than anything else.

I was driving in about a week. the first ear they did, was dead before the surgery duw to a labrynthectomy i had to have a few years before so there was no change. The same with the second ear. I just had so little hearing going in, i did not notice any change.

my surgeon did an AMAZING job. the incision was very small or thin i guess and hardly noticable even a day after surgery. your hair does regrow over the implant area. There are different magnet strengths for all lengths of hair so the coil should not have any trouble staying on.

As far as the Penguins, because they can't dance and it beats working for a living.

Thanks for all the comments. Surgery delayed 4 hours so I had time to read them. They're all helpful, although I had more hope that there would be some further information about the penguins. But no radio; soap.

rusty

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, few days ago there was one news how one penguin got on sand of Australia and it want to go back home - to Antarctic...:)

Hope this will fill the emptiness of penguin box...;)

If everything go fluent there is no reason for getting dizzy, you are a little bit sleepy because of anaesthetics but otherwise this is it.

Pain killers are totally ok and you should not feel pain. Hair is growing fast, scar is remodelling at least 6 months. Than you can say - ok, this is it.

I it allowed to treat it locally but patience is best cure.

Rusty,  my surgeons makes a small incision at the join of your ear and scalp, so it is hidden in the pre-existing fold. the only part that was shaved was a strip about a 1/4" wide so he could drape that area and still give himself a wide area of sterile skin.  all surgeons may have a technique son I can only share from my experience. you should feel good shortly depending on your tolerance for anesthesia. First implant, I felt hungover for 2 days, second surgery different story, I wok up the next morning ready to go.  Stayed in due to the "cone of honor" on my head. you may not want to be seen in public with the cone but hey, the swallows can laugh at you now or later! The external processor is held on by a magnet so you shouldn't have any hair loss.  Penguins wear tuxedos because they have happy feet.  ttfn

• HearPeers Heroes

John you mean you did not want to show off the princess Leiah look?

Stayed in the hospital overnight for some minor reasons. But I ache a bit, head, chest and legs. That'll pass.

r

• HearPeers Heroes

Nice one Russ, when is your activation?

Rusty, pics or it didn't happen. Does your bandage make you look like Princess Leai or the Mummy? Glad to read that you are back home, safe and sound.

• HearPeers Heroes

Better safe than sorry, glad to hear you are home.

Actually, my bandage makes me resemble an elderly, gray-haired Beaker. Activation in 4 weeks. - love to all, rusty

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPMs0LYw0CI0nOnq_VlwB

• HearPeers Heroes

would you rather Beaker or animal?

you may not look like beaker but after activation you might hearing a lot that sounds like him. LOL

• HearPeers Heroes

Actually, my bandage makes me resemble an elderly, gray-haired Beaker. Activation in 4 weeks. - love to all, rusty

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPMs0LYw0CI0nOnq_VlwB

Nice picture of Adam.

• HearPeers Heroes

ok Matt take a look at you profile picture and i think I got ya in the looks catagory

My wife says it's more of a Keith look.....

1239476871.jpg?w=420&h=589

• HearPeers Heroes

Pretty u]sure Beaker didn't do nearly as much acid back in the day.

The hankie might be a great addition to the look though.

• HearPeers Heroes

The three survivors from nuclear disaster would be Keith Richards, Courtney Love and Lemmy from Motorhead.

• HearPeers Heroes

ok Matt take a look at you profile picture and i think I got ya in the looks catagory

But I've got a cute wet nose...........

The bandage basically took itself off last night, which is the 3 days that Dr DJ said to leave it on. No showers, though, until tomorrow. So I no longer resemble Keith.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKtTpKg_ymGD-w0hctLjm

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm digging the penguin theme we have had here recently. Maybe that should be an official rank for posting on the Forum.

Today is Day 4, and while the anesthesia-related chest pain and other minor ancillaries are pretty much gone, I'm still quite tired and have a constant head/ear ache. Since there isn't much post-operative condition reporting here, I'm wondering if I'm unusual or not. No dizziness, but I've had a couple of balance slips. I'm hoping the aching dies down in a few days. But it's in a good cause!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey Russ,

I think you are doing just fine. We have all recovered at different rates and  know it took some folks a couple of weeks before they felt OK. The balance shouldn't be a problem and should resolve pretty soon.

Without probing too much, what was your health like before the surgery and what's your age? I fine even at the young age of 47 I'm not bouncing back from illness and injury like I did 10 years ago - no rude comments Fitzgerald.

Hope you feel better shortly.

Matt -

You're right; everyone recovers differently. But this is about the same kind of recovery as my last "outpatient" surgery 13 years ago for a hernia repair. Some of us recover more slowly to anesthesia, since I knew that the modest earache would abate. For me, it's slower than for some others.

r