Out. Now.

MED-EL Moderator

@Tim agree Tim but unfortunately with the max batteries you can’t stream unless this would be different with the new sonnet 

I have the max batteries and I enjoy them

54 minutes ago, Dave in Pittsburgh said:

@Tim agree Tim but unfortunately with the max batteries you can’t stream unless this would be different with the new sonnet 

I have the max batteries and I enjoy them

S3 has built in ASHA and MFI streaming, Seems like Max batteries make the most sense this time around. Hopefully they come with a 5 years warranty eventually.

I’d like to know more about the AudioLink XT.  It seemed to have the same tech specs as the regular AudioLink and same limitations.  The only difference being maybe the whole TC side.  
- Will it (XT) work with past processors?

- Big one!  Have the ports on it been updated to allow connection to modern TVs instead of forcing folks to get IR adapters and such that rarely worked well.  If not, then this is DoA imo.

- Did the static that’s plagued the regular AudioLink get fixed?

- Has MedEl put some thought into this this time around for connection distance and such?  It’s fairly well known the regular AudioLink was rushed through that even MedEl ‘s own employees were never keen on the device.

Regarding S3…
- While S2 parts will work on S3, will S3 parts work on S2?  Looking at the ear tips specifically.

- It doesn’t seem like MedEl updated their BT protocol and abilities even though it was planned early on.  Why?  

- Will users be able to mute environmental sounds on their own with the built in BT capability?  Forcing folks to make appointments that cost $200-$700 a visit just doesn’t sit well for what needs to be a simple user controlled ability.

- Can we get a side by side comparison of the S2 and S3?  It’d also be swell to see the mic cover for the S3.  

- Is replacing parts more accessible for folks this time?  Did the teeny tiny pin that held the ear tips get updated to not require micro surgery?

That’s mostly my questions about these.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh

The Sonnet 3 does not use the AudioStream battery cover since it has a BTLE receiver built in.  So we can choose to use the larger longer lasting MAX batteries if we wish.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

A question about the AudioLink XT

Has the mixing button been removed and replaced by the telecoil button?

Is there no user control of streaming mix with Sonnet 3 while using the AudioLink XT?  If no, will streamed audio from the AudioLink XT mix at the same ratios our audiologist set for direct streaming from our phone?  If we have a program set to streamed audio only 100/0 mix for direct streaming will that apply to streamed audio from the AudioLink XT as well?

@Hilary Beaumont Brown

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

I noticed on one of the new videos of Sonnet 3 that the mic cover design differs from Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2.  

I love that Med-El changed the Sonnet/Sonnet 2 mic cover design so we no longer need to remove that pin with the updated covers.  So much easier.

Mixing ratios are very important to me and having a way to mix at 50/50 and also at 100/0 (streamed audio only) is vital.  Those two mixing ratios are what I need and I need a way to switch to them at will.  Usually 50/50 is the default automatic mixing ratio so that is always available.  As long as my audiologist can program a 100/0 mix into a program slot (like can be done for Rondo 3 and AudioStream adapter now), I will be happy.  I can use the Sonnet 3 sensor button or the app to move into the 100/0 mix program when desired.  Since I will know about this before receiving the Sonnet 3 it can be done at the original appointment.  It is helpful when all of this is available and known right from the start.  (Especially since my CI center is 5 hours away)

I am beginning to wonder if the AudioLink XT will use the same built in receiver to send audio since it is looking like that mix ratio set by our audiologists may apply to both direct streaming as well as streamed audio from the AudioLink XT.  If this ends up being true, the signal from AudioLink XT will be different than the signal from the original AudioLink and hopefully the range, reliability and quality of the signal will be better like @Lauren mentions.

@Hilary Beaumont Brown

• Like 2

@Mary Beth  yep I remember now wasn’t thinking. This will be a very interesting Coffee ️ Chat tomorrow 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Tim for your spreadsheets and great analytics! Very useful 😁 

We got the Sonnets 2 for our daughter a year ago. So she will probably not get an upgrade for another 5 years, when the successor to Sonnet 3 will probably be released.
However, I am keeping a close eye on developments at MED-EL. I hope that the technology will continue to develop well and that MED-EL will be able to perform well in the competition.

I am pleased that the Sonnet 3 has taken quite some steps in the right direction:
- It is smaller and lighter
- It is waterproof IP68
- Streaming has been integrated, so there is no need for large battery sleeves
- I can well imagine that the flexible earhook is comfortable to wear
- The earhook seems to have become a little wider (I've seen a few adults whose previous Sonnets were a little crooked behind the ear).

However, I am also a little disappointed:
- No better rechargeable batteries available
- Waterwear is still required for swimming
- Looks like no Bluetooth Low Energy Audio / no Auracast has been implemented

What is still not clear to me:
- How will parents be warned when the zinc-air batteries are empty (the LED on the processor seems to have have been removed)?
- Does the new AudioKey 3 app offer better features for carergivers (e.g. indication of whether the processor and implant are connected under a cap)?

All in all we are very happy how our daughter performs with her implants and are glad that we went with MEDL-EL.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bastian

It is always very good to read concerns of parents!  Thank you for sharing and I wish your daughter the best!

20 hours ago, Tim said:

Very interesting and looking forward to talking about it with people.

Here is a quick first draft (still have stuff to add) comparing the Sonnet 2 and Sonnet 3.

image.png.84c4de83b9db722cf9e50de448994a65.png

Thanks for posting this. When I read the announcement and saw that it said the design was smaller I was excited till I realized they only meant smaller than if you use the Audiostream. I don't use that so honestly this is pretty disappointing. Also disappointing is the fact that the battery life isn't any better for rechargables. I almost never use those anymore because having to change my battery multiple times a day is very inconvenient if I'm working. I am glad I waited for an upgrade since Sonnet 2 didn't really offer much and I am glad for direct streaming - though if you want bimodal you have to have a very specific set up depending on your phone and HA, but seriously, I thought they would have done better or at least tried to match their competitors.

They still haven't added a way to control volume on the processor but thank goodness you can now at least change programs. I hate being tied to any external device since volume changes can happen very suddenly (commercials are louder than regular programs for example) and having no way to immediately adjust is frustrating. I wear headphones most of the time so I can adjust volume easily there but if I use my Roger Pen I can't.

If I had been lucky enough to get really great sound quality with the MedEl I could overlook all these things but as it stands I can't listen to music anymore, I still have echo and vibration almost all the time except with headphones and the only reason I hear low frequencies, despite having the mid length array, is because I still have a tiny bit of residual low tone hearing in my HA ear. When I don't have my HA on my speech recognition drops significantly. 

I am thankful that I have as much hearing as I do but it really didn't live up to the hype.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

maybe a new topic for AudioLink XT would be helpful?

is there a way on the AudioLink XT to choose MT and T?  Or is this done through the app?

When it says that AudioLink XT works with hearing aids using ASHA, does that mean that people with 1 CI and 1 HA could stream to BOTH the CI and HA through the AudioLink XT from any phone (iPhone or android) or tablet that the AudioStream XT is paired to?

@Bill C

@John F

IMG_7945.jpeg

• Members
1 hour ago, Enigmachick said:

When I read the announcement and saw that it said the design was smaller I was excited till I realized they only meant smaller than if you use the Audiostream.

Just a few clarifications:

• Sonnet 3 is on average about 8% shorter in length and 12% lighter compared to the Sonnet 2 at the same battery size for all 3 batteries with their sleeves. 
  • The Sonnet 3 is a lot smaller when you compare the Sonnet 2 with Audiostream to the Sonnet 3 with a standard battery.  (18% shorter and more importantly 20% lighter).
  • Also, the Sonnet 3 with Max battery is smaller and includes the BT capability that is not even an option with the Sonnet 2 Max battery since the Audiostream cover does not fit a Max battery.

I think weight is probably the most important metric for "size" and that is clearly improved. The relative importance of the other dimensions (height, width, thickness) probably differ in priority for different users.  (Small kids, people with small/large ears, people wearing eyeglasses, etc.)

Here is my current comparison chart with comments.

image.thumb.png.06f6633a621fe821d54423117d614d12.png

Please let me know if there are any corrections or clarifications. 

It has been nice that @Moderators have been helpful on answering questions. We are still waiting to hear about more details for the Sonnet 3 (S3). 

For example:

• Many of us are anxiously waiting to hear about whether it supports LE Audio (LC3 and AuraCast) as @John Schulz asked about in another thread.
  • Will Audiokey3 give any significant control to users (ex. changing microphone?) as discussed earlier in the thread?
  • How robust/stable will Sonnet 3 BT connections and Audiolink XT BT connections be in real life?  (We won't really get an understanding of this until actual users discuss their experiences.)
  • Will the decrease in input dynamic range have any significant impact?  (Probably not but that might be a deep technical discussion for later.)

• Members

@Mary Beth Glad to hear about the ASHA support for the Audiolink.  Perhaps Audiolink XT discussions would make sense in the  Audiolink forum rather than creating a separate forum for the XT given the low traffic in the Audiolink forum.  

Comparing specs and pictures side by side might be helpful for people too. 

image.thumb.png.6487255a68ecccef8734975540ed5c93.png

It shows that the two devices really appear similar on the outside and in their specs.  For example

• height,
  • width,
  • weight,
  • IP rating (only  IP52)
  • "Operates to a Range of 3m" - Unfortunately this seems to suggest that the BT connection strength may not be improved.
  • same description of the battery type

In terms of differences:

• the XT lists telecoil which would likely be helpful for both Rondo 3 and Sonnet 3 users.
  • oddly, it does not list "hand free calling" like the original does.  Perhaps just a minor editing issue, presumably the XT also does hands free calling as the picture appears to have the same microphone arrangement.
  • XT adds the FM adapter accessory.
  • Minor differences in terms of button icons/symbols.

I'm hoping that the internals are significantly improved in terms of durability as there were many discussions of premature Audiolink failure. 

I think that Med-El employees using BT headphones or ear buds at work should use it through the Audiolink XT. 

46 minutes ago, Tim said:

@Mary Beth Glad to hear about the ASHA support for the Audiolink.  Perhaps Audiolink XT discussions would make sense in the  Audiolink forum rather than creating a separate forum for the XT given the low traffic in the Audiolink forum.  

Comparing specs and pictures side by side might be helpful for people too. 

image.thumb.png.6487255a68ecccef8734975540ed5c93.png

It shows that the two devices really appear similar on the outside and in their specs.  For example

• height,
  • width,
  • weight,
  • IP rating (only  IP52)
  • "Operates to a Range of 3m" - Unfortunately this seems to suggest that the BT connection strength may not be improved.
  • same description of the battery type

In terms of differences:

• the XT lists telecoil which would likely be helpful for both Rondo 3 and Sonnet 3 users.
  • oddly, it does not list "hand free calling" like the original does.  Perhaps just a minor editing issue, presumably the XT also does hands free calling as the picture appears to have the same microphone arrangement.
  • XT adds the FM adapter accessory.
  • Minor differences in terms of button icons/symbols.

I'm hoping that the internals are significantly improved in terms of durability as there were many discussions of premature Audiolink failure. 

I think that Med-El employees using BT headphones or ear buds at work should use it through the Audiolink XT. 

I sure hope they changed the Bluetooth device class to headphones instead of hands free to greatly improve the audio quality of non phone call media...

1 hour ago, Tim said:

Just a few clarifications:

• Sonnet 3 is on average about 8% shorter in length and 12% lighter compared to the Sonnet 2 at the same battery size for all 3 batteries with their sleeves. 
  • The Sonnet 3 is a lot smaller when you compare the Sonnet 2 with Audiostream to the Sonnet 3 with a standard battery.  (18% shorter and more importantly 20% lighter).
  • Also, the Sonnet 3 with Max battery is smaller and includes the BT capability that is not even an option with the Sonnet 2 Max battery since the Audiostream cover does not fit a Max battery.

I think weight is probably the most important metric for "size" and that is clearly improved. The relative importance of the other dimensions (height, width, thickness) probably differ in priority for different users.  (Small kids, people with small/large ears, people wearing eyeglasses, etc.)

Here is my current comparison chart with comments.

image.thumb.png.06f6633a621fe821d54423117d614d12.png

Please let me know if there are any corrections or clarifications. 

It has been nice that @Moderators have been helpful on answering questions. We are still waiting to hear about more details for the Sonnet 3 (S3). 

For example:

• Many of us are anxiously waiting to hear about whether it supports LE Audio (LC3 and AuraCast) as @John Schulz asked about in another thread.
  • Will Audiokey3 give any significant control to users (ex. changing microphone?) as discussed earlier in the thread?
  • How robust/stable will Sonnet 3 BT connections and Audiolink XT BT connections be in real life?  (We won't really get an understanding of this until actual users discuss their experiences.)
  • Will the decrease in input dynamic range have any significant impact?  (Probably not but that might be a deep technical discussion for later.)

@Tim Thank you for that clarification. I jumped the gun when I looked at the first three rows of specs you posted and misinterpreted "all battery options" since those lines represent larger numbers for the Sonnet 3 in each instance. The MedEl announcement page only mentioned the reduced size comparison to the audiostream which didn't give me any idea about what that meant for a standard battery cover size or the base body size.

If I'm interpreting the Technical Data page for each correctly, the width and thickness of the Sonnet 3 are larger than the Sonnet 2 but the battery sleeve sizes are smaller.

I've attached a visual of the specs for the various battery size measurementsSonnetcompare.thumb.jpg.1a9a7fff66fc10c54c3cd57310acf611.jpg

@Tim @John Schulz

Hopefully the XT obsoletes the Audio2Ear app.

And I’m hoping by integrating telecoil into the XT means no more dreaded ticking sound as no adapter needs to be plugged directly into the processor like the also hopefully obsoleted R3 telecoil adapter. Maybe having the XT as the bridge device was the needed solution all this time. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Which options are considered to be direct audio input on Sonnet 3?

Are direct audio input options limited to:

when a FM battery cover with 3 prong euro jack for receiver attachment or DAI cable is attached?

when Roger 21 integrated battery cover receiver is in use?

anything else considered direct audio input for Sonnet 3?

It seems like in Maestro 11 with Sonnet 3 our audiologists will have three separate items they can control.

1) direct audio input boost

2) telephone call specific ambient sounds mixing (which will include our own voices I believe)

3) all other streamed audio and DAI by dampening the processor mic (can the processor mic be muted completely so a 100/0 mix streamed audio only sound is achieved?)

IMG_7948.png

10 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

When it says that AudioLink XT works with hearing aids using ASHA, does that mean that people with 1 CI and 1 HA could stream to BOTH the CI and HA through the AudioLink XT from any phone (iPhone or android) or tablet that the AudioStream XT is paired to?

Gosh it would be nice if the XT works like this.   A wireless bridge - I don’t think it will but we’ll see.  Would be useful to have until everyone gets their acts together and supports LE and auracast Bluetooth tech.   

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

My Audi replied to say she expects to see it available here "by the end of the year." 

Now for more impatiently waiting!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie Wonderful!  You will beat me to it!  Med-El US posted it is expected early 2025 here.

• Like 3

Not sure if I saw it, will the audiolink XT work with sonnet 2/rondo 3?  if so, it solves some issues and hopefully has better reception.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Deanne

yes as long as the Sonnet/Sonnet2 has AudioStream or the Rondo 3 has the AudioStream adapter

AudioLink XT communicates to the built in receiver of the Sonnet 3.

But communicates to Sonnet/Sonnet2/Rondo3 through their AudioStream option.

IMG_7945.jpeg

On 9/20/2024 at 3:45 PM, Buzz Dee said:

I was really looking forward to this announcement for years, but now that it is there I am quite disappointed.

It still doesn't look like the new Sonnet offers a good streaming solution for bimodal users with an iOS device, even if it is nice to have AudioStream built into the processor unit. But in addition to that it seems like it will support neither Auracast nor telecoil without the use of additional devices. To me, that feels like one step forward and two steps back. :( I still hope I misunderstood those parts of the announcement.

Hi @Buzz Dee, thanks for your post. Yes, for bimodal streaming to an iOS device and connection via telecoil you need to use AudioLink XT.  We've shared your feedback with the responsible teams here at MED-EL so it can assist for future developments.

Kind regards, Barbara