Out. Now.

MED-EL Moderator

On 9/20/2024 at 4:16 PM, Jewel said:

@MED-EL Moderator

How long is the battery expected to last if you do Bluetooth streaming? Also, how long should the battery last if there is no streaming? I'm sure Med-El ran tests on this.

Curious as to how it would be for both rechargeable and disposable batteries.

Hi @Jewel thanks for your question! We can't provide exact numbers because the battery life while streaming can vary based on individual conditions, such as the thickness of the skin flap. In general, when using SONNET 3  with disposable batteries, the battery life time is up to 60 hours, and up to 17 hours when using the Rechargeable Battery Max. Please head over to our website for more:  MED-EL SONNET 3 Cochlear Implant Audio Processor (medel.com)

Kind regards, Barbara 

On 9/20/2024 at 9:15 PM, Lauren said:

@MED-EL Moderator I'm also interested in finding out more about the AudioLink XT as soon as possible. 

I’m hoping for better range and a more stable connection. 

Hi @Lauren, on our website you'll find more details about AudioLink XT: AudioLink XT: Connect Your MED-EL Cochlear Implant (medel.com)

Kind regards, Barbara 

On 9/20/2024 at 1:57 PM, John Schulz said:

@MED-EL Moderator Will the firmware be able to support LE Audio down the line?

Hi @John Schulz, thanks for your question. We can't discuss features or products that are in development here in the forum. But we are always working to provide the best hearing solutions for our recipients and we are aware that LE audio is wish for many users.  

Kind regards, Barbara 

On 9/20/2024 at 1:29 PM, Mary Beth said:

It looks great!!!!  Thank you @MED-EL Moderatorfor built in direct streaming and for a way to get mixing ratios.  

Are the mixing ratios for Sonnet 3 similar to Rondo 3 in that our audiologists set them in programs and we can get 100/0 streamed audio only if we desire that?

Is it still possible to set an omni mic direction for a program if desired?

I love that the telecoil is in the AudioLink XT (especially for Rondo 3 users).  Does that mean that Sonnet 3 does not have a built in telecoil?

Are there any pictures of the AudioLink XT FM adapter?  Really awesome feature for children using Roger Systems in school.

I can’t wait for Sonnet 3 and AudioLink XT to be available in the US.  

Thank you Med-El for listening to our wishes.

Hi @Mary Beth, we've checked with our product experts. 

Yes, mixing ratios can be flexibly set by the audiologist for each program, and a pure 100% streamed audio is possible. We are also working on providing recipients with the ability to adjust the mixing ratio temporarily via an app.

Kind regards, Barbara 

On 9/21/2024 at 2:36 PM, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

A question about the AudioLink XT

Has the mixing button been removed and replaced by the telecoil button?

Is there no user control of streaming mix with Sonnet 3 while using the AudioLink XT?  If no, will streamed audio from the AudioLink XT mix at the same ratios our audiologist set for direct streaming from our phone?  If we have a program set to streamed audio only 100/0 mix for direct streaming will that apply to streamed audio from the AudioLink XT as well?

@Hilary Beaumont Brown

Hi @Mary Beth as you can see on our website (AudioLink XT: Connect Your MED-EL Cochlear Implant (medel.com)the mix button is still there - it has been moved up. 

Kind regards,
Barbara 

Hi @Mary Beth and @Tim - thanks for your input. We've renamed the "AudioLink" forum to "AudioLink and AudioLink XT" so you can put any questions about the MED-EL connectivity devices there: AudioLink and AudioLink XT - Hearpeers Forum

Kind regards, Barbara 

Can anyone confirm that the new AudioLink XT is compatible with the Rondo 3?  On the Sonnet/Rondo comparison chart, it lists only the AudioLink for the Rondo 3.

@MED-EL Moderator after reflecting a bit further over the weekend I wanted to ask a few specific questions:

1) Given the updated waterproof rating, will the Sonnet 3 still require use of a dryer like the Sonnet 2 (I know the Rondo 3 does not need the dryer with the same Ip68 rating as the new Sonnet 3)

2) Will the new battery charger, audiolink XT and other accessories, finally be changing to USB-C? The continued use of the obsolete micro USB tech can be annoying when everything else, including apple iPhone, have moved over to USB C. Using this old tech means carrying a lot of extra cords. If the answer is no, is this something that could still be updated in the future (before the next device comes out in 5 years...)

3) Can you clarify what Bluetooth version will be used by the Sonnet 3? I would hope it is the latest Bluetooth 5.4 but if you could confirm the version I think that would be helpful to a lot of folks who want to understand compatibility (present and future)

4) The diagrams show that the Sonnet 3 is thicker than the sonnet 2 at the top and bottom. Can you confirm if it just thicker at these widest points, or is it thicker throughout? Has this thickness impacted wearability for those who tested it? 

5) Related to the above question, would you also be able to share the width of the new batter covers (aka with width of the Sonnet 3 at its base with the cover on)? The advertising says they are smaller and talk about height, but it doesn't mention width. If there were version of the diagrams that superimposed the sonnet 2 and 3 together so we can see the differences (much like you did with the different battery covers), that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help in answering these questions!

On 9/20/2024 at 9:30 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Kylie Are you as excited as I am to upgrade to Sonnet 3?  Wonder who will offer it first- Australia or the US?  Maybe we will upgrade at the same time.

The Sonnet 3 showed up as approved on the Therapeutic Goods Australia site yesterday but not in the Australian Medel Webshop yet. I expect it won’t be far away. 

https://www.tga.gov.au/resources/artg/462625

• Like 3

I'm due to see my audiologist late October, and there is a better than even chance he'll have my Sonnet 3 ready for "field trials" so should have some real world experience for people in a month or so

On 9/21/2024 at 8:57 PM, Lauren said:

@Tim @John Schulz

Hopefully the XT obsoletes the Audio2Ear app.

And I’m hoping by integrating telecoil into the XT means no more dreaded ticking sound as no adapter needs to be plugged directly into the processor like the also hopefully obsoleted R3 telecoil adapter. Maybe having the XT as the bridge device was the needed solution all this time. 

@Lauren, Audio2Ear app is not needed for the AudioLink XT. 

Kind Regards

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Yay!!!!  I love that the AudioLink XT uses a different protocol than the original AudioLink!  

thank you @MED-EL Moderator!

21 hours ago, Roseanne said:

Can anyone confirm that the new AudioLink XT is compatible with the Rondo 3?  On the Sonnet/Rondo comparison chart, it lists only the AudioLink for the Rondo 3.

@Roseanne, AudioLink XT works with SONNET 3, other SONNET series processors with AudioStream, RONDO 3 with the AudioStream Adapter, as well as other ASHA-compatible devices like hearing aids. You can learn more here: https://www.medel.com/hearing-solutions/accessories/connectivity/audiolink-xt

Kind Regards

On 9/20/2024 at 5:19 PM, Mary Beth said:

Thank you Barbara @MED-EL Moderator

I will be able to keep using my decals! At least those on the coil.

Will using decals on the Sonnet 3 control unit negatively impact direct streaming?

Hi @Mary Beth , no decals / stickers on the control unit will not affect the wireless streaming. 

Kind regards, Barbara 

On 9/21/2024 at 1:41 PM, John F said:

I’d like to know more about the AudioLink XT.  It seemed to have the same tech specs as the regular AudioLink and same limitations.  The only difference being maybe the whole TC side.  
- Will it (XT) work with past processors?

- Big one!  Have the ports on it been updated to allow connection to modern TVs instead of forcing folks to get IR adapters and such that rarely worked well.  If not, then this is DoA imo.

- Did the static that’s plagued the regular AudioLink get fixed?

- Has MedEl put some thought into this this time around for connection distance and such?  It’s fairly well known the regular AudioLink was rushed through that even MedEl ‘s own employees were never keen on the device.

Regarding S3…
- While S2 parts will work on S3, will S3 parts work on S2?  Looking at the ear tips specifically.

- It doesn’t seem like MedEl updated their BT protocol and abilities even though it was planned early on.  Why?  

- Will users be able to mute environmental sounds on their own with the built in BT capability?  Forcing folks to make appointments that cost $200-$700 a visit just doesn’t sit well for what needs to be a simple user controlled ability.

- Can we get a side by side comparison of the S2 and S3?  It’d also be swell to see the mic cover for the S3.  

- Is replacing parts more accessible for folks this time?  Did the teeny tiny pin that held the ear tips get updated to not require micro surgery?

That’s mostly my questions about these.  

Hi @John F

thanks for your questions.

1)      Yes, you can use AudioLink XT with SONNET / SONNET 2 + AudioStream, and with RONDO 3 + AudioStream Adapter.

2)      AudioLink XT comes with a stereo cable with a 3.5 mm audio jack and RCA connectors. If your TV does not have RCA output sockets, use commercially available DAC RCA adapters.

3)      Yes, AudioLink XT is using the ASAH protocol which provides better audio streaming quality.

4)      The new AudioLink XT might look similar, however it comes with some new features: it has an integrated telecoil and you can connect to FM systems via an FM adapter. Remote mircrophone and TV streamer functionality are still available. AudioLink XT is using the ASHA protocol so it can stream to the SONNET 3 and the ASHA supported hearing aids at the same time for bimodal streaming and has 10 x increased battery life compared to AudioLink. The range of AudioLink XT is min. 3 meters, however it can be a lot more in the practical usage scenarios.

5)      Some of the parts (e.g. batteries, battery pack covers, coils,…) are compatible for SONNET 3 and SONNET 3. The new flexible earhook is only compatible with SONNET 3.

6)      SONNET 3 is using Bluetooth LE and has integrated direct streaming. Therefore, in contrast to SONNET 2 no AudioStream adapter is necessary e.g. to connect to your phone. Additionally it comes to the user preconfigured so the user do not need to configure it via the AudioKey 3 app.

7)      Yes, environmental sounds can be muted with the SONNET 3. And we are working on making this available for the user via an app.

8 )     Sure – please go to our website to compare the SONNET 2 and SONNET 3 features: https://www.medel.com/hearing-solutions/cochlear-implants/audio-processor-comparison

9)      The earhook is - as with SONNET 2 - secured with a pin. When changing the earhook, you need to remove the pin first. We've updated the microphone cover which is designed to make the exchange for our recipients easier and quicker.

On our website you can find further information about AudioLink XT and SONNET 3:
MED-EL SONNET 3 Cochlear Implant Audio Processor (medel.com)
AudioLink XT: Connect Your MED-EL Cochlear Implant (medel.com)

Kind regards, Barbara 

On 9/21/2024 at 8:57 PM, Lauren said:

@Tim @John Schulz

Hopefully the XT obsoletes the Audio2Ear app.

And I’m hoping by integrating telecoil into the XT means no more dreaded ticking sound as no adapter needs to be plugged directly into the processor like the also hopefully obsoleted R3 telecoil adapter. Maybe having the XT as the bridge device was the needed solution all this time. 

Hi @Lauren, thanks for your post. Yes, Audio2Ear is not needed when you use AudioLink XT. If you want to connect SONNET 3 with a telecoil system, you don't need to put an adapter on the audio processor, you can connect via AudioLink XT.

Kind regards, Barbara 

On 9/21/2024 at 4:55 PM, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

maybe a new topic for AudioLink XT would be helpful?

is there a way on the AudioLink XT to choose MT and T?  Or is this done through the app?

When it says that AudioLink XT works with hearing aids using ASHA, does that mean that people with 1 CI and 1 HA could stream to BOTH the CI and HA through the AudioLink XT from any phone (iPhone or android) or tablet that the AudioStream XT is paired to?

@Bill C

@John F

IMG_7945.jpeg

Hi @Mary Beth, yes you can switch between the two modes on AudioLink XT via the buttons. 

Kind regards, Barbara

• Like 2

On 9/21/2024 at 5:55 PM, Tim said:

Just a few clarifications:

• Sonnet 3 is on average about 8% shorter in length and 12% lighter compared to the Sonnet 2 at the same battery size for all 3 batteries with their sleeves. 
  • The Sonnet 3 is a lot smaller when you compare the Sonnet 2 with Audiostream to the Sonnet 3 with a standard battery.  (18% shorter and more importantly 20% lighter).
  • Also, the Sonnet 3 with Max battery is smaller and includes the BT capability that is not even an option with the Sonnet 2 Max battery since the Audiostream cover does not fit a Max battery.

I think weight is probably the most important metric for "size" and that is clearly improved. The relative importance of the other dimensions (height, width, thickness) probably differ in priority for different users.  (Small kids, people with small/large ears, people wearing eyeglasses, etc.)

Here is my current comparison chart with comments.

image.thumb.png.06f6633a621fe821d54423117d614d12.png

Please let me know if there are any corrections or clarifications. 

It has been nice that @Moderators have been helpful on answering questions. We are still waiting to hear about more details for the Sonnet 3 (S3). 

For example:

• Many of us are anxiously waiting to hear about whether it supports LE Audio (LC3 and AuraCast) as @John Schulz asked about in another thread.
  • Will Audiokey3 give any significant control to users (ex. changing microphone?) as discussed earlier in the thread?
  • How robust/stable will Sonnet 3 BT connections and Audiolink XT BT connections be in real life?  (We won't really get an understanding of this until actual users discuss their experiences.)
  • Will the decrease in input dynamic range have any significant impact?  (Probably not but that might be a deep technical discussion for later.)

Hi @Tim, thanks for your questions.

We can't discuss features or products that are in development here in the forum. But we are always working to provide the best hearing solutions for our recipients and we are aware that LE audio is wish for many users and we will support Auracast once the technology is spread. 

We are also working on making it available for the users to choose between exclusive streaming or mixed streaming with the ambient sound through the AudioKey app.

Furthermore, during the extensive testing phase, the BT connection was to be very stable - and we are looking forward for your / our recipients feedback in the future. 

Kind regards, 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bastian

I thought of you when I saw one of the Sonnet 3 videos.  The light on the processor has moved but is still there.  It is under the hook it seems.  Just wanted to let you know there is still a light on the processor.  If I come across that video again, I’ll post a link.

On 9/23/2024 at 1:43 PM, Ely said:

@MED-EL Moderator after reflecting a bit further over the weekend I wanted to ask a few specific questions:

1) Given the updated waterproof rating, will the Sonnet 3 still require use of a dryer like the Sonnet 2 (I know the Rondo 3 does not need the dryer with the same Ip68 rating as the new Sonnet 3)

2) Will the new battery charger, audiolink XT and other accessories, finally be changing to USB-C? The continued use of the obsolete micro USB tech can be annoying when everything else, including apple iPhone, have moved over to USB C. Using this old tech means carrying a lot of extra cords. If the answer is no, is this something that could still be updated in the future (before the next device comes out in 5 years...)

3) Can you clarify what Bluetooth version will be used by the Sonnet 3? I would hope it is the latest Bluetooth 5.4 but if you could confirm the version I think that would be helpful to a lot of folks who want to understand compatibility (present and future)

4) The diagrams show that the Sonnet 3 is thicker than the sonnet 2 at the top and bottom. Can you confirm if it just thicker at these widest points, or is it thicker throughout? Has this thickness impacted wearability for those who tested it? 

5) Related to the above question, would you also be able to share the width of the new batter covers (aka with width of the Sonnet 3 at its base with the cover on)? The advertising says they are smaller and talk about height, but it doesn't mention width. If there were version of the diagrams that superimposed the sonnet 2 and 3 together so we can see the differences (much like you did with the different battery covers), that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help in answering these questions!

@MED-EL Moderator and @MED-EL Moderator Barbara , I just wanted to follow up on the above questions. Thank you again in advance for your help with answering these questions!

On 9/24/2024 at 8:51 AM, MED-EL Moderator said:

Hi @John F

thanks for your questions.

1)      Yes, you can use AudioLink XT with SONNET / SONNET 2 + AudioStream, and with RONDO 3 + AudioStream Adapter.

2)      AudioLink XT comes with a stereo cable with a 3.5 mm audio jack and RCA connectors. If your TV does not have RCA output sockets, use commercially available DAC RCA adapters.

3)      Yes, AudioLink XT is using the ASAH protocol which provides better audio streaming quality.

4)      The new AudioLink XT might look similar, however it comes with some new features: it has an integrated telecoil and you can connect to FM systems via an FM adapter. Remote mircrophone and TV streamer functionality are still available. AudioLink XT is using the ASHA protocol so it can stream to the SONNET 3 and the ASHA supported hearing aids at the same time for bimodal streaming and has 10 x increased battery life compared to AudioLink. The range of AudioLink XT is min. 3 meters, however it can be a lot more in the practical usage scenarios.

5)      Some of the parts (e.g. batteries, battery pack covers, coils,…) are compatible for SONNET 3 and SONNET 3. The new flexible earhook is only compatible with SONNET 3.

6)      SONNET 3 is using Bluetooth LE and has integrated direct streaming. Therefore, in contrast to SONNET 2 no AudioStream adapter is necessary e.g. to connect to your phone. Additionally it comes to the user preconfigured so the user do not need to configure it via the AudioKey 3 app.

7)      Yes, environmental sounds can be muted with the SONNET 3. And we are working on making this available for the user via an app.

8 )     Sure – please go to our website to compare the SONNET 2 and SONNET 3 features: https://www.medel.com/hearing-solutions/cochlear-implants/audio-processor-comparison

9)      The earhook is - as with SONNET 2 - secured with a pin. When changing the earhook, you need to remove the pin first. We've updated the microphone cover which is designed to make the exchange for our recipients easier and quicker.

On our website you can find further information about AudioLink XT and SONNET 3:
MED-EL SONNET 3 Cochlear Implant Audio Processor (medel.com)
AudioLink XT: Connect Your MED-EL Cochlear Implant (medel.com)

Kind regards, Barbara 

@Mary BethNo need to reply me back. I just read this and it helps!

Thank you!

questions

1. Whats the streaming distance from phone to medel 3 processor?

2. Do things like wind or electromagnetic environment interefere with the quality of the stream

3. What's the streaming distance from the Audiolink XT to processsor? 

**** DRUM ROLL ****

For those of you all hanging on the edge of your seats wanting to know what Bluetooth verison the new Sonnet 3 is running, I can tell you its been qualified at v5.2

Now, what does that mean for LE Audio compatibility?  Will that mean it will be Auracast future proof?

Short answer: not really possible to say.

Long answer: 5.2 provides the foundation for LE Audio and Auracast, but the hardware Med-El are using needs to be able to support this.  From what I can see from the datasheet, this SoC isn't exactly overwhelmed with flash, so I wouldn't expect the Bluetooth stack to be upgradable "over the air", but I know the Rondo has a plug in option for loading new maps, so potentially the whole Bluetooth stack and firmware for the Sonnet 3 could be updated in a similar way

The Cochlear Nucleus 8 is promoted as "LE Audio ready", with the caveat:

"^When the technology becomes available for the Cochlear Nucleus 8 Sound Processor, a firmware update to your sound processor will allow you to connect to Bluetooth LE Audio compatible devices."

From what I can tell, the Nucleus 8 is running the 5.3 stack.

On 9/28/2024 at 3:10 PM, kingleviathan said:

questions

1. Whats the streaming distance from phone to medel 3 processor?

2. Do things like wind or electromagnetic environment interefere with the quality of the stream

3. What's the streaming distance from the Audiolink XT to processsor? 

@kingleviathan thank you for your questions: 

1.  Please keep in mind that the range is dependent on the line of sight from the processor to the source and if the area is clear or if there is an obstacle. Considering obstacles and technical factors (such as battery supply, etc.), the range is approximately 10-30m. 
  2. The 2.4 GHz wireless functionality may be affected by electromagnetic interference from other close electronic and electrical equipment even if this equipment complies with all applicable electromagnetic emission requirements. If such interference is experienced (e.g., drop-outs or audible noise), move away from this electronic and electrical equipment.
  3. The minimum range for AudioLink XT is approximately 3 meters; however, tests have shown that it can be more in some situations. 

Kind Regards