Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

So I got a US sim for this trip and I decided to try out Innocaption. Lo and behold when I was registering it asked me for my SSD which apparently is a requirement of the FCC. 

So I wasn't able to register! So unfair! I was really hoping to try it out on this trip! 

• HearPeers Heroes

For other people, visiting the US.....

you can register and use InnoCaption while visiting the US.  Reach out to InnoCaption for help with registration.

@Jewel, I sent you the info in a private message.

• 6 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

So I bought a US sim but I am not allowed to download Innocaption as it states that that app is not available in my country. See screenshot. 

Innocaption does not show up in my Google Play Store. When I go to the Innocaption website and try to access the download option from there I got the message in the screenshot. 

Oh well ?

Screenshot_20180816-205313_Google Play Store.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

There is a way to use InnoCaption while in the US per the info we received from InnoCaption.  It will probably be faster for you to message InnoCaption directly and let them help you set it up.  They respond to messages very quickly.  If you still have the message I sent you, you can copy it and paste it in your exchange.  Good luck.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I have it. But the last time when I was in the US I was able to download the app. This time it doesn't allow me to. I will check with them directly. 

Hi ladies. What does Innocaptions do?? Is it like Hamilton Captel? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@sassychele02 it's an app that gives you access to live captioning of the sort you get on those phones that the government pays for.

• HearPeers Heroes

@sassychele02

(Great photo by the way!)

InnoCaption is a free US service that uses live stenographers to caption the incoming part of cell phone calls.  A fellow Med-El bilateral CI user is the CEO.  Great guy.

check out their website for info

https://www.innocaption.com/

(Since it is funded through taxes, it is a US service.)

@Mary Beth @Jewel. I downloaded the InnoCaptions. Love it. I still have residual hearing but unfortunately the only level i had prior to CI is in high pitch so everyday sounds are non existent until after activation. My family and I communicate by text or Marco Polo visual app plus basic sign language and note pads. I don't venture out much.. still waiting to get my meningitis vaccine

• HearPeers Heroes

@sassychele02

Meningitis vaccine? Would that be the Prevnar 13?

Well I'm the opposite of you. I only hear low tones. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I emailed the Innocaption contact you gave me last week. Haven't heard from her. Hopefully I get a response this week. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

You can always reach out to InnoCaptio; through their FB message app

@Mary Beth Marco Polo is a video messaging app where instead of text my mom will tell me good morning by a video message and I can reply back to her. It's sorta like FaceTime or similar to snap chat ir instant messenger but for adults in people with hearing impairmebts that rely on lip reading instead of sign language. My husband used it to notify family and friends by videoing my meeting with surgeon so the family that couldn't be their saw everything going on. It's an awesome and free app. 

5 hours ago, Jewel said:

@sassychele02

Meningitis vaccine? Would that be the Prevnar 13?

Well I'm the opposite of you. I only hear low tones. 

@Jewel I have no idea. Could be Prevnar 13. They just gave me prescription to give to my primary care Dr to have 1 month after my surgery. I'm supposed to to have 2 doses at different intervals as a meningitis precaution. My husband called my surgeon office today and he said I am cleared to get it this week. How many shots do you need to get? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel and @sassychele02 - you should get two different pneumococcal meningitis vaccines.  One's Prevnar 13, and the other's Pneumovar or something like that.  As you noted, they area spaced out, and between them should cover you for meningitis.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

According to the CDC, we only need one more shot at age 65 as long as it has been 5 years or more since the previous shot.

• HearPeers Heroes

My surgeon told to renew the vaccines every 7-10 years. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Both the Prevnar 13 and Pneumovax 23? I should ask my surgeon on Wednesday.