Skinits!

Kara of Canada

Trying to find somewhere to get a Sonnet 2 Skin made any ideas? SkinIt now longer have Med-EL that I could find

There are Sonnet skins on hearoes.co.uk or multiple sellers on Etsy (on Etsy I generally search for "cochlear implant skin" and check if the seller offers Sonnet version, that's giving better yields than searching for Sonnet directly).

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

I agree with @Enegra.  I recently ordered skins from both.

But if you are looking for the option to upload your own image and turn it into a skin, like skinit used to let us do, I have  seen that on deindesign

https://www.deindesign.co.uk/en/shop/designfoils/foils-for-other-devices/med-el-sonnet-package

22 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

But if you are looking for the option to upload your own image and turn it into a skin, like skinit used to let us do, I have  seen that on deindesign

https://www.deindesign.co.uk/en/shop/designfoils/foils-for-other-devices/med-el-sonnet-package

There's one small problem with deindesign skins, I have ordered those in the past (and actually the picture I uploaded recently is their skin) and it's a fancy unilateral Sonnet 1 package. Doesn't cover two processors with standard battery, there's just 1 standard, 1 micro, 1 FM cover. I had to get really creative with scissors and cutting out to make the set cover two processors. Ordering two of the same feels wasteful as I have no use for the skin for the remote. The Sonnet 2 remote is completely different and mine is actually forgotten somewhere in my flat. I never use it, as AudioKey is really a lot more convenient for me (Sonnet 2 connects directly to it). It's a shame about this con, because I really liked the feel of the matte paper they order. It looks and feels so clean. Perhaps Med-El could work with them to introduce an actual Sonnet 2 package for bilateral users? I know that circa 2015 bilateral wasn't as common in Europe as now, but nowadays most European countries are offering that even for adults. So the sticker needs are different now. The room saved on the remote could be for extra battery covers, as there are 2 main processor body skins already in the Sonnet 1 package.

I've heard that sometimes Hearoes does custom skins. Could be worth getting in touch with them about that. It's a small business by parents of CI kids and they are pretty flexible about the orders. I know someone who both got a custom pattern made and an order altered to cover 8 batteries (other brands don't have separate battery casing).

• HearPeers Heroes

@Enegra

great information!  Thank you.

Before reading this I tried to design a custom skin on deindesign and it was awkward to position the pic over various coil covers without stretching the image and distorting it.  Great that hearoes may do custom designs.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Check out @Enegra’s comment above.  Can your team work with deindesign to improve the skin option so it works with covering one side of 2 bilateral Sonnets and 2 battery covers and 2 coils?  Most other skin vendors already offer an option for one skin design to cover bilateral Sonnets.

Thanks @Enegra and @Mary Beth

Microphone placement on the sonnet 1 differs from the 2 so it must be a sonnet 2 template.
i absolutely want to upload my own design 😁

5 minutes ago, John R said:

Microphone placement on the sonnet 1 differs from the 2 so it must be a sonnet 2 template.

I don't think the microphone placement is different. At least the microphone covers are shared between those two processors. The newer microphone cover has an extra hole, but it doesn't matter much, and depending on the skin, it may not even cover that spot.

18 minutes ago, Enegra said:

The newer microphone cover has an extra hole,

Will investigate :) thanks..
My design was definitely effected by the hole placement..  

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

Med-El redesigned the mic cover for Sonnet 1 and it is also used by Sonnet 2 to avoid the need to remove the ear hook and pin which was required in the original Sonnet 1 mic cover design because many users were finding that process too complicated and some ended up cracking the actual processor by forgetting to remove the pin first.

Now both Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2 use the new mic cover design that has that hole/opening we use to lever off the mic cover without needing to remove the ear hook and pin.

I have been playing around with my new decals combined with matching colored mic covers so I can avoid that issue.  It’s a work in progress.

3 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

Check out @Enegra’s comment above.  Can your team work with deindesign to improve the skin option so it works with covering one side of 2 bilateral Sonnets and 2 battery covers and 2 coils?  Most other skin vendors already offer an option for one skin design to cover bilateral Sonnets.

Hi @Mary Beth and @Enegra thanks for tagging us and your feedback on the skins. We will forward it to the responsible team here at MED-EL that coordinates the cooperation with deindesign. 

Kind regards,

Barbara

• Like 2