Free month of audiobooks

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Many of us use audiobooks for aural rehab.  In the beginning months, we match the audiobook with the printed text.  Later on we may listen to audiobooks without any printed text.

For some of us, listening to audiobooks continues to be a fun activity even after our aural rehab period is over.

I fell in love with audiobooks and have been listening to audiobooks ever since activation almost 3 years ago.  But it gets quite expensive.

Some audiobooks are available for download from our public library, but that is a limited selection.  Some audiobooks are available on CD from our public library, but I prefer to stream from my phone to a Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.

Today I learned about Scribd.  It is like a Netflix monthly subscription for unlimited ebooks and audiobooks.  It costs $9/month.  The first month trial is free.

Just sharing in case others are interested too.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info also. I’ve been reading audiobooks since a few weeks after the implant was activated. I am lucky however, as my local library has a pretty extensive list of audiobooks and I haven’t come close to exhausting the list. As well, new books are being added all the time. Everything is done online so the only time I have been to the library itself was the day I joined. 

Sometimes I’m even lucky enough to secure the audiobook as well as the ebook which gives me the ability to simply use my tablet (along with the Artone neck loop).

For the titles I can only get the audiobook, I then use Kobo or Kindle to buy the ebook if I don’t want the bother of reading the print book.

I never thought I would prefer ebooks over print books but that’s the case. Sure surprised me!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I use audiobooks all the time. I use an app on my iPad and iPhone called Axis360 which connects to my library. Because I have a library card, ALL the books I checkout online, either Print or Audio are FREE, yes FREE.

There is another app Ive heard of that accesses other libraries. I think its called OverDrive.

Then there is aid service like Audible. Its an Amazon company now but for a subscription you can get new released books in audio and simultaneously read along. You end up paying twice, once for the audio format and once for the text version. Audible.com offers a really well designed format that allows you to look up a word the books author uses - the Free service from Axis360 does not have that feature for print books. So I have to use a Dictionary app to lookup and learn words I am unfamiliar with.

Its is nice in that you can stop anywhere in reading and pick up right where you left off without the need for a bookmark, even though the bookmark feature is available in all the services and apps I mentioned.

The audio and read along feature is a terrific way to do ongoing audio rehabilitation techniques.

I like to listen in the car when driving long distances.

• Like 2

My library lets me use Overdrive or a new app called Libby. So I tend to run the audiobook via Overdrive and the ebook via Libby. (When I’m lucky enough to get both at the same time).

• HearPeers Heroes

Our library uses Overdrive.  It just does not have many of the titles on my list at the moment in audiobook format.  I commute quite a bit for work everyday and enjoy listening to audiobooks while driving.  The $9/month subscription fee for unlimited audiobooks is a great fit for me right now.  I can download the audiobooks or stream them.  I’m glad several of you enjoy audiobooks too and it’s terrific that your libarary systems have the audiobooks you want.  Free is great!

• HearPeers Heroes

Audiobooks is a great way to keep up to date with your listening skills and audio rehabilitation too.

• HearPeers Heroes

I am listening to my 4th book this month!  It is awesome!  I download the audiobooks so I can listen without using data or WiFi.

• 1 year later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 2/9/2018 at 9:22 PM, Mary Beth said:

Many of us use audiobooks for aural rehab.  In the beginning months, we match the audiobook with the printed text.  Later on we may listen to audiobooks without any printed text.

For some of us, listening to audiobooks continues to be a fun activity even after our aural rehab period is over.

I fell in love with audiobooks and have been listening to audiobooks ever since activation almost 3 years ago.  But it gets quite expensive.

Some audiobooks are available for download from our public library, but that is a limited selection.  Some audiobooks are available on CD from our public library, but I prefer to stream from my phone to a Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.

Today I learned about Scribd.  It is like a Netflix monthly subscription for unlimited ebooks and audiobooks.  It costs $9/month.  The first month trial is free.

Just sharing in case others are interested too.

@lizjlong

scribd free trial may help you too.  You can download the audiobook on one device and the ebook on another and follow along.

• 4 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Joan

Is a new Scribd with Artone neckloop fan!  So much fun!

@Mary Beth Scribd is great! Love listening while taking long morning walks...and while doing such mundane tasks as laundry and ironing and the like. A great way to take my mind to other places while actually getting something done at the same time.😊