Second cochlear implant

pudge4moke

@Mary Bethmy surgeon placed this implant as high up as she could with how my anatomy is ..it’s actually where the other one was originally ..I said well if this one migrates at least they will be symmetrical:) I hope it stays where it is ..I do have the Nucleus 7 as my second processor..the only time I wear that is when I go bike riding and wear a helmet ..really I was going to go with Med El Rondo last year and then the kanso came out right before my surgery which was smaller and that’s why I did choose that ..if I was a musician I’d definitely had gone with Med el..and now I See the Rondo 2 is smaller/thinner..oh well I’m hearing really well with what I have ..

Jane

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jane

No judgements here.  All brands are welcome.

I am glad things are going well for you and am excited about your bilateral activation next week!

The external processors and accessories change all the time for all brands.  I look forward to what will be available to us in the future.  CI tech is changing all the time.

I received my second implant in March 2018 and I am so glad I did . Going bilateral is a big improvement and if you are eligible for getting the Roger Pen that’s even better.

I no longer have to use close caption on the TV can see the whole picture. My hearing is probably as good as now as was when I was young.

Audio rehab will play a big part ,

Keep us posted and good luck

Dave in Pittsburgh 

• Like 2

@Dave in Pittsburghwow  sounds like you’re doing so well ! I still need the captions on the TV so it’ll be interesting to see if I eventually won’t need them !

i really like audio rehab ..I saw a speech therapist for it after my first surgery and am planning to go back to her after activation..i am a Physical therapist and I big fan of therapy ?

Jane

I can see how you would like audio rehab,it was a real chore for me,it brought back memories of school days and homework ?but I was a real trooper and did it not once but twice and it did pay off.

Will you be be getting the Roger Pen?

Ok  I am MEDEL user and we have the Roger as I am not familiar with the mini mic ,I am able to see the Roger in fromtvot TV and it goes directly to the CIci can now do away with closed caption,I can see the whole tv screen. If you don’t mind me asking what part of the U,S. Do you live I am in Pittsburgh Pa

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh

The mini mic is made by Resound and works with Cochlear brand CIs using a proprietary 2.4 connectivity.  It is a fixed gain mic, unlike Roger (make by Phonak), which adjusts volume depending on surrounding noise levels.

Med-El is designing its own proprietary 2.4 connectivity device for use with Sonnets called AudioLink.  Some people in Europe have vouchers for it.  Med-El has not released it yet anywhere to my knowledge.  I look forward to its release.

• Like 1

@Dave in PittsburghI live inNorfolk Va..I use the TV link to watch TV which streams to the CI..I think being bilateral I may eventually not need captions but that’s ok if I still do..I’m so used to them now

@Mary Bethinteresting about the Roger pen ..maybe Cochlear needs to work in something like this :)I did use the Roger pen with my phonak Hearing aides ..I don’t recall that it adjusted the volume but my hearing was so bad at that time I was struggling with my HAs to function 

Jane

Good Morning Jane,

Been by Norfolk when we went to Willamsbug,Virginia 

Do you have the Roger Pen

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jane

Roger System does work with Cochlear.  We use it at school with students.  However if all is going well for you presently, no need to change.  Smile.

@Dave in Pittsburgh@Mary BethRoger works with Cochlear! I didn’t know that ..that’s ok I actually gave it as well as my phonak Hearing aides to a friend of mine who had them reprogrammed to use ! Sure saved him money and since I was going to donate them anyhow it was nice to see someone be able to use them !

on another note I can’t find the topic of activation but I was activated this afternoon and all went REALLY well ?

i was able to hear speech after initially hearing beeps and whistles..I think because this was my better dominant ear (I wore cros Hearing aides) and knowing what to expect my brain was able to concentrate and hear speech ..it is very robotic but I know that improves and immediately it was great to have sounds in both ears ?

its exciting again to be wowed but what you can hear ?and appreciate the little things you can hear ..

I am very grateful 

Jane

• HearPeers Heroes

I have a friend with Advanced Bionics and she has a Roger pen too, but did not receive it with her processor - she's in New Brunswick and just got the processor.  But her employer bought it for her, which I think is pretty cool.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Excited to say insurance approved second CI for the left side after a peer to peer review with provider.    Right side implanted Jan 2017.  I am ready to further

this journey to help my family and myself in this hearing world.

• Like 2

Yes, I believe so.  The surgery date is tentatively Jan 4 but will clarify everything tomorrow.

I was just excited to share the news.  THANKS so much.

• HearPeers Heroes

January 4th will be here soon and then your bilateral journey will begin!  Bilateral is sooo awesome!

@pudge4moke

That is great you will be hearing in stero and you will be hearing sounds like you never heard for long time.

Kep us posted 

I got my second implant March of 2018 best decision I ever made,hardest part was doing word rehab again but it’s worth it.