MED-EL Meetup

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

Today I went to the Med-El meetup in Minneapolis.  Virgi and a guy called Scott gave people help with their Roger pens, and showed them the Roger Select (I felt all smug because I already have one, but remained almost entirely un-obnoxious and didn't say anything).  Scott gave a presentation on traveling with CIs that was mostly common sense but some good info about the devices and the scanners and whatnot used in security.  This is, of course, much more important to the folks who don't hang out on Hear Peers - I didn't hear anything that I didn't already know.

But it was cool to meet other CI users.  There was a cute little bilateral two year old boy called Leo there with his parents, and a couple of people who were just in the process of getting CIs.

All in all, a nice meeting.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I’m glad you met a few Med-El users.  I like meeting Med-El users too.

Have you played around any more with your nifty Roger Select?

• HearPeers Heroes
12 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

I’m glad you met a few Med-El users.  I like meeting Med-El users too.

Have you played around any more with your nifty Roger Select?

Not yet, @Mary Beth - the second CI is still sounding pretty rough, I'm focusing on rehab right now.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - it's still there, but less prominent when I'm hearing through both CIs.  The sound from both is far better than either of them sound alone.  I have a mapping appointment on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and my audiologist said we can adjust the maps on both sides then.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, I'm pretty optimistic, my audiologist and I discussed it and if we can't adjust it out she'll bring in someone from MED-EL.

By the way, at the meet-up yesterday Scott, the guy who presented, had a nice polo shirt with the Hear Peers logo on it.  I was envious.  ?  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

In the US, people who are part of the Patient Support Team (PSTs) are now called HearPeers.  Those shirts are their uniform.

Med-El uses the term HearPeers in several ways.  

I saw a Swedish HearPeer post where people from that forum met up and they were all wearing a neon green HearPeers shirt.  (I think it was posted on the Med-El Sweden FB page perhaps.)

If we ever organize our own HearPeers meet up event, we should design a shirt too!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth that would be cool.  Scott's was gray with the Hear Peers logo in neon green.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes that gray polo shirt with neon green HearPeers is the uniform PSTs now wear when attending Med-El events.  I have seen several PSTs in those shirts.  

@Mary Featherston

The  big question is....  where could we hold a meetup event that would be convenient to our active HP members?  We are sooo geographically spread out.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth yes, it would be really difficult - people's schedules, lack of vacation time, and the expense of traveling a long way.  It would be fun though!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

It would be easier to attach it onto another event.  A conference people are attending or a workshop by Med-El etc.

• Like 1

Hey Mary Beth and Mary I like crhexthexT shirt idea maybe come next spring,summer we could have a mini meet up

Mary Beth I think you are in NY

Mary Featherstone I forget where you are

Kara from Canada

Me Pittsburgh 

Megan L NY

would anyone be interested I think this I think this pretty well cover our group of people

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh

Mary Beth, Megan and Kara aren't too far apart.  Pittsburgh's a little farther away.  I'm in Minneapolis, which is, what, about 1400 miles?  So kind of hard for some of us (though for sheer distance I can't compete with Jewel or Daniel).