Three months post activation

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

So as I'm just at three months post activation for my second CI we did some testing yesterday.  Results:

Prior to implantation, with two hearing aids:          19% comprehension

Three months after right side implanted:               89% with CI only
                                                                          92% with CI and HA

Three months after left side implanted:                 87% with right CI only
(Yesterday!)                                                       84% with left CI only
                                                                        93% with both CIs

So I lost a little ground on the right because I've been focusing primarily on the left, newer, CI.  But overall I'm really happy!

• HearPeers Heroes

Looks great @Mary Featherston

Going from 89% to 87% is within test/retest ranges.  I would not consider it a loss.

It is always interesting to see how we test in a sound booth and to compare it to our own previous test results.

How are you feeling about how you hear in your daily life?  Do you feel your ears are balanced?  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - mostly balanced, yes.  Interestingly, while I was doing the testing I felt like the newer CI was sounding more dominant, but only slightly so.  That may make sense, as that was the ear with more hearing prior to implantation - the auditory nerve got more stimulation.

This is something that I was talking to my audiologist about - I'm not satisfied with where I am right now, but it's not because I'm not hearing considerably better than before I was implanted.  It's because I keep moving my own goalposts.  This is okay, I think - pushing my limits is good.  But I need to remember the progress too.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I think setting new goals helped me develop my listening skills with my CIs.  When I achieved a goal, I celebrated it and documented it in my CI journal and set a new goal.  I repeated this process countless times.  Smile.  And still am doing that in a way with musical pitch.

We will never know how wonderfully we can hear with our CIs, if we don’t keep setting higher and higher goals.  😊 

The fast paced WOW moments slow down.  However we still experience WOW moments.  I am still entering WOW moments in my CI journal almost 4 years later.

Sometimes I read the journal from my first entry.  WOW these CIs are so life changing!

I am glad you are doing so well and that you are not satisfied and willing to set higher goals and work to achieve them.  It is the roadmap to awesome listening with our CIs.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

You're doing extremely well @Mary Featherston. Very impressive! Did you get tested with just the Sonnet or with the Rondo2 as well? 

I get tested next week. I have been wearing the Rondo2 a lot but I guess I better switch back to the Sonnet over the weekend since I bet I will be tested with that.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Mary Beth!  It only makes sense to me - I had two surgeries and someone spent a LOT of money on this (actually, we're self-insured, so it was my employer, thank you 3M!) - it would be silly not to get as much out of them as I can.

• HearPeers Heroes
4 minutes ago, Jewel said:

You're doing extremely well @Mary Featherston. Very impressive! Did you get tested with just the Sonnet or with the Rondo2 as well? 

I get tested next week. I have been wearing the Rondo2 a lot but I guess I better switch back to the Sonnet over the weekend since I bet I will be tested with that.

You know, @Jewel, I didn't even think about that - Sonnets only.  I'm pretty sure the results would be similar, though.  I'm really impressed with the Rondo2's sound quality and I don't see a ton of difference between them.  HEAR the difference, I should say!  🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I have three kinds of processors and when I go for testing my audiologist is fine with whichever processors I have on at the time for testing.  If I show up with OPUS 2, we test with OPUS 2.  If I show up with Rondo, we test with Rondo.  If I show up with Sonnet, we test with Sonnet.

Maybe your audiologist will be fine with you testing with Rondo 2.

• HearPeers Heroes

Idk but I have gone back to wearing the Sonnet only since last weekend. I would like to compare apples with apples so I want to be tested with the Sonnet. I do hear better with the Rondo2 though. I think I need the volume turned up on my Sonnet.