POLL: What is the longest number of years you (or your child) have used the same type of processor?

Mary Beth

Poll: What is the longest number of years you (or your child) have used the same type of processor?   

2 members have voted

1. 1. What is the longest number of years you (or your child) have used the same type of processor?

• Under 5 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
    • 8 years
    • 9 years
    • 10 years
    • 11 years
    • 12 years
    • More than 12 years

• HearPeers Heroes

Which kind of processor was it?

What determines when you upgrade?

• HearPeers Heroes

I am still under 5 years since being implanted and have OPUS 2, Rondo 1 and Sonnet 1 processors.

My timing for upgrading will be determined by my insurance approval.  My OPUS 2 processors are becoming obsoleted by Med-El so after their warranty expires, Med-El will no longer repair them.  

My wish to try new processors also impacts my upgrade timing.  There is a part of me that wishes to try all Med-El processors.  Smile.  I know that will not be possible.  Having to choose one processor at my upgrade time will be difficult.  I appreciate everyone who shares their experiences (likes and dislikes) about new processors on HearPeers.  I am learning about the new processors from reading your posts.  Thank you.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm not even a year into this!  But yes, my upgrade will be driven by insurance, though if there was a new processor that's a dramatic improvement I could actually picture paying for them.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I noticed on Med-El’s US website that sometimes they offer a discount for self-pay when you trade in a processor.  It is still expensive to self pay but there have been targeted discounts for specific trade ins.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - yes, someone told me that once.  While I can imagine the potential for being that motivated, it would have to be a really significant improvement.  Due to being at a two-processor clinic AND falling in the PlusRondo promotion I have six processors.  Anything new that I'd pay for myself would have to be almost miraculous.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Although I would love to try out every single processor Med-El releases, that just is not going to happen.  There will always be processors that I never experience.  I plan on learning from others and then making the best choice I can each time I am able to upgrade.  I think Med-El will have amazing things in store for us.  Tech is changing so rapidly.  It is a good time to be deaf.  Smile.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Since I'm selfpay I will wait for the Sonnet 3. And maybe I could trade in another processor and get the Rondo 3 too! Lol! 

Needless to say I am gonna have to start saving towards my new processors soon. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel  I hope your Sonnet 1 processors and Rondo 2 processor last a good long time for you!  I have a friend who used the same type of processor for 10 years before upgrading.

• HearPeers Heroes

5 years seems to have been popular but some insurance plans are extending that longer now