Activated 03/06/2019

C T lex

Hi everyone,

I am happy to say I was activated yesterday as I sit here streaming The Flamingos and actually hear the lyrics and melody well.  Admittedly I have trouble making out the lyrics, but I'm good with the melody.  Yesterday,  Mariah Carey's beautiful rendition of Oh Holy Night was rather poor but today it was much better.  The rate of change  over just hours is amazing.

After activation my audi and the Med-El rep introduced me to what came with the Rondo 2 processor while I"m listening only with the implant.  I was just happy to hear sounds and these guys are talking to me already! 

It has been a tough waiting period.  I Had trouble with spitting up blood (for three weeks) and tinnitus of my heart beat (which was maddening).  But now that's all done and I'm good.  I am old guy so needed a little good news and yesterday I got. it. 

I did lose most of my residual hearing so I chose Rondo 2.  Many on this forum have mentioned how loud the volume is on the Rondo2 and it is true.  I am hearing the TV at much lower volume than with my hearing aids.  These first four mappings are testing different volume levels (all seem loud to me).  On TV the quality of the dialogue is such I'm not understanding much of it.  But, hey, it's a little better than it was yesterday.   For some reason music comes through more accurately than TV audio?  

Thanks to all who post here. Your comments about your experiences and devices have been very helpful,  especially in choosing Rondo 2 (special shout out to @Mary Beth@Jewel  @Cara Mia )

C T Lex

• HearPeers Heroes

@C T lex

WOW sounds like you are off to a terrific start!  I was still hearing marimba and beeps at that point in my journey!  Keep us posted!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey @C T lex

Glad that you're enjoying your Rondo 2! It's still early days. Looking to hearing about your wow moments. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes
On 3/7/2019 at 5:57 PM, C T lex said:

Hi everyone,

I am happy to say I was activated yesterday as I sit here streaming The Flamingos and actually hear the lyrics and melody well.  Admittedly I have trouble making out the lyrics, but I'm good with the melody.  Yesterday,  Mariah Carey's beautiful rendition of Oh Holy Night was rather poor but today it was much better.  The rate of change  over just hours is amazing.

After activation my audi and the Med-El rep introduced me to what came with the Rondo 2 processor while I"m listening only with the implant.  I was just happy to hear sounds and these guys are talking to me already! 

It has been a tough waiting period.  I Had trouble with spitting up blood (for three weeks) and tinnitus of my heart beat (which was maddening).  But now that's all done and I'm good.  I am old guy so needed a little good news and yesterday I got. it. 

I did lose most of my residual hearing so I chose Rondo 2.  Many on this forum have mentioned how loud the volume is on the Rondo2 and it is true.  I am hearing the TV at much lower volume than with my hearing aids.  These first four mappings are testing different volume levels (all seem loud to me).  On TV the quality of the dialogue is such I'm not understanding much of it.  But, hey, it's a little better than it was yesterday.   For some reason music comes through more accurately than TV audio?  

Thanks to all who post here. Your comments about your experiences and devices have been very helpful,  especially in choosing Rondo 2 (special shout out to @Mary Beth@Jewel  @Cara Mia )

C T Lex

I find it absolutely amazing how the brain adapts to a CI !😀

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank goodness for the plasticity of our brains!