Sonnet 2 with ASM 3

Mary Beth

Wow, this sounds exciting. Wonder if that means no sonnet 2 until the trials are done?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Percy

The Sonnet 1 was rolled out in different countries, different ways. Many countries had access to ASM 2 right away on the Sonnet 1.  The US did not.  In the US Sonnets were released Spring 2015 WITHOUT ASM 2 active.  ASM 2 was not released here until Spring 2017.  Two entire years later.

So we will see how the Sonnet 2 and ASM 3 are rolled out.

I will wait until all features active in other countries are released in the US before I upgrade.  I see no benefit of using up years of its warranty while I am still waiting for its cool features to be released.

Hopefully Med-El will release the Sonnet 2 with ASM 3 active in the US.

I look forward to learning all about it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Must be fluent in German for this study!  I would love to participate but I don’t speak any German.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

Must be fluent in German for this study!  I would love to participate but I don’t speak any German.

I can order beer and pizza in German, but I don't suppose that's enough.

Thanks for sharing. Very exciting news. I wonder if trials like this one already took place in other locations. Does anybody know what improvements/ developments could ASM3 add  over ASM2's?

• 2 months later...

Per the clinic study link: 

features noise reduction, transient reduction and an automatic scene classifier were added

We won't really know what it'll have until it's released, which may be a while since the clinic study ends in June 2020.

• 1 month later...

Curious to know whether ASM 3.0 is a software update option to Sonnet 1.  Wonder if it would help reduce background noise of my office's soundmasking/white noise system.

• HearPeers Heroes

@ShannonB

I don’t believe ASM 3 will work with Sonnet 1 because Med-El mentions a new chipset in Sonnet 2 that can run the adaptive features in ASM 3.

Have you tried using a program in adaptive mic setting at work to see if it dampens those sounds for you?  I also notice that Sonnet 1 picks up too much steady state noise compared to OPUS 2/Rondo.

Another possibility is to adjust your sensitivity lower to see if it knocks out some of that noise.

The ambient noise cancellation in ASM 3 interests me as well.  I look forward to reading users’ experiences with ASM 3.

I spend my entire work day in adaptive and worked with my Audi on this program to help reduce the background noise.  There is a difference from Natural.  A surprise with having a CI is that I can now hear through the sound masking system and more aware of what is going on in my surroundings, a door open/close and the coffee machine beep whereas with a hearing aid, I did not.

• HearPeers Heroes

@ShannonB

Sounds like you have tweaked your work MAP to suit you.  It is nice to hear through the noise but it will be nicer to have the noise dampened more.  Smile.

I remember years ago when I got a new Widex hearing aid that was awesome at dampening steady state noises.  Powered on the lawn mower, heard it loudly for a few seconds and then it dampened.  Loved that aid.  Went walking in the woods on a trail with friends all in a line behind each other.  Heard the birds clearly.  Then someone would speak and the birds dampened and the speech was featured.  Speech stopped, birds returned.  It was awesome at handling noise.  

How long have you used your CI?  

I am approaching 3 years so it will be another several years before an upgrade.

• HearPeers Heroes

@ShannonB  I have been implanted 4+ years.  Time flies.