WOW!

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

I work, as I think I've mentioned, for a large company.  People often transfer from one site to another, and I was looking at the company intranet job listings a couple of weeks ago and noticed on that I'm qualified for at a location about 35 miles west of my house.  I applied for the job, figuring, oh what the heck.  Yesterday I had a preliminary interview on the phone.

I've only really started hearing even half way well on the phone since getting my second implant, and I was really pleased at how well I could hear.  Well enough that I'll be going out to Hutchinson for an in-person interview in a couple of weeks!  That's a real WOW for me - the phone has been a major source of frustration for me for years.  🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

Excellent progress @Mary Featherston!

So this new location is closer than your current workplace? Wishing you all the best! CIs really are life changing for the better! 

• Like 2

@Mary Featherston. All of your good work and positive outlook has paid off. Congrats 🎊🎈 

Good Luck on the interview I am so glad I don’t have to play that game any more 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
36 minutes ago, Jewel said:

Excellent progress @Mary Featherston!

So this new location is closer than your current workplace? Wishing you all the best! CIs really are life changing for the better! 

Um, no.  It's farther from home, BUT - we are looking to move when I retire (in about 5 years or so) and if I get the job in Hutch we'll move earlier.  In fact possibly this year.  Tomorrow we're going to look at a house that's in the same town as the plant where I'm applying.  Well, it's just outside of town - isolated and on a lake.  The property actually includes a small island in the lake.  So we'll see.  It would be serendipitous if we bought the house and I get the job.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, that house is out of consideration.  It's got a beautiful lot - 26 acres and lakeshore.  But the house, nope nope nope.  It's structurally okay, but everything inside is the cheapest crap they could get.  The kitchen doesn't even have an oven, just a stove top.  We'd have to completely remodel the kitchen, living room and maybe knock a wall down between two small bedrooms to make one big room.  Nyet.  We're not taking that on now.

It's a pity, the lake is absolutely gorgeous.  But no.

@Mary Featherston I totally understand what you are saying however my wife would die for a house like that she is into rehabs,and no neither one of us are handy we to have it done.Two years ago we went on vacation and put hardwood floors down in living room ,kitchen and dineing room and had a wall taken down and of course everything had to be repainted we were to be on vacation for 2 weeks but they  need another week,so since we are retired we stayed in Florida for another week

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh my husband would want to do it all - he's a perfectionist and it would take about fifteen years, and about halfway into that I'd be in a Holiday Inn.  Nope.  🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

I had my interview yesterday.  Spent an hour walking around the plant with the hiring manager - this is a noisy plant, it's where they make all the Scotch tape and masking tape (among other things).  But I could hear Bob throughout!  I put my CIs on adaptive and turned down sensitivity a bit and it worked really well.  After that we had another hour in a conference room with Bob and two other guys and that went really well too.  AND we went to lunch at a noisy restaurant and I even heard them then.

I won't find out whether I got the job till a week from Monday, but the interview already made me really happy from the standpoint of my CIs' performance.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Update:  got the job!  I spoke to the hiring manager yesterday and he offered on the phone.  Tomorrow I'll accept it officially and talk to my current manager.  He already knows, of course - you can't apply intracompany without telling your manager.  So we'll start talking about transition and what to do with my current responsibilities.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

That is absolutely awesome @Mary Featherston. Congratulations. So happy for you!

Guess you will have to continue with house hunting. Exciting times ahead! 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Jewel!  Our current house needs some work before we sell it - my husband has been working on some interior remodeling for a while and isn't done yet.  But we can take our time.  It will be fun!