Stresses of all this technology

Jdashiell

• HearPeers Heroes

Last Friday my wife and I went out to eat dinner with her parents

Nothing out of the normal, I brought spare rechargeable batteries, a Roger Select, and my FineTuner, just like I always do.

I use the FineTuner to adjust DOWN the Sensitivity settings 5 clicks, and the Volume Down 2 clicks. This always helps me hear better at the restaurant table.

I bring the Roger Select to use in case I need additional listing help.

As I leave the restaurant I use the Reset 🔄 on my FineTuner to UNDO the setting I made at the table.

Now we made it home with all my goodies after stopping to get my new suit tailored in the Dressing room

All was peachy keen at this point - however as I went to bed, I had a horrible night interrupted sleep several time throughout the wee hours, stomach upset, feverish, many toilet trips.

Next morning continued and was quite lethargic 😟. Netflix therapy.

Somewhere along the past several hours, I lost my FineTuner.
Now it has a label on the back to call me if found. 

Next morning Im on the mend, I must've ate something bad at the restaurant.

As Im getting dressed my FineTuner is AWOL - I searched every where.

My wife helped out too searching other everywheres. So I am extremely stressed out at this point wondering if this loss is covered by Warranty? Luckily I have a spare backup FineTuner.

Today I went back to the store where I was Friday evening to check the dressing room and uptown Lost and found - Alas no record of it.

So Im thinking if someone did find it, SURELY they would have called me, Surely.

So I go back home to look any where I might have missed, After all I did look everywhere. 

So I decided I needed to look under the recliner and sure enough The FineTuner was there!!!

I did check every nook and cranny, moved seat cushions etc..... but not underneath the damn chair!

A lot of stress for nothing 

The moral of my story is that we use a lot of technology in our hearing journey  with CIs, and rely on it working and being there ALL THE TIME.

And as such need to make certain we follow routines. Do not set your wallet and keys down to go get your sunglasses before walking out the door, You'll end up searching everywhere for you wallet and keys!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jdashiell

We do use a lot of expensive tech every day!  I am happy you located it.

It is covered under the one time loss coverage (in the US for 5 years) I believe but glad you don’t have to find out.

• HearPeers Heroes

I requested my last patient kit list and my warranty list for all my kits.

i will see what I get

• HearPeers Heroes

I have typed up a list of all serial numbers and warranty dates too.  It is helpful to have all of that info in one place.

• 1 month later...

Glad you found your precious @Jdashiell

I sometimes go over this scenario in my head where i'm stuck on wrong program for eternity.   What a mess.   Good idea adding contact info on our precious parts - I shall do the same. 

• 1 month later...

How do you get the serial number.  What I see of the serial number is so small I can't read it even with a magnify glass,  and how do you keep the common parts separate from each other.  For example how do you keep the battery covers separate from each other.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Marv

Those serial numbers are tiny!  Here is what I do.....

I use the magnifier on my iPhone.  Three quick presses on the home button activates it.  Center over the serial number, click.  Then it lets you zoom in.

I have a list of items and their serial numbers on my phone- along with their warranty dates.

Keeping battery covers separate from each other...... which processor.  Can you explain a bit more of the difficulty you are having with this?

I wear Sonnets.  The battery covers are the same for each sonnet.  I get a weak battery beeps about every 20 minutes with the right processor.  I switched battery cover sides and that switched the problem to the other side.  Therefore, I think I have a bad battery cover.  I put a star sticker on the one I think is bad, but maybe I should keep them separate even before one goes bad.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marv

I have had to replace loose Sonnet battery covers too for the same reason.  You can check with your Med-El Customer Service Rep to see if the battery door is still under warranty or if your insurance will cover a replacement.  You can also purchase a new Sonnet battery cover through the US Med-El Shop or through your customer service rep.

Since I have had that experience more than once with my Sonnets, I keep spare battery covers in my travel kit.

Mary Beth, thankyou for your help.  Turns out the battery cover is still under warranty

• HearPeers Heroes

You are welcome @Marv.  I’m glad it was still under warranty.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 4/1/2019 at 5:02 PM, Mary Beth said:

I have typed up a list of all serial numbers and warranty dates too.  It is helpful to have all of that info in one place.

That's a good idea, thanks, @Mary Beth - I should do that.

• HearPeers Heroes

It has been helpful.