Help with Bluetooth for both Rondo 2 and Sonnett

lizjlong

Can someone please guide me through setting up my bluetooth for both processors?

I have the Rondo 2 and the BTE Sonnett. I have charged both the "My Link" and the "Roger Select". I have an iPhone 8+, so i had to buy a headphone jack adapter cable since the iPhone does not have a jack.

Now I'm lost. I am trying to connect either processor to my iPhone to be able to listen to my playlist that i have in an app on my iPhone, Spotify. I used the fine tuner to make sure it was in "MT" or "T", but I still cannot hear my music with either the Rondo 2 or the Sonnett.

Any and all help would be very appreciated. I'm just frustrated!!!

Thank you very much,

Liz Long

Make sure your Roger Select is "connected" in your iPhone Bluetooth settings or plugged into the iPhone. Also, sometimes after setting it all up, I find I need to turn the Roger Select off, then on again. (Also check the volume settings on the phone and the Roger My Link)

Hope that helps!

• HearPeers Heroes

@lizjlong

First be sure your neckloop receiver says ROGER MyLink and not just MyLink.  Roger tech ONLY works with Roger tech.

Next be sure your Roger MyLink is fully charged.

Then you must pair the Roger Select with the Roger MyLink.  Follow the pairing directions for Roger Select.

Now you are ready to use the Roger System.

If you plug into your sound source, no BT pairing between the Roger Select and the phone is needed.

If you wish to use your phone for BT phone calls, it must be paired with the Roger Select.

When using the Roger MyLink, your processors can be on MT (50/50 mix) or T (sound source only).

Hi Mary Beth, 

i have done all above and it’s still not working.

i do have both the Roger My Link and the Roger Select. 

Let me give you an example. For Sonnett, I was told the Bluetooth is built in, for the Rondo 2, it is not.

if I want to use the Rondo 2 processor to listen to music on my iPhone, I need both the Roger my link and the Roger select and the headphone jack connected from Roger select to my phone? And pair the Roger select to my phones Bluetooth settings . And from my fine tuner choose MT or T. Then hit play on my Spotify app on my IPhone? I have done all the above , both with the Rondo 2 and the Sonnett and hear nothing .

HELP !! It should not be this hard.

Thank you in advance!

• HearPeers Heroes

@lizjlong

Neither the Sonnet nor the Rondo 2 can stream music directly from phone to processor.

My favorite BT streaming is with the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop with my processors on T.

Let’s do a test.  When you hold the Fine Tuner in front of your face and press the bilateral button and then press T, do you hear the beeps and both left and right processors move into T?

The Fine Tuner only can save one left and one right processor for connecting at a time so whichever processors are set up are the ones to use.

I don't know what a Artone Max BT neckloop is. I have Med-el processors and the assisted listening devices that came in my box are the Roger My Link (neckloop) and the Roger select.

• HearPeers Heroes

@lizjlong

Okay.music will travel from your sound source (phone) through the cable to the Roger Select.  Then through Roger proprietary 2.4 to the Roger MyLink (worn around your neck).  Your Roger MyLink must be synced with the Roger Select in order for this to happen.  After that the sound will be picked up by your processor telecoil if you are in MT or T.  

Things to check.....

-can you move to MT or T via your Fine Tuner?  If you press the correct arrow for whichever side you have your processor on and then press T you should hear a beep and then your processor mic will be quiet.

-Did you sync your Roger MyLink with your Roger Select?

• 1 month later...

i have connect

On 7/26/2019 at 10:14 PM, Mary Beth said:

@lizjlong

Neither the Sonnet nor the Rondo 2 can stream music directly from phone to processor.

My favorite BT streaming is with the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop with my processors on T.

Let’s do a test.  When you hold the Fine Tuner in front of your face and press the bilateral button and then press T, do you hear the beeps and both left and right processors move into T?

The Fine Tuner only can save one left and one right processor for connecting at a time so whichever processors are set up are the ones to use.

i got the Artone too with Rondo 2 and its easy to connect with laptop, if i dont want to use headphone however it got short battery life like around 2.5-3hrs. Sometime there's some weird disturbance noise whenever its connected but it get back to normal when i switch the MT to M.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

hmmm when we switch MT to M we no longer hear from the Artone.

Being on MT or T can encounter EMI (electromagnetic interference).  It sounds like buzzing or static or pulsing.  Sometimes moving to a different location gets rid of it.  Sometimes it is connected to washing machines/dryers/ microwaves/power lines/ etc.

I purchased an additional Artone and switch between them on long streaming days.  One is always charged and ready.

If you don’t mind being plugged into your laptop, CozyPhones work great with Rondo 2.

https://www.cozyphones.com/collections/active/products/black-active-cozyphones

25 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Salik

hmmm when we switch MT to M we no longer hear from the Artone.

Being on MT or T can encounter EMI (electromagnetic interference).  It sounds like buzzing or static or pulsing.  Sometimes moving to a different location gets rid of it.  Sometimes it is connected to washing machines/dryers/ microwaves/power lines/ etc.

I purchased an additional Artone and switch between them on long streaming days.  One is always charged and ready.

If you don’t mind being plugged into your laptop, CozyPhones work great with Rondo 2.

https://www.cozyphones.com/collections/active/products/black-active-cozyphones

Yes its interference like buzzing sound of old tubelight or static....only hearing wenever its connected....m no longer using Artone as its sometime give me headache.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

I wonder why you are getting electromagnetic interference on MT with your laptop?  I can use my Artone neckloop with a BlueTooth connection to laptops without any interference.

Have you tried just switching to MT WITHOUT the Artone turned on and sitting where you use your laptop to see if the interference is in your room?

21 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Salik

I wonder why you are getting electromagnetic interference on MT with your laptop?  I can use my Artone neckloop with a BlueTooth connection to laptops without any interference.

Have you tried just switching to MT WITHOUT the Artone turned on and sitting where you use your laptop to see if the interference is in your room?

Even i dont know what going on, i have tried MT & T both but no changes, whenever i switch to M its goes to normal and obviously its disconnected to Artone neckloop.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

hmm.... maybe try this.  Pair the Artone to something else (phone).  See if the unpleasant sound happens.  

It may be a problem with the connection to your laptop.

4 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Salik

hmm.... maybe try this.  Pair the Artone to something else (phone).  See if the unpleasant sound happens.  

It may be a problem with the connection to your laptop.

i tried with my phone as well (google pixel 3) and with my office laptop as well, its same interference noise.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

Have you tried it with your phone, outside away from power lines?  Does it happen there?

• 3 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 12:50 PM, lizjlong said:

Hi Mary Beth, 

i have done all above and it’s still not working.

i do have both the Roger My Link and the Roger Select. 

Let me give you an example. For Sonnett, I was told the Bluetooth is built in, for the Rondo 2, it is not.

if I want to use the Rondo 2 processor to listen to music on my iPhone, I need both the Roger my link and the Roger select and the headphone jack connected from Roger select to my phone? And pair the Roger select to my phones Bluetooth settings . And from my fine tuner choose MT or T. Then hit play on my Spotify app on my IPhone? I have done all the above , both with the Rondo 2 and the Sonnett and hear nothing .

HELP !! It should not be this hard.

Thank you in advance!

Sonnet DOES NOT have bluetooth.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Melissa

The Sonnet 2 does list built in BT in its technical info.  I believe at the present moment the built in BT is only being used for the Sonnet 2 to directly connect to phones for the AudioKey app, which functions as:

-remote

-speech processor test device

-find my processor

-guardian controls

So  it seems like Sonnet 2 does have built in BT but direct streaming of audio from device to Sonnet 2 is not available.

(By the way....Sonnet 1 does not have this built in BT and it is why Sonnet 1 can not communicate directly with the AudioKey app.  It must go through the AudioLink intermediary device to connect with the AudioKey app.)

Always lots to learn on this ever changing CI journey.  I love it!

Here is what I read about Sonnet 2 technical info:

2A277569-B5EE-45CD-B17A-9FBC848A5049.png

Actually, I checked my notes from the rep meeting and the literature I got on Sonnet 2 and it DOES NOT indicate it has bluetooth. Where did your information come from? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Melissa

I read it somewhere online in the Sonnet 2 user manual under technical data. (Med-El does not upload user manuals but they can be seen online elsewhere.)

The most accurate info will be from your Med-El reps.

I have never read anything about BT audio streaming directly from devices with Sonnet 2.

I have only read about using BT to communicate directly with the AudioKey app.

Right. I think Med El must have an engineering problem with power consumption. No bluetooth streaming because it takes a lot of power. That is also why Sonnet 2's battery life is so much shorter than other companies.

• HearPeers Heroes

Advances in BT LE will enable all hearing devices to 

-use less power

-send to more than one processor

-hopefully send true stereo music (separate left/right audio)

Fun times ahead!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/bluetooths-le-audio-allows-better-audio-quality-hearing-aid-support/

Yes, BT LE is what a competitor is using! But maybe Med El cant do that with it's current battery issues?