I should’ve known better

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

After 4.5 years with my CIs, I really should’ve known better last night.

We went to see To Kill A Mockingbird on Broadway.  I do not usually use any assistive listening devices at live theater events unless I am testing out some new tech so I did not bring my FineTuner remote with me.  Bad decision.  The actor playing Atticus, Jeff Daniels, was so quiet and hard to hear.  At intermission I raced to the assistive tech booth to see if they had ALD with headphones.  Nope.  Infra-red ear buds or loops.  Loops would’ve been perfect IF I had a way to switch to MT.  A remote app would’ve been very helpful last night.  So I made a mental note to bring my FineTuner to live theater events in the future. (It turns out that everyone was having difficulty hearing Atticus, even typically hearing people.  Something must’ve been wrong was his mic.  It was better during the second half.)

I used the GalaPro captioning app to help for the second half.  It worked great.

When the show ended, everyone in the theater was shocked that it was raining (really hard) even though no rain was forecasted until overnight.  Sigh.  No umbrella. No raincoat.  Nowhere to put my processors to keep them dry.  No plastic bags anywhere.  I wish I had brought my umbrella!  The weather app now said rain for hours! So I zipped my processors into my wallet, secured it as best as I could and walked back to the hotel in the rain.  It was strange walking through NYC, crowded with wet tourists, in the rain and absolute quiet.  Thankfully the little zip wallet kept my processors completely dry!

I got lucky.

Next time....my FineTuner, a waterproof bag or an umbrella/raincoat!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - yikes, that must have been frustrating.  I'd love to see that play, I read about it in a magazine.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

It was a great play.  I hope you get to see it.

Thankfully all of the other characters were easy to hear.  Have you used GalaPro anywhere yet? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - no, I've completely lost the habit of going to the theatre.  The last play I saw was Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf at the Guthrie - Patrick Stewart and Mercedes Ruehl.  It was probably twenty years ago.  Ah ha.  Yes, nearly so.  2001.  Someone needs to tell Jeff Daniels to take Atticus on the road and come to Minneapolis!

@Mary Beth sorry to hear about your weather misfortune luck on your side for the zip wallet I have a man bag that I use and take every where even with all the technology the weather is unpredictable especially for us eastern folks.When I go to Florida weather forecaster says bright sun ,blue skies and light chop waves from the the Gulf of Mexico