day after surgery turn on

Steven Ulven

Hello all:  I am scheduled for my second implant in July at Mayo in Rochester.  I had a great experience with the first one and am looking forward to this one.  I have a question for the group.  Has anyone had their implant "turned on" the day after surgery?  For my first one it was three or four weeks later that I received the processor and was turned on.  If you have, how was that experience?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Steven Ulven

Congratulations on your upcoming CI!  Being bilateral is awesome!

Which processor did you choose?

I have not had activations the day following surgery but I have read people’s reports of that.  As expected, it may be a bit uncomfortable to wear the processor on your ear that soon.  Some people have secured the processor in various ways off their sore ear.  Hearing wise.....everyone reported good results.  Wishing you the best!

Thank you for the reply.  I have a sonnet (and Rondo that I don't wear).  I plan to get the sonnet 2 and will look into upgrading the other in December after my five year anniversary.  I was surprised to find out they do day after activations now.  I guess I need to keep up to date.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Steven Ulven Wow, I've never heard of turning on that soon.  My incision was painful for a long time, but if you can find a way to get the processor off your ear, as @Mary Beth says, it would be cool to be hearing already.  Maybe use your Rondo for a while?

Also, if you're going to Mayo, do you live in Minnesota?  I was implanted at the U of M.

@Steven UlvenCongrats on your surgery amazing that you were activated so soon. I am bilateral my first operation was in 2016 and the second in 2018 I have the the Sonnets and I was eligible for a free Rondo 2 which I wear very frequently I really enjoy the Rondo.

Keep in touch as you journey down the new path of hearing

I am actually in North Dakota.  My experience at Mayo has been great.  I am really curious how the day after turn on will work.  Hopefully it will go well.  I would love to hear from someone that experienced that.  I searched the forum and was not able to find a discussion on that topic.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Steven Ulven

Welcome to HearPeers! 

I recall reading about activations 1 day after surgery being done in Europe but never in the US. The persons spoke about it on a Facebook forum. I recall they put the processor in plastic and it rested off the ear. I don't recall anyone complaining. Glad to hear it's catching on in the US. Please let us know how it goes for you. All the best. 

Thank you all for the feedback.  I have been looking around for some more information on the next day turn on, so I appreciate the links Mary Beth. It will be a long two month wait for surgery, but it should also go really fast.  In the mean time, if anyone sees any information related to next day activations, please let me know.

• 1 month later...

One week away from going bi-lateral with the next day activation.  I am excited to see what this new part of my journey will be like and how well the next day activation works.

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck, @Steven Ulven!  If you're driving to Rochester depending on your route you can wave as you go by:  I'm not far from Hwy 7 west of Hutchinson, MN.

• HearPeers Heroes

All the best @Steven Ulven.

Next day activation will be exciting. I hope you will keep us posted as to how things go. 

So the surgery went well.  Resting up and trying to get rid of dry mouth and throat.  Looking forward to activation tomorrow afternoon.

Steve

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Steven Ulven

Terrific!  Looking forward to reading all about your activation one day after surgery.  Rest easy.

• Thanks 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Steven Ulven

That's good. I remember sleeping in bed with about 6 pillows propping my head up postop. 

Drinking lots of liquids should help with dry mouth feeling you're having. 

Rest up and all the best with activation tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

I went to the activation this afternoon and it went really well.  The sound for the new side seems louder and more tinny than my old one but I understand that will improve.  The plus is I am able to understand speech with just the new side.  I am thrilled with that.  Initially my Audi was going to keep the processor off the ear but the incision does not hurt at all so I am trying it on the ear for now. Thanks for all the well wishes.  No to go through my new box of goodies.😀

• Like 4

• HearPeers Heroes

That's great, @Steven Ulven!  I remember having an easier time of it with the second surgery too.  The really cool thing is doing rehab with both and getting two good ears!  Have you gone home yet, or are you still in Rochester?